Sign in to follow this  
Florida

Tallahassee Trivia!

Tallahassee was one of only two Confederate Capitals not captured by the Union Army during the Civil War. The other capital was Austin.

Tallahassee was chosen for state capital of Florida because it was close to the midpoint between the state's two major cities of the time, Pensacola and St. Augustine.

Edited by ironchapman

Thats Pensacola and St. Augustine!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I edited my post because you are pretty much a Tallahassee encyclopedia, but I thought it was Jacksonville, seeing as it was the territorial capital. I thought I read that somewhere.

Edited by ironchapman

^Tallahassee was Florida's only territorial capitol. Pensacola was the territorial capitol of West Florida and St. Augustine was the territorial capitol of East Florida.

Were there any movies filmed in Tallahassee that the common man would know of?

Edited by ironchapman

actually yes... Tarzan the Original move was filmed in Wakulla Springs, so too was Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Airport 77.

There was once a Law and Order type TV show called Tallahassee 7000 with one of the "Grumpy Old Men" (I believe the one with the droopy cheeks) as a main star.

On the eve of the Civil War, Tallahassee led the state in wealth and population. Confederate soldiers repelled Union troops at the Battle of Natural Bridge in March 1865, earning Tallahassee the distinction of being the only uncaptured Confederate capital east of the Mississippi. The site is now a state park 10 miles from downtown.

During the 17th century, Spaniards established their presence among the Apalachee Indians with the creation of Franciscan missions such as San Luis de Talimali. Skirmishes among European powers resulted in dispersal of Apalachess Indians and destruction of the missions in 1704.

By the end of the 18th century, Creek and Seminole Indians re-populated the area. Today knon as Mission San Luis, a state-owned park minutes from downtown, extensive excavations have been conducted in the 1656 Franciscan church complex, Apalachee council house, Spanish fort, and Spanish and Indian residential areas, many of which have been reconstructed.

Thanks Iron... I was looking for the details on the Christmas deal...

The first Christmas mass celebrated in the United States was held in Tallahassee. Artifacts recently discovered in an excavation of the Hernando de Soto encampment (1539-1540) are the only archaeological evidence of de Soto's expedition in North America.

Well, there was at least one TV series filmed about the city:

Tallahassee 7000

It apparently must be a forgotten series, seeing as not even my TV dictionary of shows (over 6,000 show listed from 1946-2003) doesn't mention it.

America's largest concentration of original plantations -- 300,000 acres, 71 plantations -- exists between Tallahassee and Thomasville, Georgia. If you drive North on Thomasville Road from Tallahassee, the ride is beautiful.

Early in its existence a terrible fire made ashes of the city and its trees. Locals rebuilt the downtown in brick & stone, instead of wood, and went on a tree planting spree. Legend says they planted several hundred-thousand trees which is likely a reason Tallahassee is now known as a Tree City USA.

Tree City USA is a designation from the Arbor Day Foundation for good Arboring practices and promoting the canopy. A lot of cities get it.

Do you have any links showing that Tallahassee led the state in population or wealth?

Great collection in this thread. alot of it is comon knowledge for locals, but that tallahassee cop show is something new to me. Too bad we cannot get a film company to move in... fsu film school would love that.

Tree City USA is a designation from the Arbor Day Foundation for good Arboring practices and promoting the canopy.  A lot of cities get it.

Do you have any links showing that Tallahassee led the state in population or wealth?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Tree City USA plug wasn't intended to refer to the Arbor Day Foundation, but to the fact that when people think of Tallahassee they normally think of trees trees and more trees.

Sure alot of cities get the Arbor City distinction, it just so happens we were honored yet again this year. But I do appreciate you clearing that up for us all.

Yeah thats cool.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try this then...

Britton Hill in Walton County is Florida's highest point, and the lowest highest point of any of the 50 states.

When you compare the elevation in feet (or meters) of every state's highest point, Britton Hill is the lowest of all 50 highest points.

Does that help any?

Edited by ironchapman

Oh yes... now when you break it down like that it makes more since. I sat here trying to convince myself that Florida wasn't that far below sealevel... thanks for clearing it up.