Pictures of Memphis

Fellowmann20

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real good shots. You show the city from a lot of different angles I haven't seen before.

Having a boat helps too!

Edit: In Pic no. 7 which shows the old columbian mutual tower building--when I was down in Memphis last month, I stayed at the Sleep Inn at Court Square right across from it. I looked out my window and saw some well-dressed gentlemen unlocking the chain across the front door to the place. I could see they were going on some sort of tour so I ran down to see if they'd let me in with my camera. Well, they wouldn't let me in for liability reasons, but had a long talk with one of the guys who said that the rehab of the building would begin this summer. We also talked about the downtown Memphis of yesteryear--dept. stores and so on. It turned out the guy I was talking to was Henry Turley--the guru of downtown developers.

@ sleepy - Those river shots were from a boat you think. I wondered, but figured it was from the bank with zoom which would distort the distance to some degree.

edit: well I guess they do since that one shot appears to be right off Mud Island. Nevermind. LOL

Very nice photos!! Showed off some nice density. Did you both take these shots, or just one of you?

Where did you take the pictures on the Arkansas side of the River? Was it easy to access?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Each of us took the pictures and the pictures that seem like they were from the Arkansas side of the river were actually taken on the riverboat Island Queen.

Also there are many more photos where these came from but we just picked the "cream of the crop." :)

Heres some more shots of Memphis, mainly of certain areas/ buildings, not exactly the whole skyline.

If you want to see a picture of a certain area or building ask us and we'll see if we have one.

100_0923.jpg

This is a pic of 201 Poplar (the city jail) and the church that the inmates go to on Sunday, lol! :rofl:

100_0753.jpg

This is a view looking towards Madison Avenue. Can you see the purple trolley on the Madison Avenue Line?

100_0758.jpg

And there is the majestic 100 N. Main Bldg, lol! :rofl:

100_0669.jpg

The Hernando Desoto Bridge, completed 1973.

100_0651.jpg

100_0652.jpg

This is a tower next to Forest Park near the Medical District.

100_0646.jpg

This is a view of the clock in the Peabody Place Mall. Notice the glass roof.

100_0495.jpg

This is a shot of the FedEx Forum over the buildings of Beale Street. Go Grizzlies! :D

100_0492.jpg

We thought this name was wierd. Located behind the Lincoln American Tower. :blink:

100_0385.jpg

Comments please.

Heres some more shots of Memphis, mainly of certain areas/ buildings, not exactly the whole skyline.

If you want to see a picture of a certain area or building ask us and we'll see if we have one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks again.

Do you have any pics of Annesdale or Central Gardens? I was down there last month trying to juggle having fun, visiting relatives, and taking pics, and didn't get too many shots of those areas.

Thanks again.

Do you have any pics of Annesdale or Central Gardens?  I was down there last month trying to juggle having fun, visiting relatives, and taking pics, and didn't get too many shots of those areas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Sleepy we can't help you there. :blush: We live in Memphis, but we have never heard of Annesdale or Central Gardens. If you give us more info on where it is we might be able to stop by and get some pics of it. :thumbsup:

Sorry Sleepy we can't help you there. :blush:  We live in Memphis, but  we have never heard of Annesdale or Central Gardens.  If you give us more info on where it is we might be able to stop by and get some pics of it. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm shocked you've never heard of Central Gardens. It's one of the wealthiest areas of Memphis--a streetcar suburb built in 1900. A large area-a couple square miles--between Peabody and Central and Cooper and Bellevue--in Midtown.

Annesdale's in the same area, but to the west of Bellevue, a spottier neighborhood, though with older, more interesting architecture.

Anyway, I've got some pics of Central Gardens:

45180786.jpg

45180782.jpg

45180785.jpg

45180776.jpg

45180778.jpg

Twins,

Annesdale is the old Snowden estate. It is one of a handful of antebellum homes in Memphis. The original grounds include the Annesdale-Snowden Historic Area. The house on Lamar at Bellevue. The house sits within a circular road. The house is Italianate Victorian with a 1900 addition. The Snowden family sent one of their sons to Harvard to study architecture. He built Ashlar Hall which is across Lamar in Central Gardens. The property was subdivided and and made into a streetcar suburb that is now Annesdale-Snowden. It is an early 20th century bungalow neighborhood.

Central Gardens is the section of Midtown that has Central Ave running directly through it. Largely late 19th and early 20th century homes. If you know where the old Peabody Library was, you know where Central Gardens is.

Archived