Place Names

UptownGrrl

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Precisely...and most were exterior wood paneled Ford LTDs. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ours was a Plymouth Fury III wagon. I loved that flip up back seat so my brother and I could make faces at those traveling behind us on I-85.

While I believe Steve is right about the name for SouthPark, it has now become a canned name used for malls all over the country. So has NorthLake, the Galleria, Fashion Square/Center/Island, etc. Homogenous, bland, consumer-driven America. BTW, Atlanta also has a Northlake Mall (no capital L).

In my next life, I want to have the job of creating these rediculous names: Tract housing developments, shopping centers (or the more pretentious "shopping centres"), and paint and lipstick colors. People actually get paid to come up with this crap!

That said, MC, Charlote has the original SouthPark :)

:wacko: This is just me being anal, but I hate it when SouthPark is referred to as SouthPark Mall. It's SouthPark Shopping Center or SouthPark, like Carolina Place, Woodfield in Chicago and Fair Oaks in Washington.

Yeah, I'm aware it's a mall, if by any other name, but it's not labeled as such and should just be called SouthPark. It's simpler anyway :)

That said, MC, Charlote has the original SouthPark :)

:wacko: This is just me being anal, but I hate it when SouthPark is referred to as SouthPark Mall.  It's SouthPark Shopping Center or SouthPark, like Carolina Place, Woodfield in Chicago and Fair Oaks in Washington. 

Yeah, I'm aware it's a mall, if by any other name, but it's not labeled as such and should just be called SouthPark.  It's simpler anyway :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha. I call it SouthPark Mall and I call Carolina Place Pineville Mall. :)

On another note, Opt12 in Optimist Park was originally going to be called The Funk at 15th. I'm glad they went with the more generic on that one!

:wacko: This is just me being anal, but I hate it when SouthPark is referred to as SouthPark Mall.  It's SouthPark Shopping Center or SouthPark, like Carolina Place, Woodfield in Chicago and Fair Oaks in Washington. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm a native of Reston and have NEVER heard it referred to as simply "Fair Oaks". It's always "Fair Oaks Mall".

You too?  :D

They did have station wagons.  The mothers of today's soccer moms were Little League moms. 

After some thought and consulting my area map, I think SouthPark's name has something to do with the mall being South of Park Road. 

Neat, huh?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...and Park Road leads in and around Latta Park in Dilworth. So really Latta Park is the Granddaddy... the "EpiCentre" if you will, of the road names in South Charlotte.

speaking of Latta Park, has anyone ever seen a map of the original Park? I have heard stories of it being a much larger park (when dilworth was just East, Kingston and Worthington). I have combed the web and haven't been able to find anything...

Archived