IKEA in NC?

cosmoboy

Well now that i've been to the IKEA in atlanta and in DC I am creating a forum about how we want an IKEA in NC. I know there is really a great demand for that kind of store here in either Charlotte or RTP. I know they stratigically place their stores in high populated/concentrated areas. But, with Charlotte's population always growing every year I am hoping they will take a look at the area and eventually consider a store there. Since I am hoping to move to Charlotte right when I graduate I really do hope they get a store there. So basically post any comments of how you want an IKEA in NC and I'll e-mail it to one of my friends there at HQ and he will pass it on to the executives there in Pennsylvania.

Post em!

:)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be great to have an IKEA.  How big of a population is necessary to support one of their stores?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well they put one in atlanta and it has a pop. of about 435,000 and charlotte is way above that! But I guess MSA is also a factor and atlanta has charlotte beat with that.

yeah IKEA sells furniture for cheap prices. reasons for these prices are cheap materials (especially in lower priced kitchen cabinets), loading items yourself, cleaning up after yourself in the restaurant. and transporting stuff home yourself. It's a smart idea but I have noticed an increase in prices as the chain has been becoming more well known.

There have been rumors and even previous threads about IKEA looking at Charlotte. The Hal Marshall Site is the rumored location. I would like to have an IKEA but it has been said before that it isn't too hard to find cheap furniture in NC that far exceeds the quality of IKEA's. I don't know if NC's reputation as a big furniture manufacturing center with tons of outlets would scare IKEA away. However, some of those manufacturer's (like Thomasville) have multiple outlets in the state yet it doesn't seem to hurt their legit stores in Charlotte. I also think Charlotte consumers aren't as in tune with the state's furniture outlet advantages as the rest of the state seems to be. But for what it is worth I do think an IKEA would be very successful in Charlotte.

Also, I just bought a great THomasville sofa from the Hiickory outlet. $430.00!

I think south Charlotte would be the ideal location for an Ikea because of the growing population and because of the space needed for a store. Somewhere off of Route 485 would be ideal. Maybe somewhere in between the Matthews exit and Lawyers Rd. exit. These stores usually do a killing when they are seen from the highway because even visitors will go there, not just residents. Again though, the space required for an Ikea is probably 4 or 5 times the space needed for a Super Wal Mart. There are very big acquisitions of land when Ikea builds a store. And whoever mentioned Ikea being cheap import furniture should take a closer look at some of the crap that is in the furniture stores in North Carolina. Granted NC is known as furniture country, but a lot of the furniture companies know this and make a killing on cheap furniture to people who travel to NC for so-called "deals."

They also like cities with high foreigner populations like asian, european, and pacific islanders. When I went today down in Atlanta I saw ALOT of Indonesians, Indians, Asians and some Whites. Most of the whites there looked like they were from Buckhead and were there to kill time.

Well I thought IKEA could gowhere that new Expo and Target are going in uptown. It would be close to Southpoint and alot of the new condos and apartments being built. Another possible location would be off Wilkinson Blvd near the airport off I-485.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really don't think the amount of people living in Uptown is that great compared to the booming population of south Charlotte. Sure the people in center city need that kind of furniture, but then again if you live "in the city" then money probably isn't an issue for you, so you probably wouldn't be going to a lower priced furniture store like Ikea where you have to put things together yourself. Wilkinson and 485 is a good possibility too!

I feel that Ikea would do better in the triangle than in Charlotte. There are more colleges in that area, and more importantly, there are more people living in college dorms and apartments. Ikea is geared toward furnishing and decorating small spaces. Though we have many small condos here, they tend to be expensive and I'm not sure they are being purchased by people who would shop at Ikea. The triangle also tends to have more "artsy" people who would love Ikea things.

College crowds, artsy,... I don't think it really matters anymore - Ikea is pretty much a part of popular culture, there isn't much cutting edge about kitchen accessories or 79 cent toilet scrubs. Charlotte has the population & is accessible to people from Greenville & Greensboro & isn't that far from Raleigh - that is all that matters, that & people with money. Because their products are cheap, but honestly - you will spend plenty (first hand witness ;))

I feel that Ikea would do better in the triangle than in Charlotte. There are more colleges in that area, and more importantly, there are more people living in college dorms and apartments. Ikea is geared toward furnishing and decorating small spaces. Though we have many small condos here, they tend to be expensive and I'm not sure they are being purchased by people who would shop at Ikea. The triangle also tends to have more "artsy" people who would love Ikea things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're really right about that! And, teshadoh your also right because when I went there I thought I was just going to buy a few things for my dorm next year and then I ended up buying a couch, cups, computer table, lights, and a table for $479.56. Now I just have to find a way to hall all of it home to NC in my Honda CRV.

If IKEA were to be in the triangle then I would guess they would build it near RDU-Air, near the Knightdale Bypass to the east of raleigh, or up on Six Forks Rd near North Hills. IKEA typically likes to place their stores where they have alot of land because they don't liked to be packed in like sardines. Suburban areas have proven to be the best fit for them.

Archived