Linking Main Street to Heritage Green

vicupstate

The city has been trying to link these two areas, but with little success thus far. Landscaping has helped visually improve this stretch of College Street, but the two areas are still disconnected.

This is a tough challenge because:

** College is one-way and four lanes wide

** The Landmark Building provides no street interaction with College

** Ditto for the Bell South building at College and Academy

** the Bell South parking lot frontage onto College

BTW, there was a plan to put a fountain in the little triangle formed by the BBT building, and College and Buncombe Streets. I see signs and stakes in that area, does anyone know if the fountain is definitely coming?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see a few creatively designed pedestrian bridges built within the CBD. Crossing over Academy Street would be one of the most prominent and necessary locations. Another would be crossing over Church Street to get to and from the Bi-Lo Center. These should be architectural masterpieces (similar to, if not better than), the parking garages being built around the City. This would open up areas we've wanted to see more pedestrian traffic flow. More to follow... :)

I would like to see a few creatively designed pedestrian bridges built within the CBD.  Crossing over Academy Street would be one of the most prominent and necessary locations.  Another would be crossing over Church Street to get to and from the Bi-Lo Center.  These should be architectural masterpieces (similar to, if not better than), the parking garages being built around the City.  This would open up areas we've wanted to see more pedestrian traffic flow.  More to follow... :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the way you think! I agree

I would like to see a few creatively designed pedestrian bridges built within the CBD.  Crossing over Academy Street would be one of the most prominent and necessary locations.  Another would be crossing over Church Street to get to and from the Bi-Lo Center.  These should be architectural masterpieces (similar to, if not better than), the parking garages being built around the City.  This would open up areas we've wanted to see more pedestrian traffic flow.  More to follow... :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like this too in principle, but I don't think it is necessary. Better crosswalks and medians could be made to make pedestrians feel safer. Also, many people won't want to walk "up" if it is not necessary :)

Because Heritage Green does not really *feel* like it is downtown and accessible, I wish we could have our museums, theaters, library, etc. in the West End. That would add to our downtown and fuel development in the West End, but that is obviously not realistic. We need to make Heritage Green part of downtown, and visually annex that land (ha ha). So what are our options?

Pedestrian bridges sound like an interesting idea, but can they be done in a pleasing and creative way? The boring sky bridges/crosswalks tend to bring an area down in my mind. I think people need more of a reason to go to Heritage Green. There are no restaurants, shopping areas, or clubs in the area, but getting anything like that in the area requres several optimistic people to take a risk. How do we get people to do that? Can we offer incentives for businesses locating in the area?

The other drawback is that the safety factor seems to sharply decrease after you get past the last museum on College. I don't think people are inclined to venture too far that way into the "bad" side of town. We have mentioned that this area needs to be improved, and I think development in and around Heritage Green will improve also when that side of town improves.

I think this post highlights one of the biggest obstacles we have to downtown development, and that is increasing foot traffic in the areas surrounding Main Street. Everything is clustered around Main, but how do we get people to cross East North and Academy (two very busy streets) and explore? Currently, there is no reason for people to go to those areas (in terms of eating, walking, shopping, etc.). With no foot traffic, people don't want to open businesses in those areas. A Catch-22, yes?

I hope that the Starbucks between the two Liberty buildings will help some with foot traffic across East North, but for the most part there is NOTHING in that area (just like Heritage Green). We need people to take a chance on these areas, but we must find a way to do that. Any ideas?

I agree with Greenville there...specifically, it's a shame that Heritage Green isn't on University Ridge and vice versa.

So, let's improve what we've got. :thumbsup:

Make the entire stretch from Main to Heritage Green (on both the West-Bound College Street and the East-Bound Buncombe Street) more visually appealing.

For starters, I'd like to see the "Heritage Green" sign replaced with something more eye-catching, colorful, and illuminated. I'd also like to see it moved to where it faces the corner of Academy and College rather than just facing College Street alone. You want to face the oncoming traffic with your signage; otherwise, there's no point in having it there, no?

Additionally, I'd like to see wider, more pedestrian enticing sidewalks between Richardson Street and Heritage Green with the same landscaping, trees, lights, benches, etc. that exist on Main Street...extend that Main Street look and feel on over.

Furthermore, pieces of art and sculpture between Main and Heritage Green would be something to entice pedestrians down that way.

Also, why not add more benches, trees, and water features to Heritage Green itself? Incorporate it (the grounds at least) into the Park System and tie it on around into McPherson Park (which, incidentally, is undergoing some improvements recently)?

Why not have a kid's play fountain in the lawn in front of the Library....something that shoots water into the air in the shape of an open book? Perhaps just a large fountain/bronze sculpture in the shape of an open book on top of a stack of books (all with titles of classics on the bindings), spewing forth water (representing knowledge)?

Lastly, and least likely, it would be nice if the BB&T Building on the Triange between College, Buncombe, and Academy were raized and replaced with something both more park-like as well as residential (similar to the condos going in at River Place). The same could be done on the corner of Academy and Buncombe bordered by Duncan Street and Hampton Avenue. This may seem like an oddball idea and it isn't one I would typically endorse; however, with newer office towers being developed downtown nearer Main Street, BB&T and others would have ample opportunity for newer facilities. If this semi-block were opened up and more populated, it would make Heritage Green more accessable and could perhaps entice some more people that direction.

Hmmm. I love Heritage Green. The old, tall trees are beautiful. I agree that something should be done with that ugly BB&T building across College St. I think it's too prime of piece of property to let waste with one building on it and a private garage. It's the gateway to the Northern commuters and should be welcoming, yet breath-taking. :D And something that would add to the visible N. Main area Skyline. I wouldnt want to see more park space on that property. I think there should be residences, and a tower with office space with retail.

I'm thinking that possibly, of course wide sidewalks, landscaping to help walkers escape the heat in the summer time, and maybe elevate them somewhat. Cars zoom past down college street and can be intimidating. If they were raised up a foot or so from the street there would be some added safety.

Another prime piece of property would be JB Lacher's. Raize the building and do away with the parking lot. Richardson St garage is right there. Build a tower that would in-turn attract businesses to the area, who would hope to catch workers on their lunch hour. One development can make all the difference. The WestEnd is a prime model to follow. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

The other drawback is that the safety factor seems to sharply decrease after you get past the last museum on College. I don't think people are inclined to venture too far that way into the "bad" side of town. We have mentioned that this area needs to be improved, and I think development in and around Heritage Green will improve also when that side of town improves.

I think this is rapidly diminishing. Most of the neighborhoods have been revitalized behind here.

When you speak of a pedestrian bridge... are you referring to something like what crosses Pleasantburg next to BJU? If that's the case, then count me out. I'd rather not walk up those stairs just to cross four lanes. I think I'd rather take my chances with a car :D . I don't know.

It would be neat if College Street was dropped down some and went under Main with ramps going up in a sort of way, and elevate the sidewalks down College. this would allow easier access to cross using a bridge because you would have to only venture up a few steps if any... It might not be the MOST practical solution, but it's possible. :silly:

Add Heritage Green to the free trolly route. A trolly loop that when down main street to Heritage Green and to the west end would be cool ride.

I am not in favor of the pedestrian bridge I don't feel people would be willing to climb the steps and it would be under used as far as lowering academy street that would be cool but a huge project. As our town gets larger a good hop on hop off trolly system would be a great asset for Greenville.

Add Heritage Green to the free trolly route. A trolly loop that when down main street to Heritage Green and to the west end would be cool ride.

I am not in favor of the pedestrian bridge I don't feel people would be willing to climb the steps and it would be under used as far as lowering academy street that would be cool but a huge project. As our town gets larger a good hop on hop off trolly system would be a great asset for Greenville.

I agree with Trey. The simplest solution is to add a trolley stop. If the trolley only runs every 15 minutes, you may want to add a dedicated short loop from Heritage Green to somwehere on the North end of Main street that could loop every 5 minutes or so. I guess it depends on the demand for ridership. If you could ride there rather than try to walk it, I think that it would be a more popular area. That might lead to further improvements up Buncombe St.

I agree with Trey. The simplest solution is to add a trolley stop. If the trolley only runs every 15 minutes, you may want to add a dedicated short loop from Heritage Green to somwehere on the North end of Main street that could loop every 5 minutes or so. I guess it depends on the demand for ridership. If you could ride there rather than try to walk it, I think that it would be a more popular area. That might lead to further improvements up Buncombe St.

I agree with Trey and NYT about the trolley stop. A downtown "loop" makes perfect sense!

However, being a walker myself, I think the pedestrian bridge accross Academy holds some merit also. Wouldn't want to see anything like the ugly bridge for BJU across Pleasantburg. However, an architecturally stunning bridge, maybe with some stone, lit well at night (maybe some uplighting), ramped instead of steps. This could add some character and flavor and actually "pull" people to want to use and enjoy. A couple of mini Falls Park type bridges, flanking either end of Academy.

Ok, I've gone to thinking again, watch out! Here's another CRAZY idea. ok, instead of just lowering college, bury it. Make it into a tunnel that passes under downtown's CBD with loops that will bring you to other streets above ground. Therefore, we can create a park-like green space, like a mall infront of the liberty square buildings and towards Heritage Green. :D People, once they see the shade and welcoming-ness of the space, they won't hessitate to venture towards the Bilo Center or towards our museum district. :ph34r:

Ok, I've gone to thinking again, watch out! Here's another CRAZY idea. ok, instead of just lowering college, bury it. Make it into a tunnel that passes under downtown's CBD with loops that will bring you to other streets above ground. Therefore, we can create a park-like green space, like a mall infront of the liberty square buildings and towards Heritage Green. :D People, once they see the shade and welcoming-ness of the space, they won't hessitate to venture towards the Bilo Center or towards our museum district. :ph34r:

That could be a good idea. But would be very, very expensive. Can we say BIG DIG.

Below are some photos of a pedestrian bridge that Tacoma built to connect their downtown with their art museum district. The bridge crosses a freeway. The walls and ceilings of the bridge hold glass pieces by Chihuly (who I believe was born in or near Tacoma). The light coming through is spectacular. I loved this bridge because Tacoma really thought outside the box. The bridge was not just a way to get to the museum, but walking over the bridge was part of the overall experience. If GV is going to connect downtown with Heritage Green (the cultural district) it should do something like this. Make the connection part of the experience! :thumbsup:

Below is the outside of the bridge:

CIMG1412.jpg

Below are two photos of the walls of the bridge:

CIMG1409.jpg

CIMG1408.jpg

Below is the roof on the bridge:

CIMG1411.jpg

Archived