Downtown Raleigh Projects

I wonder if RBC would move into the Reynolds Project. I personally would prefer them there over Suntrust. I would really hate to see them abandon their Durham tower. I mean honestly, it was the CCB headquarters for God only knows how many years, I'm thinking 40-50 yrs, people take pride in that building, and for Suntrust to abandon it shortly after the takeover to move to a new building in a different city might leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time post.  just got off the phone with a buddy of mine at RBC Centura and he says there is talk that RBC will announce the move to DT Raleigh in the next month.  No word on location or building size though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope they move to DT Raleigh but I have talked to people in RBC and they have suggested Raleigh and Atlanta, with (what they say) Atlanta now in the lead due to it gives them a little more splash and a more noticeable presence of a home city. I think the biggest thing to worry about is there is some talk of RBC-USA to be sold as it is not even a regional bank and they have sold off pieces in the last year. But their financials are getting better. What kills me is 1st Citizen will not go downtown, so therefore I will not bank with them.

I did sort of think the same thing at first, but after thinking about it for a while longer, I've done an about-face and decided that this is the perfect place for a new skyscraper.

In your list of the surrounding properties, you forgot to mention the 20 story Clarion on the other side of Hillsborough, and the modern 5-story office building (forget what it's called) directly across Dawson. There's also plenty of open lots for more development, which will allow the neighborhood to grow up around it. The lot directly to the south of The Dawson comes to mind.

I agree that history is important, and I have nothing wrong with letting the historic houses (Second Empire, for one) stay there. But I do think that most anywhere in the CBD should be fair game for tall buildings. This site in particular will make the underdeveloped land between Harrington and Mcdowell much more more attractive. Imagine what Raleigh will look like 50 years from now. Do you think that this part of Hillsborough Street will stay just like it is, forever?

I hope that you won't oppose the Reynolds tower just because it's not exactly what you had envisioned for that lot. I would much rather have a large, mixed-use, well-designed tower right there, and soon, rather than let the outdated 301 Hillsborough building and its parking lot sit there for who knows how long. Remember how people have been talking about tying Glenwood South to Fayetteville Street and the rest of downtown? Well, Hillsborough Street is the corridor for the job, and this is the project that will get it off the ground!

If your only issue is that the building is too big, think about this: Are you overwhelmed by the Wachovia Capitol Center when you're walking down Fayetteville Street? Does it overpower the two and three story buildings that are right next door? Not in my opinion. Remember what Mr. Reynolds said when he was addressing city council: "You don't pay that much for a piece of land, and then put an 8 story building on it." He's right. There are two options for 301/309 Hillsborough: build big or build nothing. I choose the former.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the main argument for building tall there is it is only 2-3 blocks from the main TTA stop. To not build tall (IMHO) and support TTA is talking out of both sides of one's mouth......

The 20 story mystery tower I am refering to was mentioned by Raleigh-NC a few months ago and with no other details. If memory serves me right it was mentioned somewhere around the Coopers BBQ area. Raleigh-NC can you enlighten us more?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could be wrong but the building that was going to be built at that site was the 10-story Lichtin building that would house EDS, the company who does the medicaid billing for the state. If they got the bid, they were to hire 500 employees downtown and move to the new Harold Lichtin building. Also the libary was to be in the this building. Since EDS lost the bid, the building was cancelled, therefore the ST library is on hold. Maybe there is another building planned?

Archived