Centennial Tower

eandslee

Article from Richmond.com about Centennial Towers

The market report should be finished by August. Every aspect of the project will be handled by companies with Richmond offices. Construction start in 2007 is because it will take 14-20 months to get all the paperwork and design done for the building. Man I hope this market report comes back strong! It will be close to a lot of renovated buildings that have condos/apartments (such as the John Marshall).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It should come back strong! On Yahoo News, Richmond was mentioned alongside SAN FRANCISCO and ATLANTA for having STRONG housing activity :-). It's nice to have some national recognition sometimes. Heh. Link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050727/ap_on_..._fi/fed_economy

We weren't exactly mentioned.  The article refers to the Federal Reserve Bank districts (there are maybe 7-8 nationwide).  "Richmond" also includes Tidewater and NC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And, Brent, don't forget West Virginia where Mr. Kilgore likes to hold his debate (note singular). And there are 12 Fed Reserve districts, I think. I hope all of you notice that the goodies are happening in Richmond, HR and all across Virginia under a strong Democratic governor! :)

Just wanted to let everyone know that I saw and Heard on NBC 12 News that they finally said that Centennial Towers is going to be 25 floors the developer from New York said that when people come downtown to do business they don't leave as soon as their done. But it sounds really neat I wish they could of gone 30 at least.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I saw and Heard on NBC 12 News that they finally said that Centennial Towers is going to be 25 floors the developer from New York said that when people come downtown to do business they don't leave as soon as their done. But it sounds really neat I wish they could of gone 30 at least.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have years to make it there and probably will. Granby Tower started at 25 and then

grew to 31. The Westin started at 30 and grew to 37. Good news all around though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, that's better news than keeping it at 18-22 floors! I still kinda wish they would just make one good, tall building instead of twins, but combined it will be 50 floors! Very nice indeed! Thanks for the news Downtowner!

Riverfront Plaza combined would be 50 storeys

I like the design of Centennial, and I hope they put a Ritz Carlton somewhere near the top of one of the towers!

Joey, thanks for tuning in to NBC. We now at least know that it won't shrink to 18 floors. 25 is high enough IMO.

PS: Joey, I mentioned on RCW that you had heard the NBC 12 story. :)

Edited by burt

I think these twins will add much more density to the skyline than one that is taller. at 25 stories, it will be one of the tallest buildings in Richmond.... :) Hopefully it can go higher. the nbc12 report was also saying that the developer has formally announced its plans and that construction will start in 2007 with completion a year later!

hot off the presses! Wilder Backs Plan For High-Rise

the project has a thumbs up from Wilder! However, I'm not sure 25 is set in stone, the TD is still saying 18-22.

"The $175 million project complements city plans for downtown, Wilder said.

The 18- to 22-story building would have retail on the street level, a couple floors of office space, a boutique-style hotel of 66 to 100 rooms, and 150 to 200 condominium units on the top floors......

........The project's developers -- Goodstein Development Corp., based in New York, along with its Goodstein Development of Virginia Inc. subsidiary -- plan to begin construction in early 2007. Centennial Towers would be ready in 2008 or 2009.........

...Goodstein has two companies conducting market studies to determine how large the high-rise should be.............."

"People are moving back to Richmond and are coming to Richmond for business, and not turning around and flying out, but actually staying," Staats said."

Very promising!

Here's another article on Wilder's support of the CT

So true:

"Wilder scoffed at the notion that the Convention Center and the Performing Arts Center would develop Downtown Richmond by themselves, as some had previously suggested. 'It doesn't work that way," he said. "You have to have the incremental approaches.'"

Convention Center is soooo dead. I hope it pays off someday.

Gotta laugh just a little... "We have seen a city transform from a transient city to a destination city," ... the article states Staats as saying. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a destination city just yet, just getting there..

Came across a small article about Centennial Towers. Sounds like an interesting project.

http://www.globest.com/news/342_342/washington/136987-1.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even this article mentions that the height of Centennial Towers will be 25 stories:

"Goodstein senior vice president of development Leonard Bayer tells GlobeSt.com two towers rising 25 stories will encompass a 150,000-sf class A office element, a retail portion of 40,000 sf to 45,000 sf and a 100-room boutique hotel."

Interesting....

Edited by eandslee

wow that is interesting. What's more is the amount of office space. At first they said just a couple floors of office. Now its up to 150,000 sf. The potential tenant they were talking with must have been a big one! 25 stories sounds great. I'd love to see that sneak up to 30 though just for the sake of it. I wonder how tall in feet this thing would be at 25 stories

lol who knows...maybe one of use should email the ritz carlton and express our desire. btw...they had the lady that did the Charles of the Ritz powders for women at (miller&Rhoads I think) in that documentary I saw. didnt know if you could remember her burt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe we should prevail upon Peninsula/Kiddo to compose our letter to Ritz Carlton. He's very good at that sort of thing! :)

No, don't remember the M&R lady, but I sure would like to see that documentary. Is it for sale on DVD?

Edited by burt

wow this thing is sure getting a lot of press coverage.... This is from Forbes and was pointed out to me by someone over on RicmondForums.com.......

Goodstein Development Unveils Plans for $175 Million Skyscraper Project in Downtown Richmond; Unparalleled Mix-Use 515,000 Square Foot Project to Change City's Skyline

"The planned Centennial Towers, to be located at the 500 block of East Main Street in the heart of the city's downtown, will be a 25 story, state of the art skyscraper and will include upscale retail space, Class-A office space, a 100 plus room boutique type hotel and 250 ultra luxury residential units in the two building towers. The cost for the project is estimated to be $175 to $200 million. The total square footage is estimated to be approximately 515,000 plus several levels of underground parking."

Read more in the link above!