Ritz-Carlton Hotel

atlrvr

What CLT site?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i took that to mean the charlotte forum of UP. i notice that there were a large number online trying to find out what was up w/ the ritz. certainly there wasn't much info on charlotte.com. ... they still had "ritz coming to uptown? conference at 3:30" for hours after the news conference. UP is where it's at. :)

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was thinking that too.

i have a question along those same lines. Does anyone know enough about the inerds of founders hall enough to know whether they would ever be able to open up some retail spaces facing college and fifth? What is directly inside those brick walls on those two sides? Right now, founder's hall is the biggest barrier to a contiguous stretch of street-facing retail from hearst plaza to epicenter.

bofa would never have put forth the expense for that just for the idealism of street-facing retail... but now that they are building a ritz across the street, and with so much intensity of retail going across the street at epicentre, it seems like there might be a business case for it... they can charge better rent (and the business do better) by opening up to the street. They did this with starbucks and others in the independence center...so maybe they can do it in founders hall.

i was thinking that too. 

i have a question along those same lines.  Does anyone know enough about the inerds of founders hall enough to know whether they would ever be able to open up some retail spaces facing college and fifth?  What is directly inside those brick walls on those two sides?    Right now, founder's hall is the biggest barrier to a contiguous stretch of street-facing retail from hearst plaza to epicenter.

bofa would never have put forth the expense for that just for the idealism of street-facing retail... but now that they are building a ritz across the street, and with so much intensity of retail going across the street at epicentre, it seems like there might be a business case for it... they can charge better rent (and the business do better) by opening up to the street.  They did this with starbucks and others in the independence center...so maybe they can do it in founders hall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some photos to help you figure it out. They are better explained in this thread.

founders2.jpg

founders4.jpg

founders3.jpg

the hall, though (in the first two pix) is a level up from the college street ground level. i know there is a stairwell that leads out to college behind that double staircase. I wonder what is on the next level down that might be converted to streetlevel retail. maybe this weekend i'll go check it out for curiosity sake.

i was thinking that too. 

i have a question along those same lines.  Does anyone know enough about the inerds of founders hall enough to know whether they would ever be able to open up some retail spaces facing college and fifth?  What is directly inside those brick walls on those two sides?    Right now, founder's hall is the biggest barrier to a contiguous stretch of street-facing retail from hearst plaza to epicenter.

bofa would never have put forth the expense for that just for the idealism of street-facing retail... but now that they are building a ritz across the street, and with so much intensity of retail going across the street at epicentre, it seems like there might be a business case for it... they can charge better rent (and the business do better) by opening up to the street.  They did this with starbucks and others in the independence center...so maybe they can do it in founders hall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The corner of College and 5th contains practice halls for the Charlotte Symphony and is controlled by the Blumenthal. It's a fairly large space and is sometime used for special events and shows. There's a doctors office at College and Trade. Don't really think anything could be done to change any of it enough to make a big difference. I'd actually like to see the Omni/NCNB Plaza garage changed on College. Talk about a blank wall!

oh yeah, i forgot about the omni wall.. that is worse by far. the brick and advertisement windows redeem founders hall slightly.

for the founders hall/blumenthal rooms, perhaps they can cut some windows for those practice rooms ala the bobcat's practice court 2 blocks away on 5th. At least that would provide something interesting/interactive on that stretch.

back to the topic of the ritz:

on http://www.ritzcarlton.com they have news items of their future hotel in moscow

moscow_hotelhome.jpg

The Ritz-Carlton, Moscow is scheduled to open mid-year 2006 with 332-rooms, including 76 suites. The 11-story hotel, ideally located near the Kremlin and the adjacent Red Square, will offer a new standard of luxury and service for visitors. 

Featuring the largest guest rooms in the city measuring 452 square feet/42 square meters, room decor showcases polished dark cherry woods and burl wood veneers, while bathrooms will be finished with marble from the Altai Mountains.

and one in dubai

new_dubai_hotelhome.jpg

A soaring contemporary design on Sheikh Zayed Road, The Ritz-Carlton Dubai, International Financial Centre will stand 15 stories high. The interior will blend elements of modern style and classic Arabic design elements for a showplace of luxury and elegance.

The 330 guestrooms and suites will include a Ritz-Carlton Suite and Royal Suite with the convenience and comfort suitable to host visiting dignitaries and delegations.  In addition to the hotel, there will be 121 serviced and managed apartments.

and a 53 story one in toronto

toronto_hotelhome.jpg

The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto and The Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto will be a $300 million development located on the south side of Wellington Street, between Simcoe and John Streets. 

The 700,000 sq. ft. facility features a five-star hotel with 267 rooms and 135 condominium residences in a stately, elegant point tower destined to become a city landmark.

and yet another one in Szenzhen

shenzhen_hotelhome.jpg

Opening in 2007, the 25-story hotel -located adjacent to the Shenzhen Convention and Exhibition Centre in the Futian Central Business District -will be the sixth strategic site in China for the award-winning hotel company.

Contemporary in design, The Ritz-Carlton, Shenzhen will offer the most spacious guestrooms and suites in the city.  The 245-room hotel will be equipped with state-of-the-art technology, including wireless access and flat screen televisions.  The majority of the guest rooms will include a free-standing bathtub offering a view overlooking the city.

But no mention of Charlotte....

Congratulations!!!

We are jealous as hell in Nashville. We keep hearing development rumors about a 'W' but a Ritz would be awesome. I expect that we are some years away. Anyway I just wanted to say 'great get'.

This is excellent news for Charlotte, this hotel is really going to complete those few blocks of Charlotte with the epicentre, arena, blumenthal, BOA, and not to mention being so close to LRT. I can only hope that Founders Hall will rise to the occasion and get some decent retail.

EXCELLENT news for Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe someone else has mentioned this already but the thing that made me most happy about the press conference was when BOA's CEO talked about how this project would help Wachovia build their project by contributing tax dollars to "the cause" of moving the Mint back downtown, having WFU Law School here, etc.... That moment made me proud of this city. :alc:

:shifty: He also mentioned that he hoped that this development would help to convince NASCAR to build their Hall of Fame in Charlotte (not sure of how these two are connected though...).

This is excellent news for Charlotte, this hotel is really going to complete those few blocks of Charlotte with the epicentre, arena, blumenthal, BOA, and not to mention being so close to LRT. I can only hope that Founders Hall will rise to the occasion and get some decent retail.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YES! Another surface parking lot GONE!!!!! :thumbsup:

Maybe someone else has mentioned this already but the thing that made me most happy about the press conference was when BOA's CEO talked about how this project would help Wachovia build there project by contributing tax dollars to "the cause". 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

was that lobbying, or do you think they already have their gentlemen's agreements and secret handshakes in place?

He also mentioned that he hoped that this development would help to convince NASCAR to build their Hall of Fame in Charlotte (not sure of how these two are connected though...).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the easy answer is that it adds 150 centrally located hotel rooms, it also is an indicator that the city is going through some big changes and that NASCAR should be a part of those.

Strangely enough...it seems to be true. 

I did notice though that Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle are among the US "major" cities without a Ritz.  Chicago????!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Congratulations Charlotte!!!!!!!

By the way AmericanUrbanDesigner, Chicago does have a Ritz Carlton. It's combined with a Four Season.

The Ritz Chicago:

The Ritz

I must say that I love the Ritz.....between the Ritz, The Four Seasons, The Intercontinetal or the Grand Hyatt, it's hard to pick which one is the best. :wub:

was that lobbying, or do you think they already have their gentlemen's agreements and secret handshakes in place?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, Dubone, I WISH I knew!!! I'm extremely hopeful. These are some of the world's greatest financial minds at work here so, I remain hopeful that they see the fiscal significance of this project and that their vision will have an impact on the Council's decisions.

As an aside, I was thinking today as I'm been shopping around for a condo, that there has been and will be, a lot of public money spent by the City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County to help the Charlotte region's core. I don't find this problematic though.

Inevitably, I think that having a solid - strong - core that we can "show off" to the world does help everyone. The fact is, Uptown is the Charlotte region's "face" and in order for us to compete with the other "great" faces ringing the globe, it really has to be incredible.

Congratulations Charlotte!!!!!!!

By the way AmericanUrbanDesigner, Chicago does have a Ritz Carlton. It's combined with a Four Season.

The Ritz Chicago:

The Ritz

I must say that I love the Ritz.....between the Ritz, The Four Seasons, The Intercontinetal or the Grand Hyatt, it's hard to pick which one is the best.  :wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank goodness!

Now, on to attracting a Four Seasons... ;)

Archived