The 2003 Election

scongro

Knowing what we all know now, who would you vote for in the 2003 General Election  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what we all know now, who would you vote for in the 2003 General Election

• John Peyton
    • Nat Glover

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My original vote went to Peyton. I have been very disappointed in his leadership skills and decision making. Having had no prior political experience was the only negative that I could see at that point. Now I've realized that he has a lot to learn on top of what he has already experienced in office. Jax doesn't have the time to mold this guy into a descent mayor.

Glover, originally, was the last on my list to vote for. He has some experience in a political position but I feel lacked the vision to see the true potential of Jax.

Hopefully these two gentelman won't be the only choices in the running for mayor. If this were the case I would have to choose Nat, just to give him a chance at bat.

Although I have given credit to Peyton on here because I view he has inherited and not simply created problems, I actually voted for Glover, who narrowly won my vote between a split of Carlucci and Weinstein. The deciding factor for me was that Glover had exemplified characteristics of a civil servant and was able to develop close relationships to those within the community, despite so-called scandals. Carlucci and Weinstein were strengths because they had been exposed to and were involved with shaping the city. Peyton was ranked next on my list because he had business involvement, yet he had not demonstrated signs of political influence.

For those who are interested, here are links to surveys taken for the election and the subsequent run-off.

General election, from SurveyUSA.

Run-off election, from SurveyUSA.

I voted for Peyton, after seriously debating between the two. I was originally a huge Carlucci supporter.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't vote for either. Peyton has been mediocre, but I think Glover would have been terrible. We'd have all the same problems we have today, except Glover probably wouldn't be trying to balance the budget like Peyton, and we'd have a massive budget deficit. Maybe the courthouse mess would have turned out differently, but that's about it. (And do any of you think Glover would have had a problem with rejecting Atkins and appointing Peterbrooke the RFP winner? He would do it in a heartbeat, since the historic preservation people tended to vote for him)

Also, Glover seemed to have a bit more of the whole "machine politics" thing. I fear he would have flooded his primary support base (the northside) with tons of new social service projects - which would have been, quite frankly, even more detrimental to the area.

These two were bad choices to begin with... I live in St. Johns County, so I didn't get to vote. I probably would have gone with Weinstein. He had the most experience running city government. Glover's flaws (i.e. scandal after scandal at JSO) outweighed his leadership abilities.

This is interesting to read. Personally, I feel that Mike Weinstein would have been the best candidate, but since Carlucci and Weinstein split the vote, Peyton beat them both.

Every day, I keep wondering why one of them didn't see this and drop out. Their platforms were so similar, and frankly, one could have been a part of the other's administration. It was very obvious a week before the primary election what was going to happen: Glover, then Peyton, Weinstein, Carlucci, Mark Brunell, Ginger Soud, and so on.

It was very obvious a week before the primary election what was going to happen: Glover, then Peyton,  Weinstein, Carlucci, Mark Brunell, Ginger Soud, and so on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brunell for Mayor! :lol: He certainly had enough airtime with all those car commercials.

Archived