IKEA in NC?

cosmoboy

From what I've heard, Ikea plans to expand in the SE. In the immediate future they have at least one more store planned for Atlanta and at least one store in S. FL. (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale) Ikea doesn't seem to choose sites easily. They first became interested in the SE in like, 1999. They chose Atlanta for their first store in 2000. FIVE years later, they finally open the store. My best guess is they will hit a bit more of FL before officially moving this way. With that market, they can't afford not to open stores in FL right now... :)

When they do open in NC, eventually they'll have stores in both the Triangle and Charlotte. I think both markets can easily support an Ikea.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did you find all that out?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Atlanta newspaper and a newspaper in Miami. Ikea has picked a site between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. Before the Atlanta store opened, there was an article where Ikea stated they wanted to open more metro stores and were looking at locations.

I've been waiting years for an Atlanta Ikea, so I'd been reading about their effort to open a store there for years. :) The part about opening a store in Charlotte and the Triangle is speculation based on how Ikea normally operates.

Just go to the online one here at the website. Here's the Link

If you ordered one then it should arrive in like 3 or 4 weeks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, they won't send me one. They sent me an email telling me the catalog is not available in my area. I have only gotten one before, I believe it was around 2001 and I was in Chapel Hill then. I have been on the email list for years, but they won't send me a catalog. I'll just have to look at it online because I'm not going to buy one off Ebay!

No, they won't send me one. They sent me an email telling me the catalog is not available in my area. I have only gotten one before, I believe it was around 2001 and I was in Chapel Hill then. I have been on the email list for years, but they won't send me a catalog. I'll just have to look at it online because I'm not going to buy one off Ebay!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try again. They send out everywhere now. There was a time you could only get them in cerain areas, but Ikea by Mail has changed all that.

F0xym0p, I just got an email with a preview of the 2006 catalog. Just thought you'd like to see it.

Yeah I went there to the Woodbridge one and picked up a catalog, and while I was checking out some girl CHARGED me for it! I was in my motel room that night and looking over the receipts and there I saw it. I went back the next morning and raised some hell about it!

Thats crazy Cosmo - in our pre-Ikea days we always received a catalog in the mail, well come to think of it - the last one was about 5 years ago. Nonetheless, we had ordered a few things through them besides our purchases in San Diego.

As for future Ikea - off topic - but I would love one in the Atlanta suburbs just for the sake of reducing the crowds, they are still outrageous.

• 10 months later...

Well now that i've been to the IKEA in atlanta and in DC I am creating a forum about how we want an IKEA in NC. I know there is really a great demand for that kind of store here in either Charlotte or RTP. I know they stratigically place their stores in high populated/concentrated areas. But, with Charlotte's population always growing every year I am hoping they will take a look at the area and eventually consider a store there. Since I am hoping to move to Charlotte right when I graduate I really do hope they get a store there. So basically post any comments of how you want an IKEA in NC and I'll e-mail it to one of my friends there at HQ and he will pass it on to the executives there in Pennsylvania.

Post em!

:)

FYI-I have heard rumor from fairly reputable sources that an IKEA is in fact being considered in Charlotte. It would be located in the Concord Mills shopping mall.

That would be great news.

FYI-I have heard rumor from fairly reputable sources that an IKEA is in fact being considered in Charlotte. It would be located in the Concord Mills shopping mall.

That would be great news.

Not sure there is room in/around the mall perimeter for expansion (like the Circuit City one) of that size. It would make sense to go in that giant field across the street from all the restaurants and the mall though. Or near the new convention center. IKEA's need a LOT of space. They would do better in the mall, but I can't see another addition as the back side (Entrance 5-7) parking lot borders the county line. The only way they could afford to tear up the parking lot there is to build a parking deck along with it.

I'm with Tay.

One observation about Ikea: They cater to, or at least put out an image of, an "urban" appeal, yet their stores are way out in the 'burbs. And though they've made their way into the mainstream some, their products aren't typically found in your average, suburban, two-car garage household.

That's interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello North Carolina... I came across this forum and thought you guys would find this interesting. This is from an FAQ on Ikea's website. So it looks like there is a possibility of many more Southern Ikea stores.

"IKEA plans to open 5 new stores a year for 10 years as part of an aggressive expansion plan of 50 new stores. We will initially focus on serving our existing markets, and then move into new markets that we believe are compatible with the unique IKEA concept. Given this emphasis on first building a presence in the marketplace, we believe that 5 stores a year is a natural and aggressive next step for expansion.

We already are on track for our five new stores in 2005. At this rate, we will have more than doubled

well they put one in atlanta and it has a pop. of about 435,000 and charlotte is way above that! But I guess MSA is also a factor and atlanta has charlotte beat with that.

Yes, MSA is the most important factor when determining size or importance. Most companies base thier determination on metro populations. Still, Charlotte's CSA is over 2 million, which is larger than any Scandanavian city, and isn't that where the HQ for Ikea is? If they can put one there, I'm sure they could (and will) eventually put one in Charlotte too.

I still belive that IKEA will build one near Concord Mills. But several other sites on the 85 corridor are also possible. With the new malls in Burlington and G-boro under consturction. Also the Southpoint area too. As someone posted before, they could possible end up any were between Durham and Gastonia.

• 1 month later...

A lot of hip urbanites are willing to drive out to the burbs to patronize Ikea. Their stores typically draw people from up to two hours away.

Ikeas usually go in the suburbs and need lots of room. when the one opened in tempe (phoenix) 4 or 5 years back, there was a 6 hour wait to get into the store and the closest exit on the freeway was backed up for 4 miles. Ikea is ridiculously popular and it was reported one is opening in Utah I believe. Im actualy surprised Ikea didnt open in NC sooner. Ikea is most popular among college students and with the triangle, it would have had crazy business.

Yeah, look at the one at Potomac Mills, which is at least 25 miles from DC. The other one in the DC area is out near College Park, also off I-95/495.

Then you have the other DC-Baltimore one up at White Marsh Mall off of I-95 near I-695 east of Baltimore.

• 3 months later...

I think everyone is looking at this wrong...I don't think it's an issue of North Carolina being a furniture capital and being able to get furniture here cheap.

IKEA specializes in URBAN, contemporary furniture...you'll have to go to 20 stores and won't come up with more than a couple of pieces, and when you do, it's outrageously expensive.

All you find in Charlotte and surrounding areas, oak, oak, and more oak...which is so FAR out of style it's not even funny. Traditional to almost Victorian is what you find...that is why Pottery Barn and Ethan Allen can charge so much for it's furniture, anything that is less than Traditional is extremely expensive, and almost impossible to find.

If you do find it with Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel they charge you TRIPLE the shipping costs of any other furniture store...why? BECAUSE THEY CAN!

I have been looking for 3 years for a sideboard that I can put China in, and I don't want to pay $1500 for it. I'm looking to spend in the $400 to $600 range, mid quality,the color has to be black and in a contemporary syle.

Still looking for it.

Amen Reachthelimit. When I was looking to buy my mom some furniture for her bedroom, I was shocked and exhausted by the lack of Scandanavian, low profile modern furniture in NC. Everything was so oldtimey, heavy, and country ranch, I just gave up. We finally decided to order furniture from the Arlington Crate and Barrel and have them deliver it to Winston-Salem. With all of the people moving to NC from other states where modern furniture predominates, you would think there would be more stores there meeting their contemporary tastes.

Archived