New sculpture on riverfront revealed

FluffyP13

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!!! I actually liked it!! I think because of the red, it really pops! Actually, the red is probably the ONLY reason why I like it.... Could be taller though.....

And it does look like a Roller Coaster :rofl: .... but oh well...

Paula

Well, nothing earthshaking--it looks nice, but nothing more.

My fear was, they'd go for earthshaking and end up with something really silly. I think there's a thin line between "inspired" and "insipid".

All in all, could've been better, but could've been much worse--an overall plus I'd say.

I'm going to tell myself I like it for now. It looks much like the sculpture you see in most large cities across the country, usually in front of their major buildings. There's always one like this. As long as we don't get crazy and start putting broken roller coasters all over town, then I can get used to this uniqueness. Actually, a bit of modernism in this city should complement the classical arts scattered about. Interpretation-wise, I see it as a testament to the industrial nature of the riverfront in downtown Nashville, a history of 200 years of change. Nashville is still like that. The new, slick, trendy entertainment, business and residential center blending with the older, established city. The Nashville of country music fame and with its often simple, everyday lyrics planted within a framework of a modern cosmopolitan city drenched in the creative endeavors of all forms of the arts and music. Yes, I think I do like it. No piece of art will be accepted by everyone, and it shouldn't. I'm sure we'll hear the negatives, the coaster jokes, and everything related to that. But to understand that cities like Chicago, New York, etc. take pride in building enormous buildings to house such "art" as a broom up against a wall, or plastic flowers painted black, or packs of dogs made out of moldy old newspapers, and let's not forget the Brooklyn museum and its Virgin Mary made out of very questionable material. it seems we're getting off pretty cheap...and very, very sensibly. So, if this is what it takes to convince us a bit more that we're brushing gently against the vision of sophistication, then so be it. Bring it on.

Art is created to make one think, and stir emotion. I like it. I think Nashville is ready to dump the guitar shaped scoreboards and really show what we have! With art programs at MTSU, Fisk, TSU and Watkins Institute, we have a lot of up and coming artists to contribute to Nashville's artistic landscape. I can't wait for more.

Well,

I for one was pleasently surprised!! It was alot nicer than I expected.... Like I said, the Red Color on it REALLY did it for me!

The roller coaster thing was funny because my 3 year old saw it online when I was looking at it and said, "Ooh!!! Mommy, I wanna ride that one!!". His first impression of it was that it was a roller coaster (we were at Six Flags St. Louis last week... hehehheehehehe). But I am happy for Nashville, this will be a nice addition.

Paula

I will wait and see. I was always hoping they would tear down those huge iron arms sticking out over the river. They are an eyesore. My first impression was that it looked like something they salvaged from Opryland. A roller coaster going nowhere. However it might look better than I expect. It will look good at night if, as they plan, to light it at night.

Archived