Tallahassee Trivia!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Has anyone ever heard the song, Down in Dear Old Tallahassee Town? I just downloaded the sheet music but I don't have the skills to put the ink to sound right now.

Just curious. I'm going to find me a music teacher who can play this for me.

Edited by TaureanJ

French Prince Achille Murat, nephew of Napoleon Bonaparte, married George Washington's great grandniece, Catherine Daingerfield Willis Gray, in the international social event of 1826 season right here in Tallahassee. Prince Murat, smitten by Kate's beauty, had wooed her by drinking from her dainty slipper. Princess Murat's antebellum home is on display at the Tallahassee Museum.

• 5 months later...

Just found out Richard Simmons used to live in Tallahassee. LOL!

His first job, in New Orleans, was selling pralines. After starting college at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, he transferred to Florida State University. While enrolled there, he studied as an exchange student in Florence, Italy. He graduated with a BA in Art. With his Art degree, Simmons worked in advertising in New York City and also for Coty Cosmetics and Revlon. During his time in New York he also worked as a waiter.

Did you know...

...that back in the Spanish mission days, Munson Slough was not only a surface stream connecting to the Wakulla River, but was navigable by Indian canoe from the Gulf all the way up to Mission San Luis?

This was on the front page of the Wakulla News awhile back, about a study into Wakulla Springs' geology. It was mentioned in the article, and the picture that went with it showing a (false-color?) map of the terrain, you could clearly see the Munson streambed all the way down. IIRC they said it didn't go underground until the mid 1800s.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

According to Wikipedia.org

Wakulla Springs:

It is classified as a first magnitude spring and is the longest and deepest known submerged freshwater cave system in the world. Wakulla Springs is a major exposure point for the Floridan Aquifer. The spring forms the Wakulla River which flows nine miles to the southeast where it joins the St. Mark's River. After a short five miles the St. Mark's empties into the Gulf of Mexico at Apalachee Bay.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 13 years later...