The South's next rising star(s)

krazeeboi

Houston is definitely known as a medical center. Places like Durham (because of Duke) and Nashville (because of Vanderbilt) are known for healthcare as well. I have never heard of Little Rock being known for medicine, other than the fact that there is a medical school there. I'm sure the care one receives there is very good, though.

Of course, all of these places are trumped by world-renowned medical centers in Boston. Philadelphia and New York are obviously up there as well.

Houston is definitely known as a medical center. Places like Durham (because of Duke) and Nashville (because of Vanderbilt) are known for healthcare as well. I have never heard of Little Rock being known for medicine, other than the fact that there is a medical school there. I'm sure the care one receives there is very good, though.

Of course, all of these places are trumped by world-renowned medical centers in Boston. Philadelphia and New York are obviously up there as well.

I just saw a show on Discovery channel that featured research at Duke dealing with the brain and its internal clock. Duke is well known for research so I will go on to say that it not that far behind Bosotn in that regards. UNC burn center is up there as well. All of this is evident with all of the health and bio companies opening research centers in and around the RTP.

There are many other cities that can rival Houston as far as healthcare goes. Nashville of course, Raleigh, Memphis, etc... I'm also surprised that Birmingham hasn't been mentioned. The University of Alabama at Birmingham is a major research university in the medical fields. The Burn Center is also heavily used by other states. Patients are flown in from as far away as Florida, and quite a few from Altanta.

The fact is, there are many cities in the South that can claim "world renowned" status for healthcare. Each medical entity has different high rankings. UAB is rank number three for AIDS research, but, it may not be ranked near as high for, say, Neurosurgery.

It's very hard to compare medical schools and hospitals when they all specialize in different things.

• 1 month later...

Have yall forgotten about savannah here? charleston has been mention a ton but no savannah. i realize it doesnt get much rep here, but consider this:

the port of savannah is second now only to new york on the east coat, nd withing 5 - 10 years will double its size with a second port.

now as far as the city goes, it is going through a rennaisance, but i wouldnt call it anything special yet, the tallest things slated for construction within the next year or 2 are the two 10 - 11 story buildings in the river landing.

midtown is also starting to get some midrises, a few 6 story hotels have been planned, 1 already up.

so even if the city itself isn't going full tilt yet, savannah as a port should be recognized more more than it is now as a rising star.

Alabamarock;

Anyone who has followed Medical Schools for a long time would recognize that UAB is one of the finest schools in the South or the country. The School of Health Professions is #1 in the nation in research funding from the National Institutes of Health and holds the record for 26 consecutive years in either first or second place in that category. In School Rankings: The School of Nursing is ranked 19th. The School of Medicine is ranked 23rd. With the following programs ranked: AIDS, 4th; women

• 4 weeks later...

Huh, what? :blink::rolleyes::P The same could be said vice versa (with people from around the world included), but what is the point when both cities are growing at a similar pace and in a somewhat similar fashion.

My comment was in reference to this THREAD...not "people from around the world". Quite a few in this thread mentioned Columbia...the ONLY peope to mention Greenville were...well...FROM Greenville. That was my point. :)

Columbia, the Capital of Easy Living, and the largest ongoing dowtown urban infill development project in the US.

The Columbia Zoning Board last week gave the Sasaki Design Company the OK on its zoning overlay plan for Innovista, a 600+ acre urban footprint. I was there and Sasaki's presentation and update on their progress were astoundingly impressive. Most of the land is privately owned and no grumbling is coming out of the business community regarding the plan to urbanize the entire district. The ball is rolling in a major way and there's a lot of power in Washington, D.C. that is on Innovista's side as far as funding for the massive riverfront park is concerned. Stay tuned and keep an eye on South Carolina's central rising star.

Everyone seems to pass up the Norfolk, VA region as a rising star. These pictures show how modern downtown is and its only growing. Check out the Norfolk thread here to see all the projects in the pipeline. And also keep in mind, the Hampton Roads metropolitan region boasts 4 other downtowns other than this one: Newport News, Hampton, Portsmouth, and newly created Virginia Beach.

Pictures of Norfolk, VA courteousy of www.NorfolkPhotoGallery.com

1105118389_a573f018ec_b.jpg

1105961798_3e6834ec35_b.jpg

1105103259_becb8aff3d_b.jpg

1105096261_55dd9ee104_b.jpg

1105107503_7e4890a75a_b.jpg

1105121967_daeea1ea78_b.jpg

1105114561_a1fdacb0af_b.jpg

1105099829_61218c059b_b.jpg

• 2 months later...

There are many other cities that can rival Houston as far as healthcare goes. Nashville of course, Raleigh, Memphis, etc... I'm also surprised that Birmingham hasn't been mentioned. The University of Alabama at Birmingham is a major research university in the medical fields. The Burn Center is also heavily used by other states. Patients are flown in from as far away as Florida, and quite a few from Altanta.

The fact is, there are many cities in the South that can claim "world renowned" status for healthcare. Each medical entity has different high rankings. UAB is rank number three for AIDS research, but, it may not be ranked near as high for, say, Neurosurgery.

It's very hard to compare medical schools and hospitals when they all specialize in different things.

i guess i will tout Nashville's horn and by saying Nashville is home to the largest private owned healthcare operator in the GLOBE; yes thats HCA Inc. So basically Nashville has hands in all the hospitals all over the globe.

Heres the wiki link :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospital_Corporation_of_America

Yeah, I would say this entire area is already well-established and therefore a "star" as far as the premise of this thread goes.

Everyone seems to pass up the Norfolk, VA region as a rising star. These pictures show how modern downtown is and its only growing. Check out the Norfolk thread here to see all the projects in the pipeline. And also keep in mind, the Hampton Roads metropolitan region boasts 4 other downtowns other than this one: Newport News, Hampton, Portsmouth, and newly created Virginia Beach.

Pictures of Norfolk, VA courteousy of www.NorfolkPhotoGallery.com

1105096261_55dd9ee104_b.jpg

Is that a pirate ship?!?

Edited by nowensone

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I would say this entire area is already well-established and therefore a "star" as far as the premise of this thread goes.

Is that a pirate ship?!?

All great pics of Norfolk. I had no idea it was anywhere enar that large!

Maybe so, but it is awesome to see all of our "big 3" in the top 13 of that list. That speaks a lot for the possibilities within the stae right now and in the future. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...