NY Times on Pgh Real Estate

mjcatl2

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/20/realesta...l?oref=userland

Positive

Development has accelerated over the last five years. On the North Shore, facing the downtown across the Allegheny River, home fields for the Pirates and Steelers flank new commercial construction. On the South Side, old steel mill sites along the Monongahela are host to a mix of retail, high-tech office space and housing. A revived downtown theater district and convention center have attracted night life and apartment living.
and, well...

Despite those successes, office vacancy rates have hovered above 18 percent since mid-2004, and a move to revive retailing in the central business district has repeatedly failed.

But overall, a good article. The Times has more than once highlighted the city's amenities, particularly culturally, and this is an overall positive outlook to NY Times readers.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent link Mj,

I forget sometimes how other cities travel sections or business sections sometimes put the limelight on this region. I agree that all the slow progress in the "central business district" is a sore point, I'd like to see SOMETHING happen down there, but then again it is SLOW because of the NON-use of emminet domain, just like the cross town WSJ criticized us for using like a sword in the 1950s with Gateway Center. Too fast then, too slow now, you just can't win those press people ;)

Glad to see a more positive article. It is a breath of fresh air. I do hope the readers don't focus overly much on the negatives in the article. But at least they should come away with a good impression overall.

Edit - I just read the whole article. It really is very positive. My only complaint is that it ended on a less than positive note (the failure of the 5th and Forbes redevelopment efforts).

Archived