The South's next rising star(s)

krazeeboi

it's Eastman Kodak, not Eastman/Kodak

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually, I believe it's Eastman Chemical (another Fortune 500 company) which is based in Kingsport, TN. I think Eastman Kodak is based somewhere in New York. It was spun off of Eastman-Kodak though.

Edited by qwertycc

If it can be agreed that Charlotte and the Raleigh-Durham area are already stars in terms of growth, economic vitality/base, etc., other North Carolina cities are in a strong position to feed off of the attractiveness of the state in terms of business activity and visibility for the state. Winston-Salem and Greensboro are the most likely to be the next stars from NC. They have a metro population roughly equivalent to Raleigh-Durham and Winston-Salem is moving in the right direction to diversify its economy. In addition to the Triad, Memphis is poised for a renaissance and perhaps already in the beginning stages of reclaiming its cultural vitality. Other cities with particularly bright futures are Charleston and Asheville as a lot of NYers and New Englanders are retiring to the South. I would like to see Chattanooga which is doing some great things with green architecture and sustainable planning take a lead in developing sustainable technology and thereby boosting its economy.

• 1 year later...

Specifically, the TRI Cities Area is anchored by Johnson City (55.4k, 2000 pop), Kingsport (44.9k), Bristol TN (24.8k) and Bristol, VA (17.4k). The total metro area in 2000 was 480,091 putting it in the top 100 in the country. It was later broken up into Johnson City (180k) and Kingsport/Bristol (300k).

Johnson City has one 10 story building with a 10 story condo proposed. Bristol TN/VA has at least three at 10+ story buildiings. Kingsport is kinda flat. I have some pictures, but haven't learned how to post them yet.

[b]It is a surprisingly large metro area, but because there is no one large central city, some of the amenities you might expect, such as performing arts centers, large arenas, are not there. However, if you like sports, the Appy League has a rookie league team in each town. And did I mention there is a NASCAR race or two? There is also a decent airport, considering.

The area was one of the more depressed areas in the first half of the 20th Century and was a large part of the focus of the war on poverty. The area is now much more prosperous and growing and has a lot of great restaurants and fine hotels. However, there are no traffic jams (except on race days), nor smog and the crime rate does not seem to be high.

It is beautiful as it rests in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains where some reach over 6000'. There are plenty of outdoor activities including skiing (my ETSU daughter's favorite) just over the mountain in North Carolina.

It is a hidden gem with its beautiful environment and moderate climate. Take a side trip through there sometime. You would be delighted and surprised.

I have read where you have stated this before in another thread...I wanted to share some light on that:

Yes, there is no central city but each city has a lot to offer in art/theatre:

Barter Theatre (Abingdon, State Theatre of VA, oldest cont. ran theatre in the U.S.)

Virginia Highlands Communtiy College, Arts Array, Abingdon

William King Regional Arts Center, Abingdon (only AAM accredited museum in Southwestern Va/N.East TN)

Viking Hall Civic Center, Bristol (a popular entertainment facility, also plays host to a diversity of entertainment options. seats -- 6600)

Ballet Arts Academy, Bristol

Bristol Ballet Company, Bristol

Dance Theatre Suitcase, Bristol

Paramount Center for the Arts, Bristol (hist. Paramount theatre)

Theatre Bristol, Bristol

Virginia Intermont College Fine Arts Center, Bristol

King College Arts, Bristol

Nyumba Ya Tausi-Peacock, Bristol (African American art)

Birthplace of Country Music Alliance Museum, Bristol

Art Alliance Mountain Empire, Bristol

East TN Children's Choir, Bristol

Johnson City Symphony Orchestra, Johnson City

Johnson City Community Theatre, Johnson City

Johnson City Civic Chorale, Johnson City

Freedom Hall Civic Center, Johnson City (entertainment facility, seats 8500)

Highland Theatrical Company, Johnson City

East TN State University, Johnson City

Symphony of the Mountains Orchestra, Kingsport

Voices of the Mountain, Kingsport (Regional Chorus)

The Kingsport Theatre Guild, Kingsport

Of course there are many others...from the different colleges, universities, etc in the Tri-Cities Area and other performing art centers in smaller cities (Greenville for example is very nice). etc...so as you can see..there are the amenities of larger cities, without the large city problems.

I would say the Tri Cities is not a rising star because it's not really growing, and here in knoxville, I meet people from there all the time (seems they move here to find work).

I would definately consider Knoxville, Nashville, Asheville, and Chatanooga rising stars though!

Having multiple friends who live in the area and I myself keep up with the news from up there, indeed 2 out of the 3 tri cities are flat in growth. Johnson City is the only city that seems to be growing and slowly at that.

Mobile, Baton Rouge and Austin? Would you say Austin is already a star somewhat or no?
Austin never gets any respect that it should, it is by far and I mean by far the best city in the south. The population is around 700,000 now and it just keeps on growing, but it still has it's small town flavor........ well maybe not the traffic

I need a definition of the current Southern "stars", cause IMO places like Charlotte, Austin, Memphis, and Nashville are arguably already there. If they're not, any one of them will be the next rising star.

Places less than a million:

1. Baton Rouge

2. Little Rock

3. Chattanooga

4. Tallahassee

5. Columbia, SC

^ Good point, it is pretty vague (and debatable) to say who is "there" and is "not there" yet. I know very little about the behind the scenes machinery and economics of all the cities in the south, but my bet is that Birmingham, AL is the next city to experience a very high growth rate that propels it out there as has happened and is happening with the others here. Assuming the predicted recession that will accompany the housing and construction "bust" doesn't delay this by a decade. Also, I think Mobile is a place to watch. May be AL's "turn" now, just a century late.

EDIT - reread thread, several others mentioned Mobile as well, I am not the only one. :)

Edited by nowensone

Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point (The Triad)

look out for the Triad. Its a sleeping giant ;)

many interstates will intersect in Greensboro making it a major central distribution center and an ven more larger convention city. (I-85/I-40/I-73/I-785/I-840) The FedEx hub will help Greensboro flourish.

Edited by cityboi

^ A large, important/prominent Greensboro would be a neat place, but I see WS being able to achieve this before the 'boro (WS seems more oriented towards big growth and has a larger hunger for it as well). Also, there is a lot of competition in a short distance from other "centers". Though I do think GSO will continue to grow steadily and make all the big lists, just quietly so, pretty much like it does now. I think the next big city will be one that is farther out from it's nearest large neighbor and so must become a "center" as overall population increases and creates the need for another one.

Edited by nowensone

Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point (The Triad)

look out for the Triad. Its a sleeping giant ;)

many interstates will intersect in Greensboro making it a major central distribution center and an ven more larger convention city. (I-85/I-40/I-73/I-785/I-840) The FedEx hub will help Greensboro flourish.

While I live there and would luv to see the Triad as the South's(if not the nation's) next hot thing, I just don't see it happening. While there were boom times in the past and most of the metro has always experienced growth at or slightly above/below the average, I just don't see a major shift in the next 5-10 years. If seeds that are being planted now in Winston-Salem and Greensboro take (Winston in biotech, medicine, design, and technology; Greensboro in biotech, tranportation, and distribution.) However, the region has to compete with some pretty big neighbors with more tempting offerings for conventions so I wouldn't bank on big convention business.

If things go right, you may see big things out of the area in about 15 years from now...

^ A large, important/prominent Greensboro would be a neat place, but I see WS being able to achieve this before the 'boro (WS seems more oriented towards big growth and has a larger hunger for it as well).

To me, it seems like Greensboro puts itself out there more than Winston-Salem, but I do think that Winston-Salem has a greater potential for more urban growth since it has better infrastructure in place.

Austin is considered more Southwest IMO; that might be the reason it's not mentioned in the South as much. It's a city definetly one the rise.

Some "Rising Stars" (no particular order)

Raleigh

Orlando

Greenville

Baton Rouge

Tampa

Chattanooga

Mobile

Edited by richyb83

To me, it seems like Greensboro puts itself out there more than Winston-Salem, but I do think that Winston-Salem has a greater potential for more urban growth since it has better infrastructure in place.

WS is making the efforts now (and has been for the past 20 years), especially in the medical and tech fields, that will make it more growable than GSO in the future, in addition to the traditional companies that call WS home and provide an economic/community infusion that GSO lacks. Both towns are heavy in colleges/universities, and WS probably has the edge in terms of arts/culture, though both are well represented there. But WS is also an economic gateway for the mountain area of the state and it's output, which now includes a wine region growing in respect. It also has a large tourism industry. WS's new PTRP should contribute to it's growth as it is anchored by a respected medical school, which GSO lacks.

My impression of GSO since moving here is of a place that doesn't care as much about proving itself like Raleigh, CLT and WS, as it is secure in itself, and so slumbers the giant. Just my impression, could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem like a place that wants the kind of growth Raleigh and CLT have fought for, in no small part due to the old money that calls GSO home and has restricted growth where it could. A generation or two may change that, perhaps it already has, but WS will begin to reap the benefits of it's planning efforts before GSO can catch up. If PTI was anywhere near WS instead of within GSO's city limits, who knows how things would be different today.

Edited by nowensone

WS is making the efforts now (and has been for the past 20 years), especially in the medical and tech fields, that will make it more growable than GSO in the future, in addition to the traditional companies that call WS home and provide an economic/community infusion that GSO lacks. Both towns are heavy in colleges/universities, and WS probably has the edge in terms of arts/culture, though both are well represented there. But WS is also an economic gateway for the mountain area of the state and it's output, which now includes a wine region growing in respect. It also has a large tourism industry. WS's new PTRP should contribute to it's growth as it is anchored by a respected medical school, which GSO lacks.

My impression of GSO since moving here is of a place that doesn't care as much about proving itself like Raleigh, CLT and WS, as it is secure in itself, and so slumbers the giant. Just my impression, could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem like a place that wants the kind of growth Raleigh and CLT have fought for, in no small part due to the old money that calls GSO home and has restricted growth where it could. A generation or two may change that, perhaps it already has, but WS will begin to reap the benefits of it's planning efforts before GSO can catch up. If PTI was anywhere near WS instead of within GSO's city limits, who knows how things would be different today.

Maybe I just think that Greensboro seems to make more noise than Winston-Salem because of the stronger convention industry in Greensboro, which really benefits the city in terms of recognition. And again, it seems that what you say about Greensboro in the second paragraph would be more true of Winston-Salem, since it's more of an "old money" city (e.g., the Reynolds family). Winston-Salem has historically had an advantage over Greensboro (as it was once the state's largest), but somehow Greensboro caught up. But you'd know more than me since you actually live in NC and my perspective is that of an outsider.

Greensboro has more name recognition and alot of that has to due with ACC events, the PGA and oh yes....American Idol!

Edited by cityboi

As far as mid-sized cities in the South, Huntsville, AL is going to be hard to beat in coming years. Huntsville has been growing substantially in recent years due to its high tech economy. The BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure) really worked in Huntsville's favor this time around. They are estimating 3,000 high paying civil servant jobs (Army researchers, engineers) will come to Huntsville in the next few years. According to the experts, that typically means an equal number of contractor positions at Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon, Northrup Grumman... will be created. Approximately 6,000 jobs with an average pay of 50-100k/year is huge for a city the size of Huntsville.

As far as mid-sized cities in the South, Huntsville, AL is going to be hard to beat in coming years. Huntsville has been growing substantially in recent years due to its high tech economy. The BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure) really worked in Huntsville's favor this time around. They are estimating 3,000 high paying civil servant jobs (Army researchers, engineers) will come to Huntsville in the next few years. According to the experts, that typically means an equal number of contractor positions at Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon, Northrup Grumman... will be created. Approximately 6,000 jobs with an average pay of 50-100k/year is huge for a city the size of Huntsville.

True! I also think Huntsville efforts to attract young professionals will really begin to pay off in the next 10 years resulting in a young, educated workforce - the envy of any company looking to relocate south.

If PTI was anywhere near WS instead of within GSO's city limits, who knows how things would be different today.

Winston-Salem would indeed be a much different place had PTI been placed in Eastern Forsyth County as the delegation from Winston-Salem wanted, however they were outvoted(if I remember correctly)

Greensboro has more name recognition and alot of that has to due with ACC events, the PGA and oh yes....American Idol!

Ah Yes, American Idol which talked about Greensboro's small town charm, not exactly a flattering label for a municipality wanting to be taken seriously as a metropolitan area!

Winston-Salem would indeed be a much different place had PTI been placed in Eastern Forsyth County as the delegation from Winston-Salem wanted, however they were outvoted(if I remember correctly)

Ah Yes, American Idol which talked about Greensboro's small town charm, not exactly a flattering label for a municipality wanting to be taken seriously as a metropolitan area!

lol..well on the show Greensboro was being compared with cities such as San Fransico, New York and Chicago which were the other audition cities. Greensboro is a small town when compared to New York or Chicago. I would even consider Charlotte being a small town compared to New York and Chicago.

as for the airport. If I remember correct, PTI was origionally suppose to be built more centrally between Greensboro and Winston-Salem. However some Greensboro politician were lobbying to move the airport closer to Greensboro and Greensboro won. I think that action is what caused the fierce competition between Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem then built its own airport which was suppose to compete with the one being built in Greensboro.

another example: More recently I-73 was suppose to go through Winston. But like the airport Greensboro politicians did some lobbying and was able to move the I-73 from Winston to Greensboro. Eventually Winston-Salem still ended up with a new interstate route (I-74). The competition between the two cities is a big reason the region isnt bigger than it is today. Greensboro had sour grapes when Winston got Dell. Greensboro is building its own research park instead of supporting PTRP in Winston. I mean im happy Greensboro is building a research park but its an example how the two cities like to operate apart from one another. I honestly dont think the two cities trust one another. High Point is in its own little world. High Point doesnt really care what Greensboro and Winston does. But Ive never seen any other metro with such fierce competition within.

Edited by cityboi