Wal-mart in Arkansas

Mith242

Nowadays it's not too hard to hear something about Wal-mart. It's also not too hard to hear something negative about Wal-mart either. Most companies tend to more negative views after they get 'too' successful. Almost like a sense to want to bring something down after it seems to be 'too' successful. While I do think I've heard some comments from other people from Arkansas from this board I wanted to get a more overall view. I do think there are some people who are proud of Wal-mart. That something so big and successful could actually come from a small poor state like ours. It's might surprise some people but there are quite a few people here in northwest Arkansas, in Wal-mart's backyard, who aren't too happy about them. That's not to say there isn't any people in northwest people, outside of employees, who don't like Wal-mart. But there do seem to be some areas of the state where most people seem to be rather happy and proud of Wal-mart. For years Pine Bluff had wanted a Supercenter to be built, opposed to the general outcry they tend to get in many other places. Other people's comments are welcome, but I was mainly wanting a perspective from other people in other areas of Arkansas.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nowadays it's not too hard to hear something about Wal-mart.  It's also not too hard to hear something negative about Wal-mart either.  Most companies tend to more negative views after they get 'too' successful.  Almost like a sense to want to bring something down after it seems to be 'too' successful.  While I do think I've heard some comments from other people from Arkansas from this board I wanted to get a more overall view.  I do think there are some people who are proud of Wal-mart.  That something so big and successful could actually come from a small poor state like ours.  It's might surprise some people but there are quite a few people here in northwest Arkansas, in Wal-mart's backyard, who aren't too happy about them.  That's not to say there isn't any people in northwest people, outside of employees, who don't like Wal-mart.  But there do seem to be some areas of the state where most people seem to be rather happy and proud of Wal-mart.  For years Pine Bluff had wanted a Supercenter to be built, opposed to the general outcry they tend to get in many other places.  Other people's comments are welcome, but I was mainly wanting a perspective from other people in other areas of Arkansas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well to me Wal-Mart was fine while Sam Walton was alive. He treated and compensated his workforce adequetely, treated his suppliers fairly, and was a good tough competitor, once he died things changed. The coporate types who took over after Sam turned Wal-Mart into a machine that is all about numbers and lowering costs by any means. Thats good to some degree in a competative market place, but when it comes at the cost of your workforce, your suppliers, and the communities you serve it can rapidly turn into a very bad thing. Esp. when a company like Wal-Mart continues to apply downward costs pressures even after it is by and far the most dominant competitor in its field.

Also, the way its tries to bully its way into communities who don't want it is something I don't think you would have ever seen under Sam.

As for it coming from Arkansas, I think thats a great thing for the state. Sam started it out is a state where people worked hard, made low wages, and lived day to day; the type of place in most need of competative low cost stores. I think its great that Arkansas can claim such a retail pioneer.

Well to me Wal-Mart was fine while Sam Walton was alive. He treated and compensated his workforce adequetely, treated his suppliers fairly, and was a good tough competitor, once he died things changed. The coporate types who took over after Sam turned Wal-Mart into a machine that is all about numbers and lowering costs by any means. Thats good to some degree in a competative market place, but when it comes at the cost of your workforce, your suppliers, and the communities you serve it can rapidly turn into a very bad thing. Esp. when a company like Wal-Mart continues to apply downward costs pressures even after it is by and far the most dominant competitor in its field.

Also, the way its tries to bully its way into communities who don't want it is something I don't think you would have ever seen under Sam.

As for it coming from Arkansas, I think thats a great thing for the state. Sam started it out is a state where people worked hard, made low wages, and lived day to day; the type of place in most need of competative low cost stores. I think its great that Arkansas can claim such a retail pioneer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is certainly true. There was a lot less criticism when Sam Walton was running things. Granted it wasn't quite a big back then either. But the company does seem a lot less personable since he died.

Archived