Why doesnt WBTV just come out and say it?

QC704

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing about the local news which I find amusing is how many typographical errors they make in their on-screen graphics.  The other day during a live broadcast report I saw Charlotte spelled with one "t".  Just sloppy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And on WBTV last night, unfortunately a man was electricuted?! in west Charlotte. I know, I know I'm picking hairs and a lot of people would make the same mistake, but hey, I was a spelling bee champ ok?

And on WBTV last night, unfortunately a man was electricuted?! in west Charlotte. I know, I know I'm picking hairs and a lot of people would make the same mistake, but hey, I was a spelling bee champ ok?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL...I noticed the same thing...Im no spelling bee champ...but I knew that spelling looked wrong....gotta laugh....I love that Maureen O'Boyle anchor though. She reminds me of the anchor women in Phialdelphia. Very classy

Edited by Skyybutter

Maureen O'Boyle actually had a career in the national media, she was an entertainment anchor/reporter on Inside Edition or Entertainment Tonight back in the mid 90s. She came back to Charlotte because she's from here. Y'all remember that crazy weatherman on Fox News who got fired for admitting he went to rehab publicly. Three Halloweens ago, he came to do the weather in drags.

Maureen O'Boyle actually had a career in the national media, she was an entertainment anchor/reporter on Inside Edition or Entertainment Tonight back in the mid 90s. She came back to Charlotte because she's from here. Y'all remember that crazy weatherman on Fox News who got fired for admitting he went to rehab publicly. Three Halloweens ago, he came to do the weather in drags.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mark Mathis?

I have to be fair to Debi. She actually made the Nelson Mandella comment when she was in Kansas City 16 years ago. But I have to admit, I was only 23 then, not a journalist, but I still knew who Mandella was (is).

Working in aviation for most of my adult life provided me with many reasons to doubt television (and print) news media. They never got things as simple as airplane types correct. A 757 is NOT a widebody, a 767 does not have more than two engines, and just because it is a 737, it doesn't mean it only has 102 seats (it has been built in six different models and can hold as many as 162 passengers). I always found USA Today as being the worst about things like this, although CNN screwed up just as often.

I could not resist.  The correct spelling is OK or okay.  Using lowercase as you did, is incorrect.    :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

isn't capitalization a grammatical issue rather than a spelling issue? :)

i think i'm pretty good at spelling and grammar, but i'm usually horrified when i look back and read my own posts that were hastily written. i'm sure it is the same way for the tv news...

isn't capitalization a grammatical issue rather than a spelling issue? :)

i think i'm pretty good at spelling and grammar, but i'm usually horrified when i look back and read my own posts that were hastily written.  i'm sure it is the same way for the tv news...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The posts you make on a web forum are a little bit different than the news that goes out to thousands of people. You would think they could take the time to make sure they don't have these errors. They could at least try to seem reputable. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That explains it. I thought she looked famaliar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it was A Current Affair. Yeah she's from here. Graduated from West Charlotte.

Edited by Seeker

WBTV is beating this horse as hard as they can.  The lead story on the 6pm news tonight is going to be about the gang activity downtown.  And they already did a story on a boot camp for gang members.  Someone not familiar with the city would think this is South Central LA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I know. It's kind of ridiculous. I can't wait to talk to my grandma (who lives in little ol' Boiling Springs but still gets the Charlotte news). She'll be insisting that I move away from this dangerous place at once.

Not to say that gangs aren't an issue here, but I've never had any kind of knowledge or experience of gang-related activity.