City Showdown: Chattanooga vs. Greenville

krazeeboi

Which city do you prefer?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Which city do you prefer?

• Chattanooga
    • Greenville

...That's really only a sampling of various projects approved/under construction in DT Greenville. You also have the minor league baseball stadium under construction in downtown, a couple of other residential projects, the Hubbell Lighting HQ, and some other stuff I'm forgetting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here are some other projects being constructed and developed in other parts of Greenville (not just downtown):

the Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research (ICAR):

250perspective.jpg

Click HERE to View the High-Res Version

The Villagio Verde Development:

village_sketch.jpg

site_zoning_detail.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My personal experiences with Chattanooga: I was driving through there On the Interstate on my way to Nashville around 10PM one night in June, 2001 and there was a really cool fireworks display going off over the river. I'm not sure what it was all about, but it looked great from the Interstate :thumbsup:

It does have a problem with those large Interstate pileups due to smoke/smog/fog though. :whistling:

As far as Chat-town is concerned, I just hope that economic progress isn't hindered due to an overreliance on tourism. I'd rather have a city with a stable, diversified economic base and not as many recreational/entertainment options than vice versa (and this is not Greenville's situation; I believe there's a healthy mix of both).

Chattanooga has very few forumers here. Nearly all the Tennesseans live in Nashville or Memphis, a couple in Knoxville, and very few spread out among Chattanooga, Jackson, Clarksville, and others.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I'm the only person from Chatt. in this forum. Hopefully Chattanooga's economic future is starting to look brighter. The Enterprise South Industrial park is on the short list for Project Pinetree, which is thought to be an European auto manufacturer. I have to agree that Greenville has more momentum. I couldn't belive the change from when I was there in 1995.

I am a Chatt. person too, tho i don't post very often, I enjoy reading the differing arguments. While I'm probably biased in saying this, I think that Chattanooga is more comfortable than G'ville. I've been to Greenville before, and the roads seemed to have too many twists and turns, it's like the planners threw a bowl of spaghetti on the floor and said "This looks like a good road network!" Chattanooga has more structure and gives more of a good vibe IMHO. I think that with the Enterprise South Park, the city might grow leaps and bounds. It is the very first Mega-Park in the state of Tennessee.

As far as Chat-town is concerned, I just hope that economic progress isn't hindered due to an overreliance on tourism. I'd rather have a city with a stable, diversified economic base and not as many recreational/entertainment options than vice versa (and this is not Greenville's situation; I believe there's a healthy mix of both).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't really speak on how diversified Chattanooga's economy is now, because I'm not too familiar with the specifics of the area but from what I understand the whole reason that the tourism industry was started was to diversify the economy. From what I've heard Chattanooga boomed around WWII due to the industrial demands of the war. Chattanooga's great location to the resources of the lower Appalachians and the transportation of the Tennessee river made it a perfect spot for a large industrial expansion. However in the decades after the war the industry slowly withered and thus the turn to tourism.

On another note is TVA headquartered in Chattanooga? For some reason I think it is.

Well, We know for certain that it is not Tennessee. That is the only Greeneville. I think that are 21 Greenvilles. IMHO, Chattanooga is one of the most attractive cities in the Eastern US. It has a beautiful and liveable downtown, mountain vistas and a number of tourists sites. Some of those are worth visiting and others are just ripoffs. It is compact and reatively easy to get around. Missionary Ridge does cut the city in two and dows lead to tying up traffic some. My only knowledge about Greenville SC is based on going through it. Aside from going to the BMW plant, I can't say that I know anything about Greenville. I do stop to get Sourwood Honey there.

Well, We know for certain that it is not Tennessee. That is the only Greeneville. I think that are 21 Greenvilles. IMHO, Chattanooga is one of the most attractive cities in the Eastern US. It has a beautiful and liveable downtown, mountain vistas and a number of tourists sites. Some of those are worth visiting and others are just ripoffs. It is compact and reatively easy to get around. Missionary Ridge does cut the city in two and dows lead to tying up traffic some. My only knowledge about Greenville SC is based on going through it. Aside from going to the BMW plant, I can't say that I know anything about Greenville. I do stop to get Sourwood Honey there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why do you come to Greenville to get sourwood honey? I have never even heard of sourwood honey, or Greenville's supposed expertise in selling it. Interesting! I would've thought somewhere in western NC around Asheville or Hendersonville would be the place to go for something like that.

Can I change my vote, I want to vote for Greenville instead.  I had no idea that amount of growth and new commercial and residential development were going on.  WoW! For a city that size, it's truly amazing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose all votes are final, unfortunately. :P

I would imagine that a lot of votes would change from Chattanooga to Greenville if more people had 1) realized we were referring to Greenville, SC (rather than NC) and 2) more people had actually been to both cities. :thumbsup:

Why would anyone assume that we are talking about Greenville NC? Surely if you have heard of that place then you have heard of Greenville SC.

There are alot of Greenville's, but it seems to me that you would hear of the larger ones before you hear of the smaller ones.

^I only took monsoon's question half-seriously, one reason being the one you supplied. In every other poll/thread in the Southern USA forum, Greenville listed without a state designation refers to the one in SC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that's really the way it should be. There are other cities/towns named "Greenville," but there is really only one Greenville...and anybody that's been there knows it's the one in South Carolina! :thumbsup: As for anybody that's not been to Greenville...I have to ask, "What's keeping you?!?! Get yourselves on into town for a spell, and the town will cast a spell on you, too!!!" :D

Archived