IN PROGRESS: The Lofts at the Strand

Okay, I'm back! There really isn't too much to tell. None of the units are finished. They are asking for $5000 down and most of the good ones are spoken for. There are only 20 or so available and more than half have deposits. The construction manager told my partner that they are not too sure if they will need to open any kind of sales office so I don't know if they will make it public. The one unit I did get to see was facing the parking garage on Union on the second level and the view was less than stellar....but for $135,00, I'm thinking maybe. If I can get any more information I'll let you know. Right now, I have to get back to work. I've spent half my day checking this out.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I'm back!  There really isn't too much to tell.  None of the units are finished.  They are asking for $5000 down and most of the good ones are spoken for.  There are only 20 or so available and more than half have deposits.  The construction manager told my partner that they are not too sure if they will need to open any kind of sales office so I don't know if they will make it public.  The one unit I did get to see was facing the parking garage on Union on the second level and the view was less than stellar....but for $135,00, I'm thinking maybe.  If I can get any more information I'll let you know.  Right now, I have to get back to work.  I've spent half my day checking this out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm, thanks a lot for the info. sounds like a real "down-low" type of thing. might be a really good deal.

KRC- Did you get an idea of the square footage of these units? Is there a range of sizes?

Okay, I'm back!  There really isn't too much to tell.  None of the units are finished.  They are asking for $5000 down and most of the good ones are spoken for.  There are only 20 or so available and more than half have deposits.  The construction manager told my partner that they are not too sure if they will need to open any kind of sales office so I don't know if they will make it public.  The one unit I did get to see was facing the parking garage on Union on the second level and the view was less than stellar....but for $135,00, I'm thinking maybe.  If I can get any more information I'll let you know.  Right now, I have to get back to work.  I've spent half my day checking this out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AriPVD - Since you live downtown, what are the options for parking down there and can one get an economical rate? I was just wondering since a project like this (Strand) has lower priced units but I assume without any parking. How expensive is it to get a space somewhere? Thanks.

AriPVD - Where do you live in Downcity?  I went on the PPS Festival of Historic Houses downcity in June, and I definitely enjoyed myself - after years of going to shows at Lupo's in high school & college, walking around Westminster wondering if I could just move into some of the vacant spaces on the upper floors....it's great to finally see this happening.

KRC - I would love to hear about your visit, how to inquire about any units left, etc. Thanks...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn! I was hoping I'd have a chance to get one when they opened! I've been thinking about this all day and have done all the math over and over in my head, just to find out that they're practically gone! No crap there's a market for this. If there were 500 more of these sprouting up, they'd still be gone in a heartbeat. These guys don't know what they're doing. I understand that it's profitable to squeeze a market dry for higher rents at lesser risk but I can't imagine it's not appetizing for somebody to fill the gap and undercut bigger developers by supplying the real demand. It's not impossible to develop residential towers that are affordable and architecturally impressive. As I'm sure most of you would agree, I would definitely sacrifice the size and glitz of my living space for the psychologically (and physically) healthier lifestyle of living in a neighborhood where all your needs are met and there's a constant buzz of activity that doesn't only involve cars.

As I'm sure most of you would agree, I would definitely sacrifice the size and glitz of my living space for the psychologically (and physically) healthier lifestyle of living in a neighborhood where all your needs are met and there's a constant buzz of activity that doesn't only involve cars.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly! I know I would and will when I'm ready to settle down.

I have to say I really do enjoy living downtown. Things have changed alot since when I lived downtown two years ago. Moving travle. aid, adding the clean team and just having other loft owners living and moving about..downtown is a fun place to be.

KRC- Did you get an idea of the square footage of these units?  Is there a range of sizes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I only got to see the one unit and I would guess it to be in the 750-900 sq/ft range. Not very big, but not too bad at all. Again, the walls are barely up. It was hard for me to picture the finished product in my head. I will say my boyfriend was quite unmoved. He wasn't exactly thrilled with the looking at a parking garage aspect.

Yeah, there must be something that I'm missing...but on this one online forum, we have all of these people who would love to buy a renovated condo downtown. It doesn't need granite counters and stainless appliances. Just hardwoods and exposed brick, which are usually the original materials anyway. So how do all of these developers find out what their market is? They don't go dooor to door asking if people would be interested in a luxury condo.... I think we should send a link to a bunch of developers, showing them this forum. Or maybe I'll just buy one of the vacant buildings downtown and turn it into mid-range condos. Sweet, I just made 9 bucks so far today, and I haven't done any work yet.

Hmmm, maybe all of us can team up and buy a building and then sell it off as condos.....

My sense is that the developers go after the luxury market first because that where the biggest profit margins are. Once that end of the market is supplied, that doesn't mean the end to the development boom because it's still profitable to cater to the midrange of the market only somewhat less so.

Given the interest in the midrange as demonstrated with the excitement over the Strand lofts, it looks like downtown could support a lot more residential conversions of this sort. The only pessimism that I feel here is that some of the downtown landlords are, for some unknown reason, remarkably out of touch with their own properties. They let them sit year after year as vacant shells or at least way underutilized. Hopefully the Strand will cause them to see that their buildings have a use other than as potential parking lots and they will sell out.

Yeah, there must be something that I'm missing...but on this one online forum, we have all of these people who would love to buy a renovated condo downtown.  It doesn't need granite counters and stainless appliances.  Just hardwoods and exposed brick, which are usually the original materials anyway. So how do all of these developers find out what their market is? They don't go dooor to door asking if people would be interested in a luxury condo.... I think we should send a link to a bunch of developers, showing them this forum.  Or maybe I'll just buy one of the vacant buildings downtown and turn it into mid-range condos.  Sweet, I just made 9 bucks so far today, and I haven't done any work yet.

Hmmm, maybe all of us can team up and buy a building and then sell it off as condos.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just when i'm start to drool you mentioned that most good ones are spoken for :'(

still: can u share some contact info since you said probably they wont have public office?

thanks

I have to say I really do enjoy living downtown. Things have changed alot since when I lived downtown two years ago. Moving travle. aid, adding the clean team and just having other loft owners living and moving about..downtown is a fun place to be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, I have to say I'm really glad to hear this! It's nice to know that Westminster St living is the real deal and it has the potential to be a real neighborhood. Thanks for letting us know how things are going.

- Garris

Okay everyone. I hate the be the barer of disappointing, but Seth Shaprio called my boyfriend last night and told him that all of the units are now spoken for. They had received the last deposit and the project is now fully sold. However, Seth did tell us that if anyone of these falls through that he would give us a call. If I here anything, I will pass the message on to you guys. I promise.

just when i'm start to drool you mentioned that most good ones are spoken for :'(

still: can u share some contact info since you said probably they wont have public office?

thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will see what I can do. But like I said, the units are gone. Unless someone backs out on the deal. Seth Sharpiro did say he'd call us if anyone backs out. If I hear, I will most certainly let you know. I'll post here first. Also, next time he speaks with one of them, I'll ask if it's okay to pass along their number.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where do you park and where do you do your grocery shopping?

I use Peapod for all my food needs however sometimes I'll grab something at ( walk ) wholefoods, cvs, 711 etc.

People park in misc places; some at the mall becasue they charge only $110 amonth aswell as other places but alot of the downtown options arent very good unless you want a broken into car. Walking on Union street it only takes no more than three min. walking to the mall. The convention center could also have monthly spots but that I dont know.

Peerless will have 68 spots under the building when they are done and then in a year or so the Grant building will have space for all.

Don't forget the sound-session block party is on Wesminter Street tonight. Three music stanges etc. ( 10:00PM-2:00am ) Ill be there.

I see that Tazza now has outdoor seating.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All the info on the events can be found here: http://www.providencesoundsession.com/

The music starts at 5:00 at waterplace till 10 then everyone parades to wesminter street where they have constucted three stanges for music which will play till 1 or 2 o'clock. I can see one of the stanges from my window. I think they had 9,000 people on wesminter street last year but this year waterfire is at the sametime..should be huge.

Frank I noticed the chairs last night at tazza and looking out this morning I see they have them out again. Its a good idea and I would think draw more people into tazza.

Archived