Coastal Grand

GSP Tiger

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Article from The Sun News about an expansion of Coastal Grand with a outdoor shopping plaza that will have a total of 60,000 sf of space. The Village at Coastal Grand is set to open in fall 2006.

150168161496.jpg

The multimillion-dollar expansion at Coastal Grand Myrtle Beach mall will be called The Village at Coastal Grand and will contain 40,000 square feet of shops and 20,000 square feet of restaurant space in an open-air, streetscape setting with unique storefronts, tropical landscaping and decorative water features.

Story at: The Sun News - Coastal Grand plans plaza

I have heard this mall is not doing that well. I can verify that when I was there a few weeks ago on the weekend, the mall was very lightly attended. The major problem with the above mentioned "Restaurant District" is that is is basically a concrete pad between several stand alone restaurants. We walked by there and saw about 3 people watching the band. Its just too hot and not a good design for public space to be much more that a glorified waiting area for the restaurants. (except they are not that busy)

I found it amazing and ironic there was a monument sign posted next to a fake potted Palm in the "restaurant district" as a tribute to the unique flora and fauna in found in the area. They forgot to mention that Burroughs & Chapin drained hundreds of square acres of wetlands then bull dozed over all this flora and fauna to build the mall. :huh:

^ A flora and fauna tribute at a mall? Who are they kidding.

Along with mall culture being fleeting in this day and age, I wonder if the demographics were truly there to support the type of upscale mall that Coastal Grand is.

Not having been to Myrtle, I can't say for sure. But it always seemed to me that the people who vacationed there are not neccessarily the types of shoppers that would beat down the doors of Dillard's or Abercrombie & Fitch.

^ A flora and fauna tribute at a mall?  Who are they kidding.

Along with mall culture being fleeting in this day and age, I wonder if the demographics were truly there to support the type of upscale mall that Coastal Grand is. 

Not having been to Myrtle, I can't say for sure.  But it always seemed to me that the people who vacationed there are not neccessarily the types of shoppers that would beat down the doors of Dillard's or Abercrombie & Fitch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is quite the opposite. People of all types and sizes come to MB. Abercrombie to Big Lots. The question is, how many of them go to MB to go to the same stores that they have at home? The MB market area alone is not enough to support all of those stores.

I think it's pretty accessible; I was there in December of last year, and of course there were a lot of folks shopping since it was Christmas season; not really too sure about other times of the year though. I would think that during this time of year, it would be doing well.

Well, its further away than Broadway or the other well known areas. I didn't mean it wasn't accessible, jut out of the way. It has not established itself as a destination yet.

I only wanted to go there for the novelty of it (though I never went). I don't think that I would have heard about the mall if I wasn't interested in this type of thing.

Well, I guess it would also depend in part what route one takes to MB. Because I usually take Hwy 17 from the south, it's pretty much on the way, but the bad part is that once you actually get to the heart of MB, it really is out of the way as far as being a close destination compared to everything else that's readily available.

Well, its further away than Broadway or the other well known areas. I didn't mean it wasn't accessible, jut out of the way. It has not established itself as a destination yet.

I only wanted to go there for the novelty of it (though I never went). I don't think that I would have heard about the mall if I wasn't interested in this type of thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually Broadway@The Beach, Planet Hollywood etc are all located between Grissom Pkwy and Hwy 17 Bypass just like the Mall shown on the map so I don't think location hurts it. I think instead, like indicated above, people just don't go to the beach to shop at a place that is just like the mall at home.

Broadway offers something unique which is why people go there instead. There are no dragons beltching buring propane, looney golf, genuine artifical gondola rides on a synthetic lake, and fancy upscale carnival shopping at the new mall.

Actually Broadway@The Beach, Planet Hollywood etc are all located between Grissom Pkwy and Hwy 17 Bypass just like the Mall shown on the map so I don't think location hurts it.  I think instead, like indicated above,  people just don't go to the beach to shop at a place that is just like the mall at home.   

Broadway offers something unique which is why people go there instead.  There are no dragons beltching buring propane,  looney golf, genuine artifical gondola rides on a synthetic lake, and fancy upscale carnival shopping at the new mall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D You got me on that one Metro. I think I remember you saying you're from Horry County, so you'd know those for sure. The Myrtle Beach of our childhood is (unfortunately) gone for good, I think. Got lots of good memories of O.D. and going to the Spanish Galleon and Crazy Zaks (and then again, lots of those memories are blurry :alc: ).

Broadway at the Beach is hysterically bad in its presentation, but somehow kinda Twilight Zone cute in a Burroughs and Chapin kind of way. I don't want to vacation there, mind you, but it is the piece de la resistance in the over the top stuff that made Myrtle, well, so Myrtle. My brother, who used to work as a muscian down there in the 1980s, now calls Myrtle Beach "Branson by the Sea". B & C has done a number on that town!

Still, I wonder if you're 100% correct in thinking that people don't go to the beach just to shop at places like they have at home. One of the things I've never understood about tourist destinations is why so many of them have fewer and fewer localized retail. Charleston is a prime example. Why is it that King Street is basically SouthPark transplanted to a pretty street lined with Palmetto trees? Why would anyone buy a shirt at Banana Republic on King when they can get the exact same one at any of the company's stores at the mall back home. I guess we all vacation for different reasons. I just don't get it.

Actually Broadway@The Beach, Planet Hollywood etc are all located between Grissom Pkwy and Hwy 17 Bypass just like the Mall shown on the map so I don't think location hurts it.  I think instead, like indicated above,  people just don't go to the beach to shop at a place that is just like the mall at home.   

Broadway offers something unique which is why people go there instead.  There are no dragons beltching buring propane,  looney golf, genuine artifical gondola rides on a synthetic lake, and fancy upscale carnival shopping at the new mall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also like the fish in the lake (catfish, I believe) that follow you once you've fed them pellets.

I also like the fish in the lake (catfish, I believe) that follow you once you've fed them pellets.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those things are insane! The swarm in such a tight group that they knock eachother out of the water. Its kinda funny when the ducks get pushed up and have to walk across them to get out of the way. :lol:

Archived