Tallahassee Oldest Inc. City in FL over 100,000

Florida

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^so was I.

With regard to Pensacola not growing much the way the other costal communities did, you can credit this to the Henry Flagger movements throughout the 1800s in addition to the transportation routes that helped to push the boom throughout eastern and southern FL.

^Other than not being on the waterfront, probably the same reason that Pensacola never did. The Flagler and Plant railroads took rapid growth to the Peninsula and took focus away from the Panhandle. Also other industries, such as Citrus Processing, Cigar Manufacturing and Phosphate Mining bought others further south in search for industrial jobs. Anyway, after years od slow growth, it looks like Florida's urban boom has finally made its way up to our Capitol City.

tallahassee is old, its just the trees hide so many beautil things making this place the ultimate for locals who know about its history. I was fortunate to have my 10 and 12th grade history teacher be a native from St. Aug and totally blew our minds with florida history. infact, she is a relator now, one of the biggest losses for my high school.

I think I understand now. Tallahassee is oldest city in Florida (by US corporation) that has a population currently over 100k. Interesting I guess.

I lived in Tally for 2 years, and while it has it's historical attractions, the city itself doesn't embrace it much. Driving around doesn't feel much different than driving through any other Florida city.

Pretty cool forum! Shame that Tally tore down all those buildings. Kinda like every other major city in FL. Too bad our city leaders had no respect for history back in the 1950's to 1970's. Many of our cities would have a much different atmosphere.

This is how I see it. Pensacola is the momma and St. Augustine the daddy. Tallahassee is the oldest child(city) of the 2. Because Tally is the oldest child she practically helps raise the other children( cities) and gives them rules that the Florida(last name) family goes by(capital city position. Respect your elders children! :rofl:

Archived