Macy's in Spartanburg?

GSP Tiger

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definately. Not sure where it would go though. Hopefully Bass Pro Shops will move in to JB Whiltes. That could potentially run Dick's out of the mall I suppose; which would then clear out an anchor spot for a relatively small Macy's. They could add a second floor to the Mall, which would allow the anchors to open up the second floor more and it would create the potential for a second floor for Dicks and Bed Bath & Beyond (or any future tenants).

I think that is a very real possibility for Spartanburg in the future (Both Macys and a second floor to Westgate). The Westside needs to gorw some more, and place like Arcadia need to see some more (and better) redevelopment.

That can't be too far off either. There is a new subdivision going in driectly accross from the mall, and the commercial opportunities for that area can only grow as the area fills in. There is still room to grow on the westside, even though it is filling in quickly. Alot of the growth seems to be heading down Blackstock to Roebuck, which is where the city is trying to annex. So I wouldn't be suprised to see more commercial growth in that direction in the future.

The problem I see is that the Eastside is growing too in population and its commercial opportunities. As more duplicate stores open up over there the Westside may see a slight decline- meaning less new stores. For example, the new Petco in Hillcrest will snatch ALOT of business from Pestmart on the Westside. Everyone hated to go over there, but it was the only pet store that sold what people needed (quality food brands, etc).

Macy's may indeed be a possibility. If we had one I would likely go there. I usually go to Dillards as it is (for department store purposes).

Is JC Penney the only deparment store in the Mall area not to have an upper level? I either think that or it is very hard to find its escalators.

With Profitt's vacated, it will be move in ready should a deparment store elect to move in. If you're Bass Pro Shops, it will take awhile to take out the femininity for the masculinity before moving in.

As for Westgate's Mall having an upper level, I think it would be cool. What I think is better is a multilevel lifestyle center. I remember visiting one up in White Plains, NY a few years ago. As a former department store, Westchester Pavilion was converted into downtown lifestyle center with Sports Authority on the lower level, Toys "R" Us on the middle level, and McDonald's, Borders, and OfficeMax on the upper level. An adjacent parking garage had access to all three levels. I would like to design such a multi-level lifestyle center for the upstate, so I have my work cut out.

I will agree with you on Acadia needing better development. Taking SC 295 out towards Business 85 is not a safe and pleasant drive. The traffic flow is horrible, and the neighborhoods do not appear that safe.

Is JC Penney the only deparment store in the Mall area not to have an upper level?  I either think that or it is very hard to find its escalators.

Yes.

With Profitt's vacated, it will be move in ready should a deparment store elect to move in.  If you're Bass Pro Shops, it will take awhile to take out the femininity for the masculinity before moving in.
Well, BPS is well known, and I don't think it would take any time before the mall is hopping with people trying to get into that store.

As for Westgate's Mall having an upper level, I think it would be cool.  What I think is better is a multilevel lifestyle center.  I remember visiting one up in White Plains, NY a few years ago.  As a former department store, Westchester Pavilion was converted into downtown lifestyle center with Sports Authority on the lower level, Toys "R" Us on the middle level, and McDonald's, Borders, and OfficeMax on the upper level.  An adjacent parking garage had access to all three levels.  I would like to design such a multi-level lifestyle center for the upstate, so I have my work cut out.

I will agree with you on Acadia needing better development.  Taking SC 295 out towards Business 85 is not a safe and pleasant drive.  The traffic flow is horrible, and the neighborhoods do not appear that safe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The traffic flow is horrible. They really need to rework that 295/Hayne St intersection, and clean up that area in general. I wouldn't mind living there if I thought it MIGHT be safe. That is just the tip of the iceberg for Arcadia.

The traffic flow is horrible. They really need to rework that 295/Hayne St intersection, and clean up that area in general. I wouldn't mind living there if I thought it MIGHT be safe. That is just the tip of the iceberg for Arcadia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. SC 295 really needs some serious improvements. A long range thought is widening it to four lanes past the CSX railroad crossing all the way out to Business 85. It will take a genius to work it around the mill area noting the NS underpass is too narrow and low. At Business 85, the entire New Cut Road interchange should be rebuilt for a four lane road. Extend 295 northward to 26 and onward towards Inman.

Into deeper thought into my proposed lifestyle center, I'm thinking of six retail levels possibly for an office supply store, a sporting goods store, a books and music store, two or three clothing stores, a toy store, an electronics store, and a food level. Above, a few additional levels for offices and residential condos adds to the flare. Adjacent to the rising tower, a large enough parking garage accompanies the shops. Does anyone have any ideas?

As the Westgate area continues to thrive, do you think that area is ready for a premium deparment store such as Macy's?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Macy's may open another store in the market to compliment its Haywood Mall store. Really, this should have happend back in the Rich's days, but I digress.

I agree.  SC 295 really needs some serious improvements.  A long range thought is widening it to four lanes past the CSX railroad crossing all the way out to Business 85.  It will take a genius to work it around the mill area noting the NS underpass is too narrow and low.  At Business 85, the entire New Cut Road interchange should be rebuilt for a four lane road.  Extend 295 northward to 26 and onward towards Inman.

I think that may be the reason nothign has been done. There are only three possibiliies there.

1. The least likely one is to move the rail road crossing itself. With the hill it would be a very expensive and long task (the RR companies are notoriousl slow about construction).

2. Demolish some houses to realign the intersection. This is possible and it would be the most efficient solution, but would piss some people off.

3. Set up the intersection with well timed traffic lights. This is the simplest, and cheapest way to do it. They need some lights there anyway, so it is a logical step. Adding some turning lanes to W Blackstock would help too.

Into deeper thought into my proposed lifestyle center, I'm thinking of six retail levels possibly for an office supply store, a sporting goods store, a books and music store, two or three clothing stores, a toy store, an electronics store, and a food level.  Above, a few additional levels for offices and residential condos adds to the flare.  Adjacent to the rising tower, a large enough parking garage accompanies the shops.  Does anyone have any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the idea of the lifestyle center. It sounds like a vertical mall though, so I am not sure how necessary it is downtown since Spartanburg removed all traces of its downtown department stores long ago.

For now I would rather see that retail spread through out downtown to create a better street life.

But for the sake of arguement, where would you suggest this thing go?

I think Macy's may open another store in the market to compliment its Haywood Mall store.  Really, this should have happend back in the Rich's days, but I digress.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think its just a matter of not having anywhere to move into.

As the Westgate area continues to thrive, do you think that area is ready for a premium deparment store such as Macy's?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Spartanburg's got Belk and Dillard's than its ready for Macy's (Hecht's, Rich's)... all will be one in the same anyway

• 1 month later...

Archived