Proposed: Jefferson Square

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your optimism and I think I'll join you in it... I just wish we could hear something!

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon on this one and hope there really is something in the works very soon. BTW, Burt, I want to commend you on a job well done especially considering that sort of thing was not your "thing". See, it wasn't so bad was it? :) I think you are really good at this stuff and you're just being modest.

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon on this one and hope there really is something in the works very soon. BTW, Burt, I want to commend you on a job well done especially considering that sort of thing was not your "thing". See, it wasn't so bad was it? :) I think you are really good at this stuff and you're just being modest.

Thanks, Eric. But, to be honest, I'll be relieved if our erstwhile leader, Mr. Coupe, refrains from giving me similar assignments in the future.

:rofl:

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure demolition has begun here! :)

I wish these uptight bow-tie people would give us an update!

Maybe it's time for Shak to contact Charlie in the NY Office again. Please don't ask me to do it :lol:

I love the aerial pictures showing the plot that you posted on RCW, coupe.

Though I'd add it here as well.. I've also pointed out where the proposed Centennial Towers are in relation to the BowTie block to give perspective.

This bird's eye view really points out the potential for that area. There are quite a few surface lots that I know wouldn't mind having a highrise on top of them :) There are also some squatty uninspiring buildings that could go too.

Can't wait to hear more about bowtie... apparently work has begun on the portion of the block where the old refuleing station for the times-dispatch is/was.

Cadeho's pics (who I wish would sign up for UP) confirm that the Bow Tie development has begun... at least demolition for it anyway. I'm astonished we haven't even seen 1 rendering, or any details about the size and scope of the project. All we know is that it will include a cinema, multi-family housing, and more commercial space. Plus, it's a "major mixed-use).

Bow Tie quit keeping your secrets!

From Cadeho (thanks!):

before:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/RVaPics3/DSCF3600.jpg

after:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/RVaPics3/DSCF3028.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/RVaPics3/DSCF3030.jpg

there are some other buildings on the block, but they are more or less not worth preserving. Nothing old, historic, or architecturally significant.

I think the block consisted of an old fueling station for the newspaper, a small 2-level parking deck, a surface lot, and a small, low-rise, bland office building from the 50's-60's...

It's about midway between downtown and VCU's Monroe Park campus, an ideal place for this sort of development.

never added the bird's eye view... here's where it will go down:

Bowtie Property & Centennial Towers site... bird's eye view

This area consists of a good amount of surface lots...great potential for new development, even highrise development.

If that's all that was demolished, I would definitely call this a huge improvement. I was afraid that a block of older commercial buildings might be sacrificed for this. Glad to see that nothing architecturally significant was lost.

I just hope that this project will include a very tall tower or two. :D

I'm heaving a huge sigh of relief, coupe. You're back! Without you, there is no "there" on this sight!

I love the aerials, and haven't the remotest idea how you found them. Anyway. Nothing of any significance will be lost in Bow Tie's demolition. Note all the other empty or near empty blocks ripe for development in the area.

Also, you can see, with the relatively shallow lot, why Centennial will have to go up up up! Remember, they do not own the three Main street buildings nearest 5th.

I apologize if I have switched topics here, but the aerial invites comment on Bow Tie and Centennial.

burt... this bird's eye thing is something new from microsoft (I think it's part of their attempt to compete with Google's GoogleEarth). RyanR actually pointed it out on RCW. What's great is that the entire city can be viewed from the bird's eye view, at every angle. Peruse it a bit and you'll get addicted :)

burt... this bird's eye thing is something new from microsoft (I think it's part of their attempt to compete with Google's GoogleEarth). RyanR actually pointed it out on RCW. What's great is that the entire city can be viewed from the bird's eye view, at every angle. Peruse it a bit and you'll get addicted :)

Yeah, it's great, but how do you pull up other downtown sites besides the panels that are already there? I spent over an hour yesterday looking at the ones that are there covering roughly Jefferson to 7th streets and Downtown Expressway to CSX Main Line tracks. There was wonderful pictorial coverage of Jackson Ward, parts of Carver and Gilpin Court.

let's see if this can make any sense...

to the left there are a total of 9 frames you can click on. Each time you click on a frame, it becomes the centered one. For example, if you click on the frame to the right of the centered one, it then becomes the centered one. IF you click on that one to the right of the centered one again, that one will become the center one.using this principal, you can end up viewing the entire city.

let's see if this can make any sense...

to the left there are a total of 9 frames you can click on. Each time you click on a frame, it becomes the centered one. For example, if you click on the frame to the right of the centered one, it then becomes the centered one. IF you click on that one to the right of the centered one again, that one will become the center one.using this principal, you can end up viewing the entire city.

Well, I clicked on all 9 frames, but none of them covered anything east of 7th street. Is there any way to put up more frames?

okay... go to the bird's eye view thing.

there is the 9 frames... pretend for a moment that they dont have pictures on them and they are just labeled as numbers. left to right top to bottom:

1 2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9

Click on frame 9.. you should see dominion, james center etc...

now click on number 6... you should see the state capitol, old federal courthouse, washington building etc.

Also, just so you know, if you hold down on the left mouse button, and move the mouse around, the picture will move as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Why aren't we hearing from Bow Tie? The demolition of the filling station was encouraging, but an announcement of plans would certainly be nice.

Maybe they're waiting for VCU Monroe addition to progress further and for the results of Centennial's survey.

When I drove by last, the gas station was merely gravel, BUT there were cars parking there.... I hope it hasn't become a temporary surface lot!

Apparently so. You know, when they tear down a building and don't put a fence around it keeping people out, people find free parking. Look at Jackson Ward around Maggie Walker Pl. That whole subdivision is a parking lot now.

Archived