Theres a building im curious about

snoogit

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it the red brick building with limestone accents? If so, that is another building "cared for" by Azzar. It used to be a furniture exhibition building back in the day (it is called the Keeler Building, I assume named after the same family as Keeler Brass?).

Joe

Its off of Division and Franklin, across from the old Telephone building, Ive seen signs advertising its availability on the market for a long time, and im just wondering what the status of that building is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it the red brick building with limestone accents? If so, that is another building "cared for" by Azzar. It used to be a furniture exhibition building back in the day (it is called the Keeler Building, I assume named after the same family as Keeler Brass?).

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it is the Keeler Building (corner of Division and Fountain), and was built in 1914 by Keeler Brass to showcase their furniture hardware:

http://www.keelerbrass.com/history.html

(Not the building in the photo)

It sits vacant (from what I understand) because there is no on-site parking, or nearby parking. Which is why the owner wanted to have the old City Centre ramp rebuilt as a ramp to serve that area :wacko: I think Nitro may know more about the building's potential.

Ahhh yes thats the one, thanks for your input, now I know, and I'm glad :D

There is a parking lot not two blocks from the site I believe, and there is a parking site across the street too Last time I was down there it was tore up, so I dont know the details.)

Yes, it is the Keeler Building (corner of Division and Fountain), and was built in 1914 by Keeler Brass to showcase their furniture hardware:

It sits vacant (from what I understand) because there is no on-site parking, or nearby parking.  Which is why the owner wanted to have the old City Centre ramp rebuilt as a ramp to serve that area  :wacko:  I think Nitro may know more about the building's potential.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you actually caught a snapshot of the building in question in another post, so atleast I knind of know what im talking about :P

It sits vacant (from what I understand) because there is no on-site parking, or nearby parking.  Which is why the owner wanted to have the old City Centre ramp rebuilt as a ramp to serve that area  :wacko:  I think Nitro may know more about the building's potential.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you actually caught a snapshot of the building in question in another post, so at least I kind of know what im talking about :P

The Photo in question

Related to this topic, what is Second Story planning to do about parking for the new Fitzgerald (YMCA) project. The only parking around there is metered or at GRCC. I am not a fan of adding more ramps, but why don't they build a ramp on the surface lot across from the Civic Theatre, that could service the Keeler Building, the planned renovated Civic Theatre residents, the Fitzgerald, and maybe even the building for sale on Monroe Center that we talked about a while ago owned by Azzar. They could put retail on the first floor of the ramp, that would help spur retail in the first floor of Keeler. That would make for a nice pedestrian friendly neighborhood up Monroe Center, North on Division to Fountain, West on Fountain to Ottawa, and back to Monroe Center.

Just a thought ;)

Related to this topic, what is Second Story planning to do about parking for the new Fitzgerald (YMCA) project.  The only parking around there is metered or at GRCC.  I am not a fan of adding more ramps, but why don't they build a ramp on the surface lot across from the Civic Theatre, that could service the Keeler Building, the planned renovated Civic Theatre residents, the Fitzgerald, and maybe even the building for sale on Monroe Center that we talked about a while ago owned by Azzar.  They could put retail on the first floor of the ramp, that would help spur retail in the first floor of Keeler.  That would make for a nice pedestrian friendly neighborhood up Monroe Center, North on Division to Fountain, West on Fountain to Ottawa, and back to Monroe Center. 

Just a thought ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THere is a ramp on Ottawa and Pearl I believe, that isnt that far away, heck I used to walk to school from that ramp, its not that far.

THere is a ramp on Ottawa and Pearl I believe, that isnt that far away, heck I used to walk to school from that ramp, its not that far.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had forgotten I had that pic ;) I should add a better one to my collection. I know for a fact that the biggest obstacle to getting the Keeler back to its glory is a lack of parking. It is hard to change people's mindsets that quickly. If you are an office user, you know that most of your employees will have to come in from the burbs. I know a lot of downtown employers offer free parking in their hiring process (from my own experience) to entice people.

Anyway, I see that lot across from the Civic with weeds growing and it being 1/2 full and scratch my head :huh:

Related to this topic, what is Second Story planning to do about parking for the new Fitzgerald (YMCA) project.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are going to put parking in the building where the pool now is. They have an agreement with the YMCA that they will not offer any services that would duplicate what the YMCA offers.

They are going to put parking in the building where the pool now is.  They have an agreement with the YMCA that they will not offer any services that would duplicate what the YMCA offers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That makes sense.

Archived