Value of Downtown Construction

49er

So looking at all the projects that have been started, announced or completed since 2000, how much money do you all think has really been invested in Downtown Charlotte this decade? It has to be in excess of $1 billion...maybe pushing $2 billion or more. Any ideas?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So looking at all the projects that have been started, announced or completed since 2000, how much money do you all think has really been invested in Downtown Charlotte this decade? It has to be in excess of $1 billion...maybe pushing $2 billion or more. Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The arena would accound for nearly 300M, so go figure. The Wachovia proposal on the table will exceed 300M. So just thos project alone account for well over 600M in Uptown development, so I could easily see $2B being realistic.

A2

Here is the list I came up with for projects exceeding $50M individually.

Wachovia Campus = $300M

Arena = $250M

Multi-Modal Station= $200M

The Vue = $200M

EpiCentre = $200M

Hearst Tower = $160M ????

3 Wachovia = $140 M ????

JWU = $110M

Westin = $110M

Avenue = $80M

Courthouse = $80M

Trademark = $60M

Ritz-Cartlon = $60M

That list right there is $1.95B.

The NASCAR HOF would be another $140M, plus I did not include the trolley/LRT because they extend outside the core.

In my research position in Charlotte I used to track the value of developments downtown.

The Hearst was about $160 million when finished so that # works

Three Wachovia sat at about $100 million, but maybe the Ratcliffe and park make it $140 million.

Fifth and Poplar was $60 million I believe

Is Imaginon under 50 mil?

Also, much of the residential at gateway came online after 2000 or at about that time. that total development was $350 million.

Regardless, that stat is staggering for such a small area!

For comparision, Downtown Raleigh is coming in at about 1 billion on the dot in new development over a 5 year period from 2003 - 2008. its a good #, considering the lack of corporate power present in that downtown and how it has historically lagged in revitalization.

For comparision, Downtown Raleigh is coming in at about 1 billion on the dot in new development over a 5 year period from 2003 - 2008. its a good #, considering the lack of corporate power present in that downtown and how it has historically lagged in revitalization.

I have not heard about any big Raleigh projects... what are they?

• 2 weeks later...

i was looking through my old files and i saved off center city partner's list of development projects from 2001. i'll leave out the ones that didn't materialize:

Hearst Tower: 160m

200 S Tryon: ?

South Tryon Square: 55m

3 Wachovia/First Union: 120m

Ratcliffe/The Green: ?

129 W trade renovation: 6.2m

Gateway Village: 300m

401 E Trade: 3m (kind of interesting that two years later it was toast for the arena)

Westin: 134m

Panos Hilton Garden/Hampton Inn: 34m

Resident Inn: ?

Fourth Ward development

715 N Church: 11.5m

5th/Poplar: 60m

Frederick Place: 4.5m

Jefferson Place: ?

6th/Graham: 8m

Settlers Place: ?

Uptown Place: 22m

First Ward development