Winn Dixie bidding deadline passes quietly

mediamongrel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't know anything about the Pep Boys on Harris and Central being a Kroger at one time do you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edit: It was a Harris Teeter before, not a Kroger.. the Pep Boys store on Albemarle at Harris Blvd intersection.

here is where i found the info

http://www.groceteria.com/charlotte/address-spreadsheet.html

that dude got a LOT of grocery history/info for Charlotte, apparently he's still working on it but i'm sure you'll have a field day with it as I did.

AWG did NOT buy the Fayetteville locations. A NC based company actually has worked out purchasing these locations. The bid for these stores was a joint effort between AWG and Alex Lee, Inc. (of Hickory, NC; parent company of Merchants Distibutors, Inc(a grocery wholesaler) and Lowe's Foods) The Fayetteville Observer reported that AWG bought these store Thursday and corrected the report today.

Link to 7/22 story in Fayetteville Observer

These stores should be independantly owned and will NOT be Lowes Foods stores. Alex Lee, Inc. also negotiated successfully on several other sites in NC, SC, and GA. Stores re-opening are contigent upon lease negotiations with landlords and approval by the bankruptcy court judge.

I know Harris Teeter lost their bid for the Boone, NC location. I have been told Ingles has purchased that site.

Watauga Democrat story about Boone WD

Stay Tuned... the final word about WD isn't in yet!

AWG did NOT buy the Fayetteville locations.  A NC based company actually has worked out purchasing these locations.  The bid for these stores was a joint effort between AWG and Alex Lee, Inc. (of Hickory, NC; parent company of Merchants Distibutors, Inc(a grocery wholesaler) and Lowe's Foods)  The Fayetteville Observer reported that AWG bought these store Thursday and corrected the report today.

Link to 7/22 story in Fayetteville Observer

These stores should be independantly owned and will NOT be Lowes Foods stores.  Alex Lee, Inc. also negotiated successfully on several other sites in NC, SC, and GA.  Stores re-opening are contigent upon lease negotiations with landlords and approval by the bankruptcy court judge.

I know Harris Teeter lost their bid for the Boone, NC location.  I have been told Ingles has purchased that site.

Watauga Democrat story about Boone WD

Stay Tuned... the final word about WD isn't in yet!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh ok.. thanks for the update

edit i also saw this: http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story...p-9051334c.html

There were actually two Winn-Dixies in Boone up until 2-3 years ago.  The original one (built in the 80s) closed down 2(?) years ago and is still empty.  The newer one (built in '93) was purchased by Ingles. 

Happy that Ingles looks to have got it...I easily prefer them over HT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never been inside an Ingle's store but I know they dominate Asheville like no other...

Ingle's has really come a long way.

I remember their old stores quite well with the stone exterior and the shade of orange and yellow as their overhead. Inside, the produce deparment was all green and blue, and most of the store had a tray ceiling effect.

Their new stores are very nice. Their enterances and exits have skylit ceilings, a reading area where you can sit down to read literature, an a full video rental department. Their new stores have arrannged their deli and bakery in a format similar to some Winn Dixie Marketplace stores, but much more open. They are perhaps the first supermarket I know of in this area to have a drive-through pharmacy.

I wish there were more Ingle's down in Greenville County.

I hate to say it, but being in the grocery biz I don't see even the "reduced footprint" Winn-Dixie lasting for long. They are too top heavy, have dated stores, and can't decide on a marketing stategy. They should have never left the "We are the Beef People" behind.

They decided to empahsize price, and with WalMart Supercenters everywhere now, you can't do that. WalMart has the price image, for better or worse, and the competition needs to realize that and focus on what they do best (be it fresh products, additional services, customer service, cleaner stores, etc.) I had to go thru 12 Winn Dixie stores as part of the bid process for customers and I can attest that the stores were dated in every way. It's a shame for a company that used to have stores up into Indiana and out to Texas.

Food Lion is also having image problems, especially in South Georgia and Florida where they are starting to rename locations (such as Harvey's) to try and get a fresh start for these locations. Grocery stores are being attacked on every angle by c-stores, drug stores, dollar stores, discounters, and membership clubs. There will probably be more fallout as "everyone" tries to sell food.

Wal-Mart is not as cheap as they say or everybody thinks. I went to W-M and found some Tide detergent for 17.99 on sale, I bought it and then went to Target to do some other shopping, and what do you know I found the same Tide for 15.49 on regular price! wal-mart sucks and I hate it!

Wal-Mart is not as cheap as they say or everybody thinks. I went to W-M and found some Tide detergent for 17.99 on sale, I bought it and then went to Target to do some other shopping, and what do you know I found the same Tide for 15.49 on regular price! wal-mart sucks and I hate it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People either love or hate walmart :)

I think it depends on what you are buying...size, type etc. Generally Walmart doesnt have traditional "sale" prices as other stores are known to have. (they have "flyers" but generally those cover "special buys", not regular merchandise.) It also might have something to do with any competition that is nearby. Here in Burlington, I have found most products to be the lowest price @ walmart...with other products following suit if they see otherwise. Walmarts often discount things differently within different markets. I have seen some things on sale at one Walmart that are not on sale at another. Our walmart has a LOT of competition to contend with-so is pretty "with it" price wise on general household things as well as grocery items.

People either love or hate walmart  :)

I think it depends on what you are buying...size, type etc.  Generally Walmart doesnt have traditional "sale" prices as other stores are known to have.  (they have "flyers" but generally those cover "special buys", not regular merchandise.)  It also might have something to do with any competition that is nearby.  Here in Burlington, I have found most products to be the lowest price @ walmart...with other products following suit if they see otherwise.  Walmarts often discount things differently within different markets.  I have seen some things on sale at one Walmart that are not on sale at another.  Our walmart has a LOT of competition to contend with-so is pretty "with it" price wise on general household things as well as grocery items.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Getting back to Winn-Dixie, wasn't there one off of Lawndale in Greensboro?

Yeah, its still abandoned and boarded up and looks ugly and depressing and lonely

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I lived in Greensboro some years back, I shopped at that Winn Dixie all the time. It was a great small store with great prices. They were usually even cheaper than the Food Lion down the street. However, it was a very old Winn Dixie.

I wonder if any1 will buy the Winn Dixie in Mebane. It has a great location and is pretty new (it hopped from across the street sometime in the late '90's to it's present location). It was pretty much the biggest place to shop in Mebane until recently....of course now the big box invasion is hitting Mebane, so that title is already gone.

Also, believe it or not the Winn Dixie in K-Mart Plaza off Roxboro Road in Durham is pretty new, well by Winn Dixie standards. They hopped next door to an abandoned Phar-mor within the shopping center sometime around '95ish, vacating their old store, which was immediately replaced by a Big Lots. Of course the K-Mart in the shopping center closed in the 2002 round of closings, and the Winn Dixie will be as well, leaving only Big Lots and a 2nd run movie theater, with some small stores thrown in.

When I was growing up in Durham my mom always went to Winn Dixie to shop. She considered Krogers expensive, and there was only one or 2 Food Lions in that part of town, and we only ran to Harris Teeter if we were leaving the mall (Northgate) and she needed to pick up a few things. The store we went to most frequently was in Loehmans Plaza off Hillandale Road. That store closed sometime in the early '90's, at which point we started going to the one at North Duke Mall, beside Roses, which closed sometime around '95, when they expanded the K-Mart Plaza store. That store became Staples shortly before North Duke Mall was de-malled. Then in '95 we moved to Hillsborough and started shopping at Byrds, but that's a whole nother story :-p

Archived