Brunswick, GA: Massive development planned

bobliocatt

Cleveland, Ohio-based, WW Group Holdings has announced plans to redeveloping downtown Brunswick's waterfront into an urban mixed-use project containing 1,000 residences, a hotel and club complex and a public access marina.

The development's New Urbanism style will combine residential dwellings with retail and commercial sites in a village setting that is pedestrian friendly. Residences will include luxury condominiums, townhomes and single-family cottages, Thompson said. The town center will include retail shops, restaurants and an entertainment pavilion along with an expansive riverfront park and boardwalk.

Plans for waterfront development unveiled

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed...I heard the city has not been doing to well in keeping its population.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know a family who moved away from Brunswick. When I asked them why they relocated to Atlanta their response was "Brunswick is dead." I guess for young families with mouths to feed it's hard to make a living unless you work at the shipyard. Their economy is not very diverse. They are however near some very prime coastal property. With the correct vision they could really capitalize on this. Like Viper said, if they give it a real urbanist flair coupled with a coastal flair, I'm sure it can be a hit.

Besides, Governor Perdue has been trying to jump start that part of the state for some while now. Hopefully they will be able to do something with all that acerage they have near Pooler, GA.

sidebar: I prefer Camden County though. Cumberland Island is so tranquil. :wub:

No, its got enough local industrial and port jobs for a significant portion of its citizens to stay in town, thus it would never meet commuting standards for an MSA. However, the majority of growth in that area and Camden County, to the south, is being driven by the Jacksonville market and the Kings Bay Submarine base.

That's a shame.  All the concept work I've seen of Steamboat City made it look like it would be a very fun place to visit...something different from Six Flags and Wild Adventures.  Too bad it seems to have stalled out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently its still in the works, don't expect to see dirt turned anytime soon.

No, its got enough local industrial and port jobs for a significant portion of its citizens to stay in town, thus it would never meet commuting standards for an MSA.  However, the majority of growth in that area and Camden County, to the south, is being driven by the Jacksonville market and the Kings Bay Submarine base.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Growth in Brunswick is being driven by Jacksonville? Thats a bit of a stretch don't you think. If that were the case it would be a part of Jacksonville's CSA at least.

• 4 months later...

This is incredible. I agree, Brunswick has so much potential. Coastal Georgia is a true gem waiting to be discovered. Its a prime coastal area with subtropical temps and beautiful scenery. The area also is very unlikely to get hit by hurricanes either...since coastal Georgia dips in very far westward and they either hit Florida or the Carolinas.

• 1 month later...

Brunswick renewal poised for takeoff-AJC

image_2151533.jpg

image_2151541.jpg

"The sleepy seaside city of Brunswick could get a dramatic new skyline and a major boost to its economy if a development featuring up to 2,000 condo units, a Hyatt Hotel, shops and a marina for 1,400 boats is built as planned.

Brunswick, a town best known for traffic lights that delay vacationers heading to the Golden Isles of St. Simons, Sea and Jekyll, might transform into a trendy getaway for folks who can afford a holiday home ranging from $350,000 to more than $1 million."

What a massive project. This could really put Brunswick on the map and that would be no small feat.

Some concerns: I wonder how well it blends in with the city? Will this be a gated-off fortress looming over the town or a nice enhancement? I hope it the latter. Also, the design is a little monotonous--6 identical high rises evenly spaced out---not terribly imaginative but there isn't a lot of room to work with.

Archived