Ritz-Carlton Hotel

atlrvr

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to Uptown.  That's a nice looking hotel.  The only thing I'd like to see changed or eliminated, is the skywalk.  I like the urbanist idea of putting as many people on the street, to help support street retail & dining, as possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree with you, but for the record, the skywalk is already there and is part of the "overstreet mall" system and is not something being constructed in this project.

Personally I don't see why it would be that big of a deal to take it down. It seems like it would be a lot easier than building around it. I know some people don't want to be out on the sidewalks but that seems so petty.

As a second note on College street. I would really like to see some sidewalk improvments go in along there. Nice paver sidewalks instead of concrete.

The Skywalk allows pedestrian traffic get across College Street safely. BofA will be the owner of the Ritz here in Charlotte. I'm sure that they will be the main users of the conference space, grand ballroom and boardroom. Also, several people use that walk to get to the parking deck. I don

One thing I am really loving about this right now is that a year ago we were bemoaning the loss of a "ritz like" hotel to a suburban area with Dee Dee's seven eagles proposal.  Now we get to have the real thing uptown since Dee Dee is a screw up!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just a bit more insight on the Seven Eagles/Ritz deal:

Date: 2005-07-20 15:49:04

Reply: http://www.cameronwood.com/forums/reply.php?topic_id=298

Hi Neighbors,

This is a "heads up" concerning the Harris Land project at Seven Eagles now being called "Quail Hollow Village".

Mary Settlemyre, President, Park-Quail Neighborhood Coalition (PQNC)

Heads Up to PQNC Neighbors

July 20, 2005

Because of potential questions that may arise as a result of an expected announcement today, July 20, by Bank of America, regarding plans for a Ritz Hotel in downtown Charlotte, Dee-Dee Harris, president of Harris Land Co., wanted residents of the Park/Quail Neighborhood Coalition to know first hand the facts about whether the bank

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...es/12185800.htm

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/12185804.htm

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/12185688.htm

today's observer article clears up some questions:

- 2 corp is dead... but there is still room for a differently designed tower.

- lewis picked the design to complement that of their other buildings

- this wasn't the project that ghazi was trying to win to be part of epicentre (or at least that is what he is claiming)

I think that the best news out of all of this is that for Ritz to commit, I would think that BofA would have had to reassure them extensively that they would not be relocating their corporate HQ to NYC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see why it matters. The Ritz could do well here, IMO. Goodness, there's one in Greensboro, GA of all places and it does well too. Charlotte and the Ritz are a good fit. Even if BofA relocated their HQ, The Ritz would continue to do well. Besides, if BofA does ever decide to relocate to NYC, I doubt they would disband all operations in Charlotte. They'd still be a huge presence here.

Because as I've learned, BofA and Wachovia are committed to maintaining a certain occupancy rate at the Ritz......as in, if they don't rent enough room, the banks will subsidize them......they wouldn't do this unless they were certain that they would be generating enough business betwen them.

And because BofA is spending $60M of their own money to build a hotel that is specific to accomodating their business clients and guests.

It certainly not fair to compare an urban Ritz in Charlotte to a resort Ritz just outside of Atlanta. Without the banks here, the Georgia resort would easily fill more rooms.

I don't see why it matters. The Ritz could do well here, IMO. Goodness, there's one in Greensboro, GA of all places and it does well too. Charlotte and the Ritz are a good fit. Even if BofA relocated their HQ, The Ritz would continue to do well. Besides, if BofA does ever decide to relocate to NYC, I doubt they would disband all operations in Charlotte. They'd still be a huge presence here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The chances of BofA relocating to NYC for their corporate HQ is less than 1%. I just want to throw that out there because there seems to be a lot of speculation on this board about that happening. The ONLY reason they are building their 1 billion dollar tower in NYC is because they are relocating their equity trading desk to NYC which make total sense, plus they NEED a presence in the Big Apple as all Banking and Fiancial Institutions do. The Charlotte based bank was born here and will STAY here. The ties of BofA go much deeper to Charlotte than a lot of people realize.

A2

B)

Darn Charlotte is on the move. Might have to make that move from Raleigh after all. Ritz-Carlton is world class. Atlanta dosent even have one yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. They have two. One very nice one in Buckhead. And the other (which is not a very nice one, IMO) in their CBD. The dtwn Ritz is literally a block down Peachtree from the Hard Rock Cafe' and right across the street from the Westin (The tall cylindar shaped bldg).

A2

Darn Charlotte is on the move. Might have to make that move from Raleigh after all. Ritz-Carlton is world class. Atlanta dosent even have one yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummmmmmmm........Atlanta has two. As stated earlier, there is a Ritz Carlton resort on Lake Oconee....a very affluent lake community in the middle of nowhere. It's about 105 east of downtown Atlanta.

Archived