Downtown Raleigh Projects

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to put a list of projects currently planned or under construction that I'm aware of here. If I know the amount of $$ I'll put that next to it.

Convention center - ~$190 mil

Quorum Center - $30 mil

Fay. Street - ~$10 mil

Paramount

Green Square (NC Museum of Nat. Sci. extension)

Renovation of Heilig-Levine building

Palladium Plaza

222 Glenwood

Glen on Peace

Courthouse Square

Marriott HQ Hotel

TTA Stations

Intermodal Station

New Public Safety Center

32-story Reynolds Tower

Seaboard Station

The Hudson

Dawson on Morgan (Technically compete now)

Carlton Place

Jamaica Drive Condos

Raleigh Office Supply site condos

Renovation or Raleigh Times building

Blount Street Renaissance

This is just a few that I thought of and got off the city's webpage...I'm sure there are more. Feel free to add...

Here is a link to a lot of the projects listed above...

green square: 93 mil

two progress: 100 mil

222 glenwood: 40 mil

convention hotel: 60 mil

news and observer headquarters: 55 mil

palladium plaza: 20 mil

convention center: 180 mil

quorum: 35 mil

paramount condos: 25 mil

Dawson condos: 25 mil

southend underground parking: 25 mil

fayetteville st: 10 mil

Blount St redevelopment: 80 mil (estimated)

theres about $750 mil so far. There are many small scale projects around that bring that figure up to 1 billion like the TTA multimodal station and the countless projects that empire properties is working on. The recent news that Crosland is working on downtown apts and the upcoming Reynolds tower announcement will push that number through the roof...not to mention an RBC tower announcement in august...so the rumors say???

The N&O will probably build a 10-12 story building fronting Nash Square, but there have been no formal announcements. I'd expect to see it start construction by 2007. There have been constant rumors about RBC, and the latest say August announcement for a tower on Fayetteville St. We'll just have to wait and see.

Any more details/gossip about the Reynolds or RBC projects ?

JB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First time post. just got off the phone with a buddy of mine at RBC Centura and he says there is talk that RBC will announce the move to DT Raleigh in the next month. No word on location or building size though.

Woohoo!
The pessimist in me expects something at North Hills or worse yet an office campus somewhere in suburbia. The optimist in me wants to see a 30 story building on the most valuable parking lot in the city at Fayetteville and Martin. Either that, or the RBC project and the Reynolds project are one and the same. That works for me!

Guess we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully it's not just hype.

Great news! I hope RBC chooses the site on Fay St. We could use another tower there.

Weren't there rumors of SunTrust being the anchor for the Reynolds project? As an aside, I walk past the Reynolds property each day and it still doesn't seem like a great spot for a 30+ story bldg (across from the 2 story historic Dodd Hinsdale house and next to the 2-story Flying Saucer and 5-story Dawson).

The optimist in me wants to see a 30 story building on the most valuable parking lot in the city at Fayetteville and Martin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What kind of impact would a 25 story tower at the most valuable parking lot in the city at Fayetteville and Martin have on the Raleigh skyline ?

JB

What kind of impact would a 25 story tower at the most valuable parking lot in the city at Fayetteville and Martin have on the Raleigh skyline ?

A building in that parking lot would fill in the gap between the Wachovia Capitol Center and the BB&T Building, since it's exactly halfway between them. Not to mention that it would plug the only hole in Fayetteville Street.

Wow, I never realized there were som many surface parking lots in DT Raleigh.

True, but we do have a lot fewer than Charlotte. I think we'll run out of space sooner than most people realize.

That aerial doesn't tell the whole story, though, since it predates the Dawson, the Progress Energy building, and of course the convention center. Moore Square Middle School was still under construction when that photo was taken. It's also hard to tell the difference between a 28 story skyscraper, a decent 4 story historic structure, or a single-story Firestone Tire & Lube center. By far the best way to tell what's worth keeping and what's not is to simply go for a walk.

I walk past the Reynolds property each day and it still doesn't seem like a great spot for a 30+ story bldg (across from the 2 story historic Dodd Hinsdale house and next to the 2-story Flying Saucer and 5-story Dawson).
I did sort of think the same thing at first, but after thinking about it for a while longer, I've done an about-face and decided that this is the perfect place for a new skyscraper.

In your list of the surrounding properties, you forgot to mention the 20 story Clarion on the other side of Hillsborough, and the modern 5-story office building (forget what it's called) directly across Dawson. There's also plenty of open lots for more development, which will allow the neighborhood to grow up around it. The lot directly to the south of The Dawson comes to mind.

I agree that history is important, and I have nothing wrong with letting the historic houses (Second Empire, for one) stay there. But I do think that most anywhere in the CBD should be fair game for tall buildings. This site in particular will make the underdeveloped land between Harrington and Mcdowell much more more attractive. Imagine what Raleigh will look like 50 years from now. Do you think that this part of Hillsborough Street will stay just like it is, forever?

I hope that you won't oppose the Reynolds tower just because it's not exactly what you had envisioned for that lot. I would much rather have a large, mixed-use, well-designed tower right there, and soon, rather than let the outdated 301 Hillsborough building and its parking lot sit there for who knows how long. Remember how people have been talking about tying Glenwood South to Fayetteville Street and the rest of downtown? Well, Hillsborough Street is the corridor for the job, and this is the project that will get it off the ground!

If your only issue is that the building is too big, think about this: Are you overwhelmed by the Wachovia Capitol Center when you're walking down Fayetteville Street? Does it overpower the two and three story buildings that are right next door? Not in my opinion. Remember what Mr. Reynolds said when he was addressing city council: "You don't pay that much for a piece of land, and then put an 8 story building on it." He's right. There are two options for 301/309 Hillsborough: build big or build nothing. I choose the former.

Very well spoken orulz. I could only imagine what Raleigh will look like in 50 years. I believe that we are in the dawn of a new age for DT development. After moving to Raleigh in 1970, I can't remember when there has been so much development. Even when the two tallest towers were erected, Raleigh was on a much smaller development plan than it is now. I ask that anyone that has the ability to photoshop all the new and approved development into one picture please do so.

With the new convention center, HQ hotel, Reynolds, 20 story mystery tower by coopers bbq,Quarum, and Rumors of an RBC tower anouncement, we are looking at an entire new skyline in the next 3 -5 years not including what ever else may pop up. Just wish I still lived in Raleigh today to see this transformation each day.

Go Raleigh Go

you forgot to mention the 20 story Clarion on the other side of Hillsborough

True, but the Clarion is certainly nothing to brag about in terms of proper city planning IMO.

the modern 5-story office building (forget what it's called) directly across Dawson

Hillsborough Place

I hope that you won't oppose the Reynolds tower just because it's not exactly what you had envisioned for that lot.

No. I'll support it either way, but I have my concerns.

Remember how people have been talking about tying Glenwood South to Fayetteville Street and the rest of downtown? Well, Hillsborough Street is the corridor for the job, and this is the project that will get it off the ground!

This and proximity to the TTA DT station are the biggest selling points, plus the cache that a new tallest building will bring.

If your only issue is that the building is that it is too big, think about this: Are you overwhelmed by the Wachovia Capitol Center when you're walking down Fayetteville Street? Does it overpower the two and three story buildings that are right next door? I don't think so. Remember what Mr. Reynolds said when he was addressing city council: "You don't pay that much for a piece of land, and then put an 8 story building on it." He's right. There are two options for 301/309 Hillsborough: build big or build nothing. I choose the former.

It seems too big and out of scale for the location, but you do make some good points about the future of this location. I do wonder if this will drive up prices too much in that area along Hillsborough and cause additonal property speculation, delaying further development rather than giving it a shot in the arm. Will the market support additional development if the property values jump even higher? Just as Reynolds points out in his quote, the price for which a developer pays for a parcel will drive what scale the proposal will be. For example, if the 200 block of Hillsborough (betw West and Harrington) is valued at say $5 million, can the market support a development that a developer must propose in order to make money? Perhaps I am off base here, but I do think there are some valid concerns.

With the new convention center, HQ hotel, Reynolds, 20 story mystery tower by coopers bbq,Quarum, and Rumors of an RBC tower anouncement,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 20 story mystery tower by coopers bbq is news to me...any details ?

I thought one of those blocks of mom and pop stores (many of which look a bit out of place) is going to get razed. Is this for the mystery tower.

JB

True, but the Clarion is certainly nothing to brag about in terms of proper city planning IMO.
I think the Clarion is an excellent example of city planning, and a great place for a high-rise hotel. It's a couple short blocks from the Capitol, the Legislature, and a bunch of other office buildings downtown. All of its parking is in its spiral deck. In my opinion, the biggest failing of the Clarion is that it's not built up to the sidewalk. If they could build an addition that turns the circular base into a rectangle that extends all the way to the sidewalk, and then put some shops or extend their lobby inside that addition, then we'd be singing a whole different song.

The Clarion is a product of the era in which it was built. It's not perfect, but it's problems have nothing to do with city planning. They are 100% about design. And we can expect FAR better from Mr. Reynolds's architects.

I do wonder if this will drive up prices too much in that area along Hillsborough and cause additonal property speculation, delaying further development rather than giving it a shot in the arm.
I might have agreed with you 10 years ago. But right now, in 2005, there is no way that a skyscraper on Hillsborough would land us in a speculative catch-22. Downtown real estate is hot everywhere in the country, as developers discover people's pent-up demand for a more urban lifestyle. For an example right here in Raleigh, take a look at Glenwood South. All the new construction and proposals happening up there certainly aren't pricing the developers out of the market. Things steadily continue to pick up steam. No 30 story buildings on Glenwood, but the principle is the same.

It's not like the appraisers will see Reynolds's project and all of a sudden notice that this is a good area for skyscrapers. They already know that, and I think that real estate on Hillsborough between Glenwood and the capital is priced accordingly. A 30 story building right there will undoubtedly have an impact on surrounding land values- but in today's market, and with so many people living and working in the new Renyolds building, I think developers would be even more likely take the risk.

I have to agree with orulz on this one. Not getting into the real estate aspect of it, I appreciate Raleigh's efforts to centralize high density along Fayetteville Street for the visual impact that it would have. However, I think it is a poor move to limit "tall" buildings to just this area. If I were a developer paying high dollar for a lot around Glenwood South, I would want a good ROI by building a 30+ building if I was in a position to do so. Afterall, it is still downtown.

Purchasing an empty lot is much easier to construct on than a lot with pre-existing building on it in close proximitey to other buildings. Build to the west and it will infill over time and change the face of the skyline. It is already happening with the Quorum and the Clarion sticking out by itself. Fill in these areas and give downtown more depth. Too restrictive of guidelines can driveup property costs in the future. If I were a major developer or corporation looking at Raleigh, I may not like my options just on Fayetteville Street.

What happens 50 years from now? Hypothetically, lets say that Fayetteville Street gets filled up with 20-30 story buildings with no room to grow. Now someone comes along and wants to build a 60 story tower but there is no room on Fayetteville Street...where do they build? Probably where developers want to build today. Let the 20-30 story developments pop-up in downtown and leave the spaces along Fayetteville Street if there is no demand for them today.

wouldn't you know it, the person I referenced as qouting the mystery tower isn't on this site(SSC). Seems after further research, the mystery tower which still is not officially talked about seems to be an envisioned 20 story condo.

I hope this project sees the light of day for it would be a first for Raleigh having a condo that tall.

Archived