The South's next rising star(s)

krazeeboi

Ah Yes, American Idol which talked about Greensboro's small town charm, not exactly a flattering label for a municipality wanting to be taken seriously as a metropolitan area!

I recall hearing them say that. Of course, coming from places like New York and Los Angeles, I can see them considering Greensboro a "small town," but the city's population isn't "small town." I actually thought Greensboro lost a golden opportunity to showcase themselves as a thriving city, since Idol misrepresented them.

• 4 weeks later...

Not exactly what I said.

I said Baton Rouge is putting itself on the map lately. The two highrises are only part of the boom occurring in Baton Rouge.

What's the rest? Are there connected urban neighborhoods near downtown, new businesses, parks, or something most people don't know about this city. Has the growth mainly been influenced by Katrina spillage or has the city taken its own initiative at attracting new projects?

What's the rest? Are there connected urban neighborhoods near downtown, new businesses, parks, or something most people don't know about this city. Has the growth mainly been influenced by Katrina spillage or has the city taken its own initiative at attracting new projects?

I don't live there. Maybe read the Baton Rouge subforum.

Has the growth mainly been influenced by Katrina spillage or has the city taken its own initiative at attracting new projects?

In terms of population, most of the people that evacuated to, and stayed in Baton Rouge after Katrina are back in New Orleans. Though Katrina has helped some projects grow and get off the ground, it seems like Baton Rouge is trying to create it's own image. There is a 30 story condo tower planned for downtown, though I don't know where this project stands in terms of construction, as construction has already been pushed back once. Most of the new development seems to be occuring in the suburbs, and most of that development seems to be new neighborhoods and interstate related developments such as smaller hotels. There have been plans to revitalize and completely renew the Baton Rouge riverfront, but I haven't heard anything about it actually happening.

Thanks for the imput on Baton Rouge.

I think definitely think Baton Rouge would qualify as a "Southern Rising Star".

*Downtown Baton Rouge has been experiencing a rebirth. Where do I start.....

The final two state buildings were completed this past Summer; an additional 2,000 workers. This is part of the new consolidated Capitol Park Complex of many new buildings and new state museum. Been said to be most impressive campus complex in U.S.

The Shaw Center for the Arts(made international award for Top 10 new buildings 2005)in an emerging cultural district. A new proposed entertainment district is in the works. The RiverCenter will have another expansion. Several loft living projects on Third Street. A proposed Riverfront Master Plan; As well as a dramatically improved skyline.

> The historic 293-room Capital House in downtown(near Shaw Art Ctr) was renovated(completed in Sept.) after being shut down in 1985.

A HUGE redevelopment project as started for the blighted Old South BR between downtown and LSU.

A "Serious" housing boom around LSU.

BRCC(late 90's) in Mid City was one of the fastest growing two-year schools in the nation. That area has been coming back too; Westmoreland shopping center will be developmed into a massive mixed-use development.

An emerging technology sector La.Technology Park(largest between Houston & Atlanta)/Bonne Carre Business Center and LSU.

The world renowned Pennington Biomedical Research Center; and a emerging medical corridor.

Upscale new Towne Center at Cedar Lodge (in geographic center of BR)

Several large TND's. BR was slow to get on board; but now going crazy with it. Alot more "in-fil" than most realize.

A new Hollywood sized movie studio starting in early 07'; Celtic Media Center(near Airline/I-12)

In the southeast section of Bluebonnet Blvd.;Mall of La. expansion, Perkins Rowe(Urban Village); and a 13-story 300-room hotel

At least 7 more hotels starting or in the works.

Surface streets being 5-laned across the city.

Hope this helps. Baton Rouge was/is an overgrown counrty town now becoming a legit mid-sized city.

Edited by richyb83

Thanks for the imput on Baton Rouge.

I think definitely think Baton Rouge would qualify as a "Southern Rising Star".

*Downtown Baton Rouge has been experiencing a rebirth. Where do I start.....

The final two state buildings were completed this past Summer; an additional 2,000 workers. This is part of the new consolidated Capitol Park Complex of many new buildings and new state museum. Been said to be most impressive campus complex in U.S.

The Shaw Center for the Arts(made international award for Top 10 new buildings 2005)in an emerging cultural district. A new proposed entertainment district is in the works. The RiverCenter will have another expansion. Several loft living projects on Third Street. A proposed Riverfront Master Plan; As well as a dramatically improved skyline.

> The historic 293-room Capital House in downtown(near Shaw Art Ctr) was renovated(completed in Sept.) after being shut down in 1985.

A HUGE redevelopment project as started for the blighted Old South BR between downtown and LSU.

A "Serious" housing boom around LSU.

BRCC(late 90's) in Mid City was one of the fastest growing two-year schools in the nation. That area has been coming back too; Westmoreland shopping center will be developmed into a massive mixed-use development.

An emerging technology sector La.Technology Park(largest between Houston & Atlanta)/Bonne Carre Business Center and LSU.

The world renowned Pennington Biomedical Research Center; and a emerging medical corridor.

Upscale new Towne Center at Cedar Lodge (in geographic center of BR)

Several large TND's. BR was slow to get on board; but now going crazy with it. Alot more "in-fil" than most realize.

A new Hollywood sized movie studio starting in early 07'; Celtic Media Center(near Airline/I-12)

In the southeast section of Bluebonnet Blvd.;Mall of La. expansion, Perkins Rowe(Urban Village); and a 13-story 300-room hotel

At least 7 more hotels starting or in the works.

Surface streets being 5-laned across the city.

Hope this helps. Baton Rouge was/is an overgrown counrty town now becoming a legit mid-sized city.

Baton Rouge really is a wonder to behold. And contrary to popular belief, Katrina didn't start the boom. It's been in a boom since around 2002 (and a moderate boom since 1994).

• 2 weeks later...

Orlando is the next big thing outside of Miami and Atlanta. Just wait I give it 10 years.

While I like several FLA cities, I feel "if" we get increased hurricanes from global warming, insurance companies make homeowner's policies unavailable or practically unattainable, and the current exodus of Floridians to SC,GA,NC, and VA continues that Florida will not be as populous or desirable of a location that it is today. I guess we'll see in the next 10 yrs or so.

While I like several FLA cities, I feel "if" we get increased hurricanes from global warming, insurance companies make homeowner's policies unavailable or practically unattainable, and the current exodus of Floridians to SC,GA,NC, and VA continues that Florida will not be as populous or desirable of a location that it is today. I guess we'll see in the next 10 yrs or so.

The exodus, which is called overflow I believe, will greatly help out states such as GA, SC, and NC.

Actually, Florida population was predicted continue to rise and Orlando area will have about 7 to 8 millions residents by 2050 (same as San Fran now). Presently, Orlando metro has 1.9 mil. Hence myregion.org was created to involve all central florida counties to develop growth pattern. Hopefully drastic change will occur and direct the development pattern toward centralized location instead of pocket full of sprawling townships.

"Florida is expected to replace New York as the third most populous state by 2020. Currently, almost 7 million people, or about 49% of Florida’s total population, reside in South Florida. The region’s population is expected to reach approximately 12 million by the year 2050. Currently, almost 85% of South Florida’s population resides in urban areas."

Bonnie Kranzer, Ph.D., Lead Planner, South Florida Water Management District

It's really simple for my folks in Florida. If you moved down here (esp. snowbirds) and expected to retire with peace and quietness. Then you chose the wrong state. I hate when I hear people complain about the growth and it's changing to much. You can't stop growth and if you don't like it move to New Mexico, Montana, or South Dakota.

Actually, Florida population was predicted continue to rise and Orlando area will have about 7 to 8 millions residents by 2050 (same as San Fran now). Presently, Orlando metro has 1.9 mil. Hence myregion.org was created to involve all central florida counties to develop growth pattern. Hopefully drastic change will occur and direct the development pattern toward centralized location instead of pocket full of sprawling townships.

It's great to see central Florida taking a regional approach towards managing its ever-increasing growth. This will benefit the larger cities as well as the smaller towns, which always have the potential to become bedroom communities or exurbs.