IKEA in NC?

cosmoboy

The problem with "contemporary" furniture, is there is no such thing. There is furniture that is the trendy style of the moment that is often called contemporary and in 10 years the owners are looking to get rid of it. Some of these styles do become classics, but most of the time they don't. Contemporary is also used to describe cheap mass produced furniture like one would find in an Ikea.

There are some very nice non-traditional styles available in this area, but you are not going to find them in the malls, or the chain furniture stores. Look for brands such as Century, National Mt. Airy and other brands that you might see in rags such as architectural digest. These are all available and produced in NC. Of course you are not talking about cheap furniture either.

My recommendation for buying good quality furniture that isn't that expensive, is to work the estate auctions. You would be surprised at what goes at these events, especially the ones that are located in the more affluent areas of the city.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised no one has mention the Triad. I think the Triad should get it, particularly High Point with it being the Furniture capital of the world in all and hosting the International Home Furnishings Market (The world's largest furniture market) twice a year. High Point is a no brainer. People already trek far away from other cities to High Point to buy furniture so we know an IKEA will draw people from distances. The Triad has the population and a central location in North Carolina is best anyway as it will draw customers from Charlotte and Raleigh. High Point is a good location. We are talking about a city that has a Bentley auto dealership. (the only one in the Carolinas). If you look at Bentley's websites you'll see that dealerships are only located in major cities or very high income areas and there arent that many. So if the demographics are there for a Bentley Dealership, the demographics should be there for an upscale furniture store in the furniture capital of the world. More and more upscale stores are coming to the Triad. Brooks Brothers will be opening a retail clothing store in Greensboro next year, the first major upscale clothing chain in the Triad.

I'm surprised no one has mention the Triad. I think the Triad should get it, particularly High Point with it being the Furniture capital of the world in all and hosting the International Home Furnishings Market (The world's largest furniture market) twice a year. High Point is a no brainer. People already trek far away from other cities to High Point to buy furniture so we know an IKEA will draw people from distances. The Triad has the population and a central location in North Carolina is best anyway as it will draw customers from Charlotte and Raleigh. High Point is a good location. We are talking about a city that has a Bentley auto dealership. (the only one in the Carolinas). If you look at Bentley's websites you'll see that dealerships are only located in major cities or very high income areas and there arent that many. So if the demographics are there for a Bentley Dealership, the demographics should be there for an upscale furniture store in the furniture capital of the world. More and more upscale stores are coming to the Triad. Brooks Brothers will be opening a retail clothing store in Greensboro next year, the first major upscale clothing chain in the Triad.

I've always kinda wondered about that Bentley dealership. Anybody know what gives? Do they have some kind of offices or plant there that I don't know about?

As for IKEA, I believe High Point would be a good location. However, given the future of our state and this region, I could see us being able to support two different IKEA's within the state. If you look up north and out west, there are several IKEAs within a short distance of each other.

(from IKEA's website)

us_country_image_24_198x165.gif

I just love how accurate the map is.

Why not put a few dots in the central east coast and extend what looks to be a chain?

As far as modern/contemporary/etc furniture goes, you can find that style at EQ3 and ByDesign, but as was mentioned before, the stuff can get a little flimsy. Instead of (or in addition to) IKEA, I'd like to have a Design Within Reach. Now their offerings are both sleek and sturdy, but not inexpensive.

And... not to pick knits, and it's off-topic, but Alfa Romeo hasn't sold cars in the US since 1995. I think the reason Bentley and the others are there is because its the midway point between Charlotte and Raleigh. Foreign Cars Italia did open a Charlotte dealership a couple of years ago since so much of their clientele reside here anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Ikea will open a 230,000 square foot store at the (University) City Blvd and I-85 near UNC Charlotte (land between I-85 and N. Tryon St where City Blvd now currently ends). Look for an announcement sometime in the first quarter of '07. Store should open by fall of next year. From what I've been told, it will be the chain's only Carolinas store.

Ikea will open a 230,000 square foot store at the (University) City Blvd and I-85 near UNC Charlotte (land between I-85 and N. Tryon St where City Blvd now currently ends). Look for an announcement sometime in the first quarter of '07. Store should open by fall of next year. From what I've been told, it will be the chain's only Carolinas store.

• 3 weeks later...
Goodness, MUST we bring up birthdays? :cry: I'm so damn old.

There is a rezoning petition for the land and it includes the site plan. The site plan screams Ikea. I also have some contacts who are "in the know", although they refuse to say the word "IKEA". Instead, they refer to it as "blue and yellow".

• 2 weeks later...

Archived