Centennial Tower

eandslee

Well if Centennial is dead alltogether and they have already demolished the buildings in place of them what else would you think would go there? If anything did go there it would probably be years untill it happened? Thats why I hate stuff like this. You do demo then the project gets screwed over and then you end up with completly nothing for years.

Much better!

Burt, I haven't heard anything at all and even if it were true, I'm not surprised. Besides, it's not like it's a nuclear wasteland. Something will go there.

• 6 months later...

FWIW--you can take this with a grain of salt, but..--Centennial will start up again sometime next year. No plans have been scrapped.

Funny you would post that right after I heard something to the contrary...lol

Heard third party through one of the Goodstein people, that they would love to dump the land and would take any reasonable offer on the properties.

Guess it will be a while. Why doesn't the style or Richbiz sense do a follow up and see what is going on. We know the RTD won't until someone else does.

Funny you would post that right after I heard something to the contrary...lol

Heard third party through one of the Goodstein people, that they would love to dump the land and would take any reasonable offer on the properties.

Guess it will be a while. Why doesn't the style or Richbiz sense do a follow up and see what is going on. We know the RTD won't until someone else does.

Haha, and my source was of familiar ways as well. Oh well.. The media is doing a poor job of covering developments around town lately.. It's all baseball.

Haha, and my source was of familiar ways as well. Oh well.. The media is doing a poor job of covering developments around town lately.. It's all baseball.

No one cares one way or the other as far as the media goes...

• 9 months later...

Just checked the Centennial Tower website and now it says the tower is to be determined. It did say at one time groundbreaking 2010 or 2009 or something like that but I guess now that it says to be determined I guess they still are planning for it but are just waiting for the economy to pick up again.

• 7 months later...

Writer Carol Hazard of The Times Dispatch interviewed Mr. Goodstein about his properties in Richmond. And he stills holds out hope for Centennial Tower on East Main between 5th and 6th Streets, although he would not reject an offer for the land.

Whether or not anything happens there, he was successful in unloading eleven vacant condos in Presidential Court, the Dooley mansion on West Franklin and Madison Streets. The autioneer who handled the sales reports that some units went for half of their original asking price. All of the 11 units are now under contract assuring that the building's total of 27 condos have been sold.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/business/2010/nov/20/b-cent20-ar-665718/

• 2 years later...

still nothing huh? The last I heard was in Dec 2011, the COO Leonard Bayer saying "there is no update on moving forward at this time"

http://www.goodsteindevelopment.com/virginia.html#!JUSTOmatic[mixed]/2/

I wrote him again just this past week and am waiting on some hopeful news as sourcing equity for a project like this should become easier.

I think if the 250 residential units were built to be leased as apartments that could be converted to condos when the market improves would help to get this mixed-use project off the ground.

Wow I just realized this thread hasn't had a post since 2010.... until today. Does Goodstein still own the property that was to be Centennial Tower? I still am kinda baffled as to why it is still on there website? It still leaves me wondering as if they are gonna wait a long time and then 10 years later bam we start seeing news on this again. It really wouldn't shock me if that happened though. There are just way too many unanswered questions on this development. But I hope they either A. come out and say it is a cancelled project or B. They give us a timeline as to when something could happen and then when I see Construction Equipment on site then I will get excited. In the mean time I will leave this topic alone so I don't get all depressed as to what could have been.

I thought they had put the property up for sale, but I wonder if they might consider retracting the sale fo the land (since the property isn't selling) and re-instate their plans to build there?  I'd love to see the plans for Centennial Tower(s) resurrected!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

untitledej6.png

I just wanted to open this thread up again to memorialize what could have been.  I really wish that Richmondbizsense or some other official business news outlet would find out what Goodstein's plans are at this point.  Does anyone even know if "For Sale" signs are still up on the property?  Any signage at all?  If it's still for sale, has there been any interest in the site?  Wasn't there a Goodstein Development office in Richmond at one time?  Is it still there?  It's just too tough to let go of this one.  Sorry if I'm being annoying.

• 1 year later...

Well, thanks for the update! I have emailed Goodstein before and have gotten nothing but crickets. This just confirms what I already knew, but wanted to hear something official from them. They are working on another project in the area, but it will only be 6 stories high (525 E. Main St. All residential...an infill project). Shame their plans went from 30 stories to just 6, but I'm holding out hope that the proposed Dominion tower truly delivers! Come on Dominion - please don't disappoint!

• 3 years later...
22 minutes ago, eandslee said:

What is this?!  I know this is the Centennial Tower thread, but is this supposed to be where Centennial was supposed to go?  Never see or heard of this ever. 

There was talk a few years ago of something like a 9 story building going there. It was around the same time the Centennial building on the corner where Chicano's is was being redeveloped. I can try and find the article.

• Like 1