The South's next rising star(s)

krazeeboi

1.Mobile...Miami, the gulf coast of Mississippi, and now New Orleans are home to many cruise ships...IMO Mobile is next on the list..and tourism can bring alot of growth to a city

2. Birmingham... great city with plenty of things to do, almost 1.1 million in metro and it continues to grow..and if the buildings that blazer85 is describing are built, it will only add to the beauty.

^^Alabama has a VERY bright future ahead of them...

Baton Rouge.... it has city population is about 225,000(growing slowly) and the metro is around 750,000(growth has gone up) and the port is growing in tonnage of goods every year and unlike New Orleans, Baton Rouge is not below see level or surrounded by water, allowing for easier development of land.There are now plans to build a 35-45 story condo tower and a 30-40 story office tower in downtown. and a 32 story mixed use tower has already been approved.

BR is often overshadowed by New Orleans, but it really is a beautiful city(in most areas) and the history of the entire area is great.

i would also say Knoxville...very beautiful city and seems to be growing rapidly.

Little Rock...not much about Little Rock on this forum..but it is a very nice city and seems to be growing at a steady pace

2. Birmingham... great city with plenty of things to do, almost 1.1 million in metro and it continues to grow..and if the buildings that blazer85 is describing are built, it will only add to the beauty.

And since I told you about those buildings, there are minor rumblings that an 800ft tower COULD be in Birmingham's future.

I would say Orlando is a city that is really starting to grow up and is going to be one of the nation's hottest spots to move to within the next few years. There is a lot of great development going on downtown that should basically transform the skyline by 2009 or so.

I'd have to say,.....

1. Winston Salem- High Point- Greensboro

2. Birmingham

3. Columbia, SC

I would say Orlando too, although the city's core has grown by leaps and bounds, I just feel with in the last 30 or so years it has been recognized as a well established city because everyone 200 miles outside of Orange County thinks Disney is in Orlando proper.

Edited by 95-Souf

I'd have to say,.....

1.  Winston Salem- High Point- Greensboro

2.  Birmingham

3.  Columbia, SC

I would say Orlando too, although the city's core has grown by leaps and bounds, I just feel with in the last 30 or so years it has been recognized as a well established city because everyone 200 miles outside of Orange County thinks Disney is in Orlando proper.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree with your last comment. In the past, Disney was the only thing to bring any National/Internation exposure to Orlando. Yes, Orlando is considered by many outside of Florida to already be a major city, but I think it's becoming a rising star only very recently.

With the arrival of higher end hotels, upscale shopping districts, more culture, and higher wage jobs; not to mention Orlando Int'l Airport reaching the status of the largest (by passenger arrival) in the State, I think Orlando is now finally to achieve a more "grown up" image. I'm glad to say the CITIZENS of Orlando are making this happen...not the tourists (but their MONEY helps!) :P

Memphis--a whole lot of money is being invested in a biomedical research park--it's an up-and-coming changing industry and memphis already has a good foothold in it and looking to expand. also, Fedex is always looking good. there's good growth downtown, in the suburbs of lakeland, bartlett, marion, germantown, and fayette and tipton counties; and great growth in collierville, arlington, and desoto county. new interstate projects should also boost the city. memphis is one of those cities that dips in and out of the national spotlight (and not always for good reasons), but i think it's on tap for realizing its potential finally.

now if we can just do something about the crime and budget deficits and get the citizens, media, and politicians focused about important issues and about making memphis better rather than being concerned about sensationalist park-renaming, big headed politicians, juvenile attitudes from government officials and Tennessee Waltz....

i also agree that birmingham is going places

and any city in north carolina and florida

Memphis--a whole lot of money is being invested in a biomedical research park--it's an up-and-coming changing industry and memphis already has a good foothold in it and looking to expand.  also, Fedex is always looking good.  there's good growth downtown, in the suburbs of lakeland, bartlett, marion, germantown, and fayette and tipton counties; and great growth in collierville, arlington, and desoto county.  new interstate projects should also boost the city.  memphis is one of those cities that dips in and out of the national spotlight (and not always for good reasons), but i think it's on tap for realizing its potential finally.

now if we can just do something about the crime and budget deficits and get the citizens, media, and politicians focused about important issues and about making memphis better rather than being concerned about sensationalist park-renaming, big headed politicians, juvenile attitudes from government officials and Tennessee Waltz....

i also agree that birmingham is going places

and any city in north carolina and florida

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Memphis is my pick also. The city has so much unrealized potential. Louisville and Birmingham also are up and comers.

Doesn't seem like Knoxville has been making too much noise lately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Knoxville has been making a lot of noise, but there are not many Knoxvillians on UrbanPlanet! We need better representation. Even the Tennessee subforum misses out Knoxville in it's discription.

I would agree with Memphis and Knoxville. Memphis I think is regaining its status in the whole scheme of things, while Knoxville is just emerging as a bigger player on the regional scene.

Little Rock I think will see big things in the future and I think it will perhaps the best potential to see its profile rise.

Jackson, MS is someplace that if the trend of the last few years continues could see a huge improvement its position among other cities in the South. I would still say its a darkhorse though.

Knoxville has been making a lot of noise, but there are not many Knoxvillians on UrbanPlanet!  We need better representation.  Even the Tennessee subforum misses out Knoxville in it's discription.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I mean here on the forums. Seems like Nashville (and to a lesser extent, Memphis) wants to do all the shining in Tennessee. :P

Yeah, I would say that's true. I'd love to learn what's goin on in my own state. I'm just not very good at the digging.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Tennessee always had those 3 Grand Divisions, and most Tennesseans in each one were more interested in what was going on in their neck of the woods-- and surrounding states--rather than what was going on in Tennessee overall.

I had a friend who grew up in Jackson MS 200 miles south of Memphis and his parents got home delivery of the Memphis newspaper. To buy the Memphis paper east of the Tennessee River, I think you'd have to look long and hard.

Each area just goes its merry little way.

I grew up in Memphis and was probably 16 or so before I ever went to Nashville or Knoxville, even though I'd been to Jackson MS, Little Rock, St. Louis, and New Orleans a bunch of times.

Edited by sleepy

I live in Nashville, and have not once been West of the Tennesse River (in our state, of course. I've been many other places.). I have only been to Chattanooga once, never been to Knoxville, only driven through it or gone to Gatlinburg, which is it's own little fourth neck of the woods. Like you said, our three grand divisions are truly divisions. Not much crosses between those except I-40.

Yeah, Tennessee always had those 3 Grand Divisions, and most Tennesseans in each one were more interested in what was going on in their neck of the woods-- and surrounding states--rather than what was going on in Tennessee overall.

I had a friend who grew up in Jackson MS 200 miles south of Memphis and his parents got home delivery of the Memphis newspaper.  To buy the Memphis paper east of the Tennessee River, I think you'd have to look long and hard.

Each area just goes its merry little way.

I grew up in Memphis and was probably 16 or so before I ever went to Nashville or Knoxville, even though I'd been to Jackson MS, Little Rock, St. Louis, and New Orleans a bunch of times.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have travled to those other divisions and lived to talk about it, despite being a West Tennessean - had to keep that info on the lowdown in the East (j/k). ;):D LOL

Only part of the state I have not been to the is the Tri-City area, although I traveled through it once on the way to Washington, D.C., that doesn't really count though.

As for the Commerical Appeal going east of the Tennessee River, nope, thats Tennessean country...despite the fact I can get the Sunday Edition of the Tennessean in Paris and Martin in West Tennessee. You won't see a Commercial Appeal stand of any sort outside West Tennessee unless its in Legislative Plaza in Nashville, at least that I know of.

For us non-Tennesseans, what is the Tri-City area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Tri-Cities is the combination of Kingsport, Johnson City, and Bristol, TN/VA

Kingsport is largly known for Eastman/Kodak which is by far the largest employer in the area (and in east TN). Johnson city has the campus of ETSU, and Bristol (the most pleasent of the three) is somwhat famous for is Nascar motor speedway. I'm not sure what the metro population is for this area, but I have heard is either 5th or 6th in the state in terms of size.

Regarding Knoxville, there are a lot of exciting projects going on here, and the speed they are building office parks and neighborhoods in astounding. I am planning on doing a photo study of downtown renovations as well as the new Turkey Creek development in West Knoxville (a pretty incredible development)

For us non-Tennesseans, what is the Tri-City area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Specifically, the TRI Cities Area is anchored by Johnson City (55.4k, 2000 pop), Kingsport (44.9k), Bristol TN (24.8k) and Bristol, VA (17.4k). The total metro area in 2000 was 480,091 putting it in the top 100 in the country. It was later broken up into Johnson City (180k) and Kingsport/Bristol (300k).

Johnson City has one 10 story building with a 10 story condo proposed. Bristol TN/VA has at least three at 10+ story buildiings. Kingsport is kinda flat. I have some pictures, but haven't learned how to post them yet.

It is a surprisingly large metro area, but because there is no one large central city, some of the amenities you might expect, such as performing arts centers, large arenas, are not there. However, if you like sports, the Appy League has a rookie league team in each town. And did I mention there is a NASCAR race or two? There is also a decent airport, considering.

The area was one of the more depressed areas in the first half of the 20th Century and was a large part of the focus of the war on poverty. The area is now much more prosperous and growing and has a lot of great restaurants and fine hotels. However, there are no traffic jams (except on race days), nor smog and the crime rate does not seem to be high.

It is beautiful as it rests in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains where some reach over 6000'. There are plenty of outdoor activities including skiing (my ETSU daughter's favorite) just over the mountain in North Carolina.

It is a hidden gem with its beautiful environment and moderate climate. Take a side trip through there sometime. You would be delighted and surprised.

While we're in the rising stars thread, and we're talking about the Tri-Cities area, would anyone here consider it to be a rising star? I guess you could say that it's one the way to becoming a Hampton Roads-like city, but that might be a ways off. I would still say that it's a rising star. What about anyone else?

While we're in the rising stars thread, and we're talking about the Tri-Cities area, would anyone here consider it to be a rising star? I guess you could say that it's one the way to becoming a Hampton Roads-like city, but that might be a ways off. I would still say that it's a rising star. What about anyone else?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say the Tri Cities is not a rising star because it's not really growing, and here in knoxville, I meet people from there all the time (seems they move here to find work).

I would definately consider Knoxville, Nashville, Asheville, and Chatanooga rising stars though!