Sandlapper Reunion

teshadoh

Which Region Are You From?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which Region Are You From?

• Upstate (Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson, Rock Hill)
    • Midstate (Aiken, Columbia, Florence, Sumter)
    • Lowstate (Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Beaufort)

Just a thought based off of a similar poll in the NC forum. Also because there appear to be a number of NC forummers from SC also - besides me living in Atlanta. Of course vote for your present location - I admit the thread title is a little inappropriate for my intent.

I'm from the upstate - grew up in Rock Hill & my family dates back to the 1780's in Spartanburg. Oddly enough though - I was born in Columbia.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Concerning Rock Hill, sometimes I see it lumped with the Upstate, and sometimes with the Midlands (the upper portion); guess it really depends on who's doing the classifying.

And to not pick on you Teshadoh, but I don't think that Myrtle Beach is classified as being in the Lowcountry, but rather the Pee Dee--the Grand Strand to be more specific. ;)

^ Ok, now you are being picky :)

But you are right - hopefully this won't erupt into a regional arguement - but these definitions are highly variable. I combine the Foothills & Piedmont region with 'Upstate', with the Foothills being the heart of Upstate. With the Pee Dee valley - I split that based on proximity to the Fall Line, so culturally Myrtle Beach is indeed not a Low Country city.

So please excuse the errors - but you know if I had it my way I would have just included Upstate & Lowstate with Columbia having to fend for itself ;)

^  Ok, now you are being picky :)

But you are right - hopefully this won't erupt into a regional arguement - but these definitions are highly variable.  I combine the Foothills & Piedmont region with 'Upstate', with the Foothills being the heart of Upstate.  With the Pee Dee valley - I split that based on proximity to the Fall Line, so culturally Myrtle Beach is indeed not a Low Country city. 

So please excuse the errors - but you know if I had it my way I would have just included Upstate & Lowstate with Columbia having to fend for itself ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see what you are saying. You are dividing the state based on land formations more so than our preconcieved notions of them.

Generally, the Upstate, Midlands, Lowcountry, and Pee Dee are the accepted regions in SC.

I have friends from the Pee Dee, and if you ask what region they are from, you won't hear 'Lowcountry' or 'Midlands' you will hear "I'm from the Pee Dee" every time.

Some consider Horry County to be in the Lowcountry, however it has more local ties to the Pee Dee since it is in the Florence/MB market area.

Hmmm...can anyone guess where I'm from (born and raised)? :rofl::rolleyes:

As far as regions, I see what you are doing. The "Lower" state is really more along the lines of the coastal regions. True, MB is not considered Lowcountry, and most people there would say so...usually MB'ers distinguish themselves as being part of the Grand Strand. This includes Horry and Georgetown Counties, believe it or not.

Georgetown usually doesn't consider itself as Lowcountry because of its closer ties to MB. However, if you're talking about general sectional areas of the state, I think the poll is on track.

Archived