Centennial Tower

eandslee

I hope you all are enjoying the news cause I know I am.

OOOO, I'm excited about this one as well, but I'm a little apprehensive about counting my chickens before they hatch. It would be a cool dream to hear them announce 2, 50 story buildings, but I'm going to have to hear it with my own ears before I believe it - it would be that unbelieveable! It's nice to dream though....hopefully, it will be reality!

OK you guys. Just walked in the door after a busy day and am savoring these reports about Centennial. I'm like Eric - too cautious to be really hopeful. I'm keeping all extremities crossed, though! :)

I wonder what Lenny would have to say about all this if someone were to approach him? cough cough!

Edited by burt

Wouldn't it be great if Ghazi follows Goodstein's lead and begins construction on a 71 story behemoth on the Fed Reserve space to top vdogg's Hilton? hahaha! Of course, Ghazi would have to bring new out-of-town tenants with him.

I hope Lenny is keeping Ritz Carlton in mind for the top floors of Centennial.

Speaking of towers, they just topped off a 60-story apartment/condo across the street from me on 42nd here in New York.

Realistically, even if we end up with the original two 22-story towers, it will be a big plus for downtown Richmond. But we will all hope for the biggie! ^_^

Edited by burt

I think I read in a RTD story yesterday that the City has collected considerably more in hotel taxes than anticipated. I suppose that means occupancy rates are up and there is a demand for more rooms. Maybe that is in Goodstein's survey report.

Edited by burt

Just went over to RCW to read about the project there and someone named Schoolspirited indicated that Wilder is bad-mouthing the tower project. Has anybody heard that?

Also someone (I think it was Shakman) said that they did some test drills on the site today and that, yes, it could support 50 story towers.

Edited by burt

That is great burt. Do you frequent other NY boards with info like this as well?

No, Guy. Keeping up with Richmond and HR on UP and Richmond City Watch is about all I can handle. Living in New York City and keeping up with the old home town is pretty demanding and I'm afraid I'm going to have to back off from it because of pressing involvements here in the City.

I wish we could get more contributors so that Worldcoupe isn't just talking to himself. He is stalwart, enthusiastic, bright and an incomparable contributor and moderator.

I'm not going away, but will have to slow down. :)

Edited by burt

Just went over to RCW to read about the project there and someone named Schoolspirited indicated that Wilder is bad-mouthing the tower project. Has anybody heard that?

Also someone (I think it was Shakman) said that they did some test drills on the site today and that, yes, it could support 50 story towers.

Wilder actually embraced this project from the beginning. Richmond.com did a story on it titled The King's Blessing

And Shakman said he was watching the Fox news @ 10. They described that they were doing soil tests to see if the soil could support 50 story towers, and it can as you mentioned! Waiting to hear details is killing me!

Also, all of the work will be done by local companies :) I'm cautiously looking forward to this... I don't want to get my hopes up, but my instincts tell me I'll be verrrrry pleased! :yahoo:

Gee, I was just thinking...what would two 50 story buildings look like downtown? Do we have any good "cut and pasters" or "photoshoppers" who would be able to show how high 2 50-story buildings would go downtown and what they might look like based on the renderings already provided?

:rofl: I've tried before and my results are less than stellar to say the least! if someone else could do it though I'd help out in any way I could....

Yours wasn't too bad...at least I could envision what was to go up a little better. I wonder if Downtowner or one of the others that visit here once in a while could help us out here? Anyone?...Anyone? [chirp, chirp]

I wonder if there will be drastic changes in the design of the building(s) given the potentially massive change in height. Can brick go 50-stories high?

maybe we'll actually get some spires in that flattop skyline!

No spires in your avatar, but at least the roofline is tiered.

You certainly are confident about this vertical expansion, coupe. Wish I were, but as I've said, all extremities are crossed in hope.

My building where I live in Manhattan and its twin are brick and each has 45 floors. And unfortunately, both have flat roofs.

Edited by burt

hahaha I know you're a stickler for grammar. My dad's an english teacher so I am all too familiar with the correct uses of to, two, annnnd too. Slight typo. :)

hahaha I probably wouldn't know what to do if I was to eat at Lemaire. When we ate at Old Original Bookbinders in Richmond and Kinkead's in D.C.... talk about feeling out of place! lol :) That's about as fancy as I've gotten so far...

hahaha I know you're a stickler for grammar. My dad's an english teacher so I am all too familiar with the correct uses of to, two, annnnd too. Slight typo. :)

hahaha I probably wouldn't know what to do if I was to eat at Lemaire. When we ate at Old Original Bookbinders in Richmond and Kinkead's in D.C.... talk about feeling out of place! lol :) That's about as fancy as I've gotten so far...

Nonsense!! You'll never feel out of place with Ales and me! And we'll go anywhere you select! How about some hot spot in the Slip or Bottom or The Fan? Since u're in Nova, I guess it'll have to be on a weekend between mid and late January since my weekends will be filled after that.

And if Eric is in town, he and his wife are welcome to be my guests, too! I know Eric likes DAVIS AND MAIN. I also like WHITE DOG a block east on Main. Maybe cocktails in one spot and dinner in the next.

We'll toss it around!

Edited by burt

Nonsense!! You'll never feel out of place with Ales and me! And we'll go anywhere you select! How about some hot spot in the Slip or Bottom or The Fan? Since u're in Nova, I guess it'll have to be on a weekend between mid and late January since my weekends will be filled after that.

And if Eric is in town, he and his wife are welcome to be my guests, too! I know Eric likes DAVIS AND MAIN. I also like WHITE DOG a block east on Main. Maybe cocktails in one spot and dinner in the next.

We'll toss it around!

Damn, Burt, you've got an awesome memory! It's amazing that you mentioned that I like Davis and Main (something I mentioned quite a bit of time ago). I'd love to meet everyone there in Richmond...actually, I just hope I can get back to Richmond sometime soon. Speaking of which, my grandmother isn't doing very well and could pass away soon too (seems like everyone in my family is passing away who live in Richmond). So, it could be possible that I make yet another trip to Richmond soon. We'll have to see though.

Sorry, I was a little off topic there. Now let's continue talk of the new Centennial Towers....

I'm in Richmond from like Dec. 15 to late January. gotta love that college winter break :)... a Richmond meetup would be nice. Also, I'll be in town next week (after a crazy tuesday night here). I really hope to get out and take some pics one of the days, so we'll see! btw, eric sorry to hear baout your grandmother. Hope everything works out for the best!

Speaking of next week, I'm looking forward to the Centennial Announcement more than my turkey dinner! :lol: