Triangle City with best "built" future?

c_harmons

Which triangle town will be the best place to live/work/shop in 10 years?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which triangle town will be the best place to live/work/shop in 10 years?

• Raleigh
    • North Raleigh (if they ever get their wish to be separate)
    • Cary
    • Durham
    • Chapel Hill
    • Wake Forest
    • Apex
    • Holly Springs
    • Hillsborough
    • Carboro

Charlotte just announced a Ritz downtown. Although we hate to admit it locally, they are doing things in Charlotte the Triangle only dreams of right now.

I think a great deal of Charlotte's success is because they have one City Council who makes decisions for the whole City. They all have a pro business paper! Just venting there.

In the Triangle we have many Councils and they rarely work together. Some are more pro-development than others. I am curious to understand which Town will put it together enough to start to be a leader in the Triangle with smart growth and which towns will remain sleepy. Which towns will have high density urban housing and mixed-use projects and which will be dominated by the NIMBYs that will keep their growth unorganized and their taxes high?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm feeling Chapel Hill and Carrboro as one of the most well organized smart growth efforts. Durham also may become one of the better choices in the Triangle in the span of 10 years.

Though Raleigh is definitely coming around with all of these great projects and proposals, I think the turmoil between residents regarding the growth options will hinder Raleigh's performance--exemplified by this Dorothea Dix debacle. It won't stop Raleigh from evolving of course, but it will slow down the evolution.

I'm thinking Orange or Durham County will outpace Wake County in terms of more responsible growth as a whole.

I agree Norff. Durham also has the I know we can be better attitude. They are really trying up there and it will pay soon. Look Raleigh needs to get its stuff toghether. There is no stopping or denying growth when you have a desirable place such as it is. They need wake up and accept the fact Raleigh is going to have to be a big city.

In 10 years, Carrboro will be the model for many small towns and even larger cities in the South.

An already lively and vital downtown will have several new 4-5 story buildings containing new shops, residences, and office space in an urban fabric that is well-developed, ped/bike/transit-friendly, hosts a farmer's market with a 1-year long waiting list to get in, and about to get a major amount of new sidewalks that were approved in a bond referendum 1-2 years ago. Add in fare-free buses, a commitment to putting free wi-fi through the entire downtown, and cutting edge organic/fair trade businesses, and you've got an incredible little town.

In 10 years, Carrboro will be the model for many small towns and even larger cities in the South.

... you've got an incredible little town.

I agree. Carrboro is incredible.

Orange County hasn't done nearly as much to encourage sprawl as Wake and Durham counties have. Not to say that they're immune, but with UNC (hospital/school) being the overwhelmingly dominant economic engine in the county, they have the luxury of concentrating their efforts centrally.

The best thing about Carrboro, is that everybody rides bicycles there. Anyone who knows me in person can tell you just how heavenly Carrboro is to me. Streets are narrow, congested, and slow - which makes it very easy for bikes to operate as a vehicle with the flow of traffic. In Raleigh or Cary, I get jeered at and honked at and flicked off as I ride around around on my bicycle; in Carrboro, bicycles practically outnumber cars. Lots of students who lived auto-dependently in high school end up moving to apartments in Carrboro because they're a little cheaper than Chapel Hill, and before they even realize it they've "caught on" to the bus, bike, and walk lifestyle - because it's the norm there rather than something reserved for poor people and wierdos.

I'd move to Carrboro, but somehow that feels like giving up on Raleigh and taking the easy route. Although, I'd sooner do that than buy a car.

It would seem having one core city would be much easier. Here in Va Beach we compete with our urban neighbor Norfolk and we also have Chesapeake, Hampton and Newport News as well. So instead of one group going after business we have at least 5 going fairly strong. The dynamics are really just so different it seems.

This is a good question...very difficult too!

I voted for Raleigh, but I'm not sure it won't be Durham...it's hard to tell right now with what's going on w/ American Tobacco District. Raleigh, being the largest city, has more options than any of the others and more true points of interest...but it's less connected than the others I think. I do agree on Carrboro...that place has it. Whenever I have visitors from out west come visit, they look at Carrboro and it reminds them of a SF neighborhood in how it's eclectic, tons of foot and bicycle traffic, and extremely livable.

So, yes, Raleigh overall...but Durham is being more assertive and I think it is already paying huge dividends. :thumbsup:

Durham is being more assertive but I think alot of it has to do with what they already have. The American Tobacco District is an awesome development and most of their development and excitement revolves around this. Raleigh doesn't have old tobacco factories to convert or a baseball stadium downtown. Raleigh has other things going for it, namely being the marquee city in the Triangle. You can't change the past, only the future. Raleigh is moving in the right direction so long as local opponents don't impede the progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived