Brunswick, GA: Massive development planned

bobliocatt

What a massive project. This could really put Brunswick on the map and that would be no small feat.

Some concerns: I wonder how well it blends in with the city? Will this be a gated-off fortress looming over the town or a nice enhancement? I hope it the latter. Also, the design is a little monotonous--6 identical high rises evenly spaced out---not terribly imaginative but there isn't a lot of room to work with.

I think thats is the key question. If this development is not segregated from the rest of the city, it coudl prove extremely beneficial. If it is, then the impact will still exist, but I think it would be somewhat mitigated from what it should be.

• 5 months later...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last month I noticed that the Liberty Harbor sales center opened. I didn't stop in but I will next time I'm there. There are two very different site plans for this development, one with a central lake and another with many smaller lakes. Both have large buildings but the buildings are also very different in each plan. Which one is being built?

Next door, on the downtown side another large development is planned. Brunswick is about to blow up!

Also on Saint Simons Island there is so much new development. Every time I

• 4 months later...

$2B Mixed Use Ready to Start Construction

By Natalie Keith

GlobeSt.com

BRUNSWICK, GA-With demolition of existing structures on the site complete, developers Liberty Harbor LLC is ready to begin construction in the 110-acre, $2 billion development.

Gary Waxman, WW Holdings' president, tells GlobeSt.com that residential construction is expected to start within 30 to 45 days. Delivery is planned for 2008. Liberty Harbor will consist of2,200 condominiums, 300,000 sf of retail space, a 400-key hotel and 450-wet slip marina and yacht club. In early 2006, 242 single-family home sites were added to the plan, Waxman says. Higher density and increased construction costs have boosted the development's value since it was first announced in September 2005.

At a sales event over the summer, more than 300 condominium and single-family lots were sold. Prices ranged from $275,000 to just under $2 million. Waxman says 40% of the buyers were from Florida. "There's no question that there is huge pent-up demand in South Georgia," he says. "Floridians are attracted to the area because of the lack of hurricanes and the lifestyle the development will offer.

Awesome, looks like it will have 2, 20 story condo buildings, 1, 20 story condo/hotel, 5, 10 story condo buildings and 1, 6 story condo building. Plus 300,000sq. ft of retail, numerous single family homes, pools, sports, marina, etc etc. Its going to surely put Brunswick on the map.

I think the first phase of the project is ready to go up, the 6 floor and one of the 10 floor condos, and some of the Single Family homes. The article said the developer is talking with Hyatt hotels for the hotel portion but might not pursue it, since the project lends itself to a more upscale name. Maybe a Ritz Carlton or something on the lines of that>?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Site work is well underway with the lakes now taking shape, minus the water. The sign on the property (as of May 07) now says Phase One Sold Out! Now Selling Phase Two home sites. Local Brunswick rumor has it that the project had been delayed and almost filed for bankruptcy due to funding issues from investors. They supposedly have new investors but I can't confirm if this is just a rumor or not. Still thought that I would put it out there that there was a delay but things seem to be back on track.

Looks like Brunswick will need to be added to the list of Georgia cities.

• 1 month later...
Seems like I read the developers were being sued by somebody....not sure who or why. I can only imagine how much this will change Brunswick when it is 100% complete. It will be Georgias second best skyline (outside metro ATL) by far!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I went by the project two months ago and got excited to see dirt moving and the lakes taking shape. I just went by again yesterday and was very discouraged to see that nothing else had been done. The sign says that phase one is sold out and now selling phase two. The sign has been there for a while now and still nothing. So does anyone know what is going on???

• 1 month later...

We just finished a virtual tour of Liberty Harbor - it has not been updated to the current version on their site yet - should be next week.

In the interim you can see it on ours by going here - the only difference being they want to use the same song on their website, and we played with two other versions that you can see on ours

http://www.2dimes.com/images/portfolio/lib...0&width=720

I went by LH today (10/08/07) and my report from 08/06/07 is the same; they're just moving dirt. Am I being impatient or is it taking forever for something real to happen. The graphics look great but they now seem like the types to do a lot of hype, get a lot of elderly to buy up units and then skip town. I also notice that they changed, or rather cheapened the taller buildings, architectural. So far I'm not impressed. Savannah

I went by LH today (10/08/07) and my report from 08/06/07 is the same; they're just moving dirt. Am I being impatient or is it taking forever for something real to happen. The graphics look great but they now seem like the types to do a lot of hype, get a lot of elderly to buy up units and then skip town. I also notice that they changed, or rather cheapened the taller buildings, architectural. So far I'm not impressed. Savannah

• 4 months later...

A GlobeSt.com article says that the marina has recieved final approval and work is about to begin on that part of the project.

The superstructure for the residential portion of the project, including roads, gutters and sewers, is nearly complete. Work on some of the single-family homes will begin in the next month or two with work on the condominiums expected to begin in the summer, Waxman says.

• 2 months later...

I'm happy to announce that a house is almost finished in Liberty Harbor. And yes I mean 'a' house, as in one structure. OK enough bitterness! On to the good stuff. It's an amazing home! I will be able to report more on the regular for Brunswick projects due to moving to the city in August. Atlanta is and always will be my home but I need to take care of my folks and therefore will be reporting from the coast come this winter.

Archived