Who would you vote for Mayor in '07

vicupstate

If the following candidates were to offer for Mayor in '07, whom would you be inclined to vote for?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. If the following candidates were to offer for Mayor in '07, whom would you be inclined to vote for?

• Elaine Brown
    • Matt Carlucci
    • Nat Glover
    • Kevin Hyde
    • Suzanne Jenkins
    • John Peyton
    • Mike Weinstein
    • Other (please specify)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Weinstein really running again? I hadn't heard that. I like Weinstein, and I've only heard good things about Hyde.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I was a huge Carlucci supporter last time. However he completely destroyed any political power he had by crossing party lines to endorse Nat Glover. It's one thing to switch parties - since nearly every Republican over 45 used to be a Democrat, Carlucci and Jenkins included - but to do what Carlucci did really offended most of his supporters. I would have a better shot at winning the Republican primary than Carlucci.

I voted for Weinstein, though I would rather vote for the combination of Gloversteinlucci. All three have proven track records and I don't vote based on party affiliations. Would anyone consider Mousa a viable candidate?

Is Weinstein really running again? I hadn't heard that. I like Weinstein, and I've only heard good things about Hyde.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I was a huge Carlucci supporter last time. However he completely destroyed any political power he had by crossing party lines to endorse Nat Glover. It's one thing to switch parties - since nearly every Republican over 45 used to be a Democrat, Carlucci and Jenkins included - but to do what Carlucci did really offended most of his supporters. I would have a better shot at winning the Republican primary than Carlucci.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have not heard that Weinstein was running again, but as a close runner-up from the last election, he is an obvious possiblity. Same goes for Carlucci and Glover.

As for Carlucci, I seriously don't get why what he did is "unforgiveable". Delaney either endorsed Corrine Brown (A Demcrat Jax Congresswoman) or declined to endorse her GOP opponent in what was a close race. Plus he once said that he would endorse Glover to succeed him. (He later declined to endorse anyone). No one burned him at the stake.

Besides, shouldn't Carlucci get credit for sticking to principle over party. He saw that Peyton wasn't up to the task, even if few others did at the time. Sounds like a good judge of character to me. Not a bad trait in a leader. Carlucci could have taken the easy way out and just endorsed Peyton and run again in 4 or 8 years. Instead he choose to endorse the candidate he felt was best, even if it meant being scorned and the target of racist graffiti. Courage to do the right thing (like biting the bullet and paying for a REAL courthouse solution instead of pushing it off to the next administartion) is sorely lacking in the current Mayor.

Besides, Peyton beat Carlucci over the head during the campaign by stating that Carlucci voted to "raised taxes". In reality he merely voted to rollback the tax rate by smaller amount. You know, the SAME THING PEYTON IS PROPOSING TO DO in his new budget. If Carlucci does run, he ought to bludgeon Peyton with that one.

Did you live in Jacksonville during the last election vic?

Carlucci was certainly NOT chosing principle. He, and the other Republican candidates made a promise to each other to endorse the eventual winner of the Republican primary. This was when they all knew who the candidates were, and already knew Glover would represent the Dems. Carlucci broke this promise without any shame. Many people who gave Carlucci their hard earned money for his campaign felt deeply betrayed, since they wouldn't have given him their financial support if they had known he would break that promise.

Furthermore, Carlucci endorsed Glover specifically to spite Peyton, not because he liked Glover for any principled reason. Carlucci was upset because of the afformentioned negative ads. That's not curageous. That's hot-headed.

Anyway, I'd probably still vote for Carlucci, based on his strong support for downtown. I really liked his ideas. However, his political support is GONE. There's no point in arguing that point. Most of his old financial supporters won't deal with him anymore.

I like Mike. The guy has a true heart for the city while knowing well the political aspects of running it. Instrumental in BJP and I believe he would have done better on the courthouse deal. I also wonder how Trilegacy and the Shipyards would have turned out.

Screw political parties, get rid of them.

Did you live in Jacksonville during the last election vic?

Carlucci was certainly NOT chosing principle. He, and the other Republican candidates made a promise to each other to endorse the eventual winner of the Republican primary. This was when they all knew who the candidates were, and already knew Glover would represent the Dems. Carlucci broke this promise without any shame. Many people who gave Carlucci their hard earned money for his campaign felt deeply betrayed, since they wouldn't have given him their financial support if they had known he would break that promise.

Furthermore, Carlucci endorsed Glover specifically to spite Peyton, not because he liked Glover for any principled reason. Carlucci was upset because of the afformentioned negative ads. That's not curageous. That's hot-headed.

Anyway, I'd probably still vote for Carlucci, based on his strong support for downtown. I really liked his ideas. However, his political support is GONE. There's no point in arguing that point. Most of his old financial supporters won't deal with him anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To answer your question, no.

If indeed Carlucci promised that "no matter what the winner says or does to get in the runoff, I will support him", and he still endorsed Glover, then he broke his promise.

If a contributor gave Carlucci's campaign money, one would ASSUME they wanted Carlucci to be mayor because of his platform and his abilities to carry it out. If they simply wanted someone with a "R" after their name, they should have given their money to the Duval GOP. Maybe Carlucci made the same assumption.

I don't doubt that Carlucci was at least partly motivated by Peyton's negative ads. Spreading half-truths about you is a logical reason to lose respect for someone IMO.

It was several days, if not a week or more after the primary before Carlucci endorsed Glover. He did not exactly endorse him on the night he lost. He had to know that he was inflicting damage to his political future and his business as well. If he did it only to spite Peyton, he had to know he was hurting himself in the process.

I guess my real point is that no candidate should even be asked to sign anything regarding endorsing another candidate, especially before the campaigns have even begun. I also think that decisions need to be made more on the basis of competence and not partisanship in politics. The Mayor's race should be a non-partisan race to begin with. This is especially true since the candidates all run together for two spots, regardless of party. If the race must be partisan, each party should choose it's own candidate, that then face each other.

Hidesight is 20/20, but I think Peyton has shown himself to be less than he promised, and Carlucci looks prophetic.

I agree with Viper and Captain: I voted for Carlucci in the primaries and Peyton in the general. I was also shocked to see Carlucci stab fellow Republicans (and supporters like me) in the back by endorsing a Democrat. I also think he was being a sore loser rather than acting on principal since Glover's tenure at the JSO did not inspire confidence that he would be a good mayor. Having said that, I wish I had voted for Weinstein b/c I think he would have been like having a 3rd term for Delaney and he would have gotten Trilegacy (you remember the people with taste who used to own the Shipyards) on track and the courthouse would be completed by now. The bottom line is Peyton is in WAY over his head and needs to go. By the way, I hate harping on this all the time, but Peyton continues to make poor decisions.

I'm sure Carlucci had his reasons.. I don't think it was just to spite Peyton.. I just think he knew that Peyton wasn't up for the job.

I've always liked Mike myself, and would love to see him run again. I'll have my figers crossed on that one.

And on a final note, in my personal opinion, political parties shouldn't play a role in local politics. On a national level, yes.. local, no.

Archived