IN PROGRESS: The Lofts at the Strand

There's work going on on the upper floors of the building Murphy's Deli is in on Union Street (between Washington and Fountain). Does anyone know what's doing there? Residential, Office, Condo, Rental?

• 2 months later...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting that the cost of the units have been dropped in consideration of the proximity to the nightclubs (while at the same time the nightclub proximity is being used as a selling point). While dropping the prices, the developers still want to profit on the spaces. This proves that Downcity spaces can be developed at affordable prices.

It's interesting that the cost of the units have been dropped in consideration of the proximity to the nightclubs (while at the same time the nightclub proximity is being used as a selling point). While dropping the prices, the developers still want to profit on the spaces. This proves that Downcity spaces can be developed at affordable prices.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think any of us doubted that Downcity spaces could be developed affordably... I think once the "luxury" stuff is built, it'll help clarify the market for what could and should be "affordable." As we've all said, the buildings have been there forever. It takes a market and people who want to make money off their buildings to make the rest happen.

- Garris

Sounds outstanding to me!  Hopefully the do a little work on sprucing up the exterior, but it should be excellent!  The more people downtown, the better.  And the price is right.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The spurcing up should begin soon, the article talked about painting and some other plans.

Actually the sidewalk in front of the Strand has been closed for more than a week (with no alternate for pedestrians but to walk in traffic :rolleyes: ). There's a lift machine, don't really know what they've been doing, I haven't been by during working hours.

Ahh, want to live there....why couldn't this happen a few months from now.....damnit....129K..... what would that be, like 6-12k down payment? Hopefully people will move out in December, or we'll see more of these small affordable condo conversions...solely for my sake!

Yeah, I think I might have to snatch one of those up. I've been thinking for a few months now that I want to try and buy a place in PVD, either starter home or 3-family to rent out. But I would definitely grab a condo on Washington St. for that price. Ha, I'm talking as if I have the money to do this today. I wish.....

Yeah, I think I might have to snatch one of those up. I've been thinking for a few months now that I want to try and buy a place in PVD, either starter home or 3-family to rent out. But I would definitely grab a condo on Washington St. for that price.  Ha, I'm talking as if I have the money to do this today. I wish.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I made an appointment to see the few they have left (the ones without deposits) this afternoon. I'll let you know what they are like. I agree, when I saw the price I had to take a look. I just bought a house, but if all seems good with this it's worth the risk to invest, no?

Does anyone know any contact information about this project to inquire about what condos and prices are still left?

Actually the sidewalk in front of the Strand has been closed for more than a week (with no alternate for pedestrians but to walk in traffic  :rolleyes: ). There's a lift machine, don't really know what they've been doing, I haven't been by during working hours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel like there's gotta be a catch here somewhere.  129-163k for a condo in the heart of downcity.....something's up that we must be missing. Or maybe I'm just too pessimistic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I agree with you.

A, they are probably pretty small. 20 units in that space?

B, despite what the article says, there has to be some noise issues there. Everyone from the Strand/Lupos goes out in that alley to smoke EVERY NIGHT. Don't ever plan on having your windows open.

That said, if anyone has the contact info, post it. I'm very curious, and it is certainly nice to have more moderately priced options available downtown, whatever their issues.

I've seen them working there for months. I'm surprised they are going residential...

The fact that there's what, 5, 6? people just on this forum who are interested in this kind of place says a lot about the Downcity market. Of course the price is a big factor, but still.

Does anyone know any contact information about this project to inquire about what condos and prices are still left?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My partner knows Stuart Levey from a previous business deal and his boss knows Seth Shapiro. He used connections. I'm going over there in a little while to take a look. I'll see what I can find out about contacts.

AriPVD - Where do you live in Downcity? I went on the PPS Festival of Historic Houses downcity in June, and I definitely enjoyed myself - after years of going to shows at Lupo's in high school & college, walking around Westminster wondering if I could just move into some of the vacant spaces on the upper floors....it's great to finally see this happening.

KRC - I would love to hear about your visit, how to inquire about any units left, etc. Thanks...

Griswald - In the Peerless Building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's fantastic. I got to check out a couple of the lofts in there. I just want to live on the roof deck, though I haven't seen it yet. How do you like living there so far? I'm sure a lot will change, once more of the services start to move downcity.

Hopefully the Strand project on Washington will spur some of those other landlords to finally fix up their rundown properties or to sell them to those who will.

I would love to see similar rehab projects with the narrow bldg on Washington (the one Paolino wanted to knock down). The guy who owns the bldg does a lousy job maintaining it.

On Westminster, there are still some really dilapidated storefronts that must make it more difficult for the good landlords like Chace to market his properties.

Archived