Hypothetical: FL's Capital Leaving Tallahassee

bic

Which city should become the new capital of Florida?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which city should become the new capital of Florida?

• Miami
    • Ft. Lauderdale
    • Tampa
    • St. Petersburg
    • Orlando
    • Jacksonville
    • Lakeland
    • St. Augustine

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Miami had a pretty good shot at running away with it too, but this looks like the result of a lot of forumers not wanting to cooperate and voting for their hometowns anyway. The percentages seem to be very closely related to the popularity of each city's sub-forum, with Jacksonville having the most, followed by Orlando, and Tampa/Miami being near equal and far behind. I sincerely doubt one-third of Floridians would choose Jacksonville to be the new capital over Miami, Tampa, and Orlando.

Seeing as how someone has pointed out Jacksonville's superior location over the other two cities (Miami and Tampa) with regard to both West (Pensacola) and South Florida its no wonder its leading the race at this point. From your initial suggestion, you made a point to note the larger the city the better, this may also be a running factor seeing as how Jacksonville is the state's largest city (consolidation factor aside, fact is fact). All in fun, this is interesting to watch! :D

Go Noles!! Tally should be the capital forever more.

If it HAD to move I would have no other choice than to suggest the greatest city with the most potential on the planet... J-Ville, of course!! Plus its still close to Tally. :thumbsup:

In my opinion, Orlando makes the most sense due to its centralized location. Its right smack in the middle of the state (the panhandle doesn't count). Miami is too far south, Jax is too far north.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Orlando seems like too much of a tourist town to be "capital worthy".

^The panhandle doesn't count!!! What a weak self-centered argument. We should be all inclusive here.

I think the reason he says the panhandle doesn't count is because it would skew the centralized location idea into the Gulf of Mexico.

BTW: My vote went to Jacksonville.

The population of the entire Florida Panhandle is only 1.22 million, whereas the entire state population is 17.02 million. One could make a solid argument against not giving 7.2% of the population equal weight against the rest of the state.

Last I checked Pensacola, Panama City, Destin, Marianna, and Tallahassee were all in Florida. Why should it matter what their population is?? Not every section of the state has high populations, should we now remove all regions whose population don't meet Orlando standards?

Last I checked Pensacola, Panama City, Destin, Marianna, and Tallahassee were all in Florida. Why should it matter what their population is?? Not every section of the state has high populations, should we now remove all regions whose population don't meet Orlando standards?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. As you were advocating Jacksonville to be the capital based on it being 6 near equidistant from Pensacola and Miami, I am pointing out that if you were to base the decision on the weight of Florida's population distribution, the capital would be shifted significantly away from the panhandle. I'm trying to consider both geography and demography in making my decision, rather than going with whichever one keeps the capital closest to Tallahasse.

This has nothing to do with Orlando other than that you hold some sort of childish vendetta against me for prior disagreements and the fact that the majority of my posts are in the Orlando forum (gee, I wonder why now). I even voted for Tampa despite saying that Miami is my favorite city in Florida...and would still choose to place the capital in either of those two cities before Orlando if given the chance.

Well Ironchapman's answer stopped my research short. But I came up with this instead. If you were to split the state into 3rds, by population you'd get this roughly.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/maps/florida_map.html

Here's a map so you can follow along.

South Florida would include Monroe, Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Collier, Lee and Hendry and have a population of 6.2 million.

Central Florida would include every thing north of that up to Pinellas, Hillsborough, Polk, Lake and Volusia and have a population of 6.7 million.

North Florida would be everything north and west of that and have a population of 4.1 million.

I could have tweaked it to even out a little better I suppose but wanted to keep it thematic.

Exactly. As you were advocating Jacksonville to be the capital based on it being 6 near equidistant from Pensacola and Miami, I am pointing out that if you were to base the decision on the weight of Florida's population distribution, the capital would be shifted significantly away from the panhandle. I'm trying to consider both geography and demography in making my decision, rather than going with whichever one keeps the capital closest to Tallahassee.

This has nothing to do with Orlando other than that you hold some sort of childish vendetta against me for prior disagreements and the fact that the majority of my posts are in the Orlando forum (gee, I wonder why now). I even voted for Tampa despite saying that Miami is my favorite city in Florida...and would still choose to place the capital in either of those two cities before Orlando if given the chance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bic... buddy :D you really are a character! By golly, I didn't even notice your post percentage for Orlando, wow its high! My point was not to steer the capital closer to Tallahassee, we've already determined in the hypothetical situation that my city is virtually non-existent. All I was trying to note is the fact that population shouldn't be the only deciding factor in choosing a state capital, and no area of Florida should be treated as a "step child" even if its washed in the tides of yesterday.

There's no childish vendetta against you, or Orlando. I don't know you well enough to waste my time bashing you, and I've had too much fun in Orlando to disrespect it in any way.

Why don't we wipe things clean, and just have a nice discussion. OK? :thumbsup:

Archived