hampton_waterfront.jpg

Portsmouth

portsmouth1.jpg

2003Aerial.JPG

344742658_dd3b7b77c1_b.jpg

Newport News

DCS04-360-2.jpg

Vascic-looking-ne_OP.jpg

The area really looks great. The Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, and Newport News area is one area I've never visited and I really need to check it out.

Your bay, and beautiful, expansive waterfront areas are tremendous assets. People would be remiss in not including your area as a rising star.

• 3 months later...

In Florida I'd have to go with Orlando. Orlando is on the right track and has room to grow. The only problem with Orlando is it's economy being based on tourism so there are a lot of unskilled low pay jobs.

Miami will probably continue to grow and just get bigger and bigger as the years pass but it's already well established.

Tampa, I don't really expect to see a lot of growth here. The epicenter for business is New Tampa rather than downtown. The city already has sprawl galore and a lot of traffic. I just don't see it growing a whole lot in the near future.

St. Pete, this city is more or less maxed out as it is. It will probably start to grow up more once the real estate market improves.

Jax, tons of room to grow but I don't know whether or not it will.

• 4 months later...

Yeah, I would say this entire area is already well-established and therefore a "star" as far as the premise of this thread goes.

Is that a pirate ship?!?

Its likely a German Tallship from either OpSail 2000 or Norfolk's annual Harborfest. OpSail 2000 was a largest gathering of tallships from around the world. They sailed a global tour together to celebrate the new millenium and stopped in Norfolk for a festival weekend. Since the 1980s, Norfolk's Harborfest has occurred in the summer and usually attracts tallships from around the world too, although not in as great a number as OpSail 2000 did. You can usually take a tour of the boats. The women love the foreign navies and the men love all the beer that passes around. Good times.

• 1 month later...

Now that previous post with the 4 downtowns in the Hampton Roads region..

The only downtown is Norfolk..

VA BEACH, HAMPTON, NEWPORT NEWS, and PORTMOUTH are all more of a town center..

But yes Norfolk is growing and with light rail, TOD, and Paul Fraim i can see us as a major city in the south.

Now that previous post with the 4 downtowns in the Hampton Roads region..

NN, Hampton, and Portsmouth all have well established and historic downtown. The only Town Center is in Virginia Beach. NN does have city center but the traditional downtown is on the water.

• 1 month later...

This is what town center will look like shortly, and it will keep expanding outwards. The VABeach Light Rail will cross right through town center. I think towncenter will evolve into a downtown.

TTC_buildout.jpg

Keep in mind that town center is less that 10 miles from downtown Norfolk and you can see Norfolks skyline pretty well from the westin tower.

Go here for some amazing shots.

http://metroscenes.com/cities/norfolk-and-virginia-beach/

Also norfolk has a highrize under construction and one ready to start soon.

heres a webcam for it

http://www.norfolk.gov/wachovia_center/default.asp

Edited by Mobius57

• 2 months later...

The next rising star as I see it, first I start with my home state of NC. Winston-Salem and Greensboro will be the next huge cities in Nc and the southern region. Some other cities I have to mention is Asheville and Wilmington. Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville in SC are also up there. I can't label one city in the Hampton Roads area so I will say that whole area. I have been hearing a lot about Mobile and I think Birmingham is up there too. Knoxville, Little Rock, too.

Richmond, Raleigh, Austin, Charlotte, Tampa, Memphis, and Orlando are already southern stars in my boat.

My next rising star is obviously gonna be Norfolk/ Va Beach! But I really think that Triangle in NC has a potential to explode into a major metro. Raleigh is becoming an awesome place. But guys Hampton Roads is the south's rising star. Va Beach has plans to expand their Town Center idea into a "World Class Downtown" fit with a dazzling skyline, offices, lofts, international retailers, all the goodies. Downtown Norfolk is increasing in size, population,, office space, hotel space, ect. The Metro is expected to reach 2 million in a few years. We are working on a regional transit system. The Tide Light Rail is under construction from medical center through downtown to the va beach border. Va Beach is in the planning stages of extending it to Town Center and the Oceanfront. Norfolk is planning on extending light rail to Naval Station Norfolk (largest base in the world). I could go on and on..

Downtown Va Beach Prelim. Plan

Norfolk Development Website

Downtown Norfolk 2020 Plan

Va Beach Oceanfront Plan

Edited by varider

Hampton Roads already has almost 2 million people in its metro area. It's clearly past the point of being a "rising star" in the South.

When I think rising star I'm thinking the next area to become like Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston, ect. But yes we are alredy a major metro. 5th largest in the south.

"Hampton Roads has more people in its MSA than Charlotte does. "

But it has a much smaller economy.

According to the BEA, In the 2006 South the GMP were as follows:

Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX (MSA) $344b

Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX (MSA) $338b

Atlanta (MSA) $257b

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL (MSA) $248b

Charlotte (MSA) $114b

Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL (MSA) $108.5b

Orlando-Kissimmee, FL (MSA) $97b

Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin, TN (MSA) $73b

Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC $71.7b

Austin-Round Rock, TX (MSA) $71b

Birmingham (MSA) $51.b

It probably looks about the same now, with higher numbers for everyone.

Edited by moonshield

• 2 years later...

"Hampton Roads has more people in its MSA than Charlotte does. "

But it has a much smaller economy.

According to the BEA, In the 2006 South the GMP were as follows:

Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX (MSA) $344b

Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX (MSA) $338b

Atlanta (MSA) $257b

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL (MSA) $248b

Charlotte (MSA) $114b

Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL (MSA) $108.5b

Orlando-Kissimmee, FL (MSA) $97b

Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin, TN (MSA) $73b

Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC $71.7b

Austin-Round Rock, TX (MSA) $71b

Birmingham (MSA) $51.b

It probably looks about the same now, with higher numbers for everyone.

Wait a minute.... where's RVA on that?? We have, like, 6 Fortune 500s and 4 Fortune 1000s! :shok:

• 2 months later...

I think all the Columbia mentions are somewhat odd. Columbia may always be the largest city in the state purely because it's the capital and because they have the highest population, but I think Greenville and Charleston are much better "destinations" for visitors and all around better places to live. There is constantly new development happening in Greenville and our downtown alone draws visitors from the state and Southeast. Don't get me wrong, Cola has good things going for it, but more times than not I hear people here in SC talking about how much they dislike Columbia. I come across visitors to G'ville from Cola frequently and they always comment on our downtown as being more lively and fun.

So to those who have named Columbia as a rising star, why? Honest question as I haven't spent much time at all in Columbia apart from the zoo and state fair(woohoo!).

Edited by GVLbikeNboard

I think all the Columbia mentions are somewhat odd. Columbia may always be the largest city in the state purely because it's the capital and because they have the highest population, but I think Greenville and Charleston are much better "destinations" for visitors and all around better places to live. There is constantly new development happening in Greenville and our downtown alone draws visitors from the state and Southeast. Don't get me wrong, Cola has good things going for it, but more times than not I hear people here in SC talking about how much they dislike Columbia. I come across visitors to G'ville from Cola frequently and they always comment on our downtown as being more lively and fun.

So to those who have named Columbia as a rising star, why? Honest question as I haven't spent much time at all in Columbia apart from the zoo and state fair(woohoo!).

Most of what you're saying here is purely subjective and since you live in Greenville, of course people will prefer living there to other places in SC but that doesn't make the other locales in the state "bad." And there's nothing that says that only one city in SC can be a "rising star;" Columbia's success isn't at the expense of other cities in the state and it's not a competition about which city/cities in SC are "better" which is what you seem to be making it out to be. But with that said, there are several advantages Columbia enjoys that puts it in a good position to experience future growth: its central location, relatively stable economy, large white-collar workforce, educated population, low cost of living, recreational amenities, revitalizing downtown, moderate politics, solid arts scene, etc.

The fact of the matter is that within the state, the differences between the three major metros are amplified but they are all more or less on even footing and offer much of the same things since they are true peers. Unless you are just really, REALLY big on being near certain geographical features, there will be no drastic reduction in quality of life going from one of these cities to the next for the most part.

• 1 year later...

My list would include Nashville, Austin (although it is technically not in the south), Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, Lexington, and Jacksonville.

Nashville: Lots of commercial development and pent up demand for class A office space in the city's core. Each part of the metro is growing rapidly, especially prominent ring cities and suburbs. The city is also finally taking a serious look at mass transit options, which it lags behind its peer cities. The Nashville of ten years from now will be a vastly different place.

Austin: Like Nashville, it is experiencing incredible growth in the core. With pent up demand for office, residential, and retail space, the city is coming into its own. High paying jobs, tech companies, and a creative class of young people are moving in droves. Austin's skyline is unrecognizable from ten years ago. The city is lacking a cohesive road/interstate network compared to its peer cities, but makes up for it in mass transit options.

Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill: Matches Nashville's college and university offerings in an upscale quirky environment. The area offers some of the highest paying jobs in North Carolina, and is experiencing rapid growth while maintaining an excellent quality of life. The area has an impressive retail and commercial offering for its population and continues to attract tech company and medical research giants.

Lexington: Yes Lexington Kentucky. Lexington offers an unparalleled quality of life in a small town atmosphere. The city is elegant, progressive, and busy. Lexington city leaders and chamber of commerce has been aggressive in attracting new industry to the area. UK is the economic heart that brings in research opportunities and a first class education. Pent up demand for retail has attracted major developments for growth around main corridors and established mall areas. The city must address traffic concerns and an outdated road network/lack of interstate connectivity if it wants to continue to improve the quality of life.

Jacksonville: Jacksonville has the luxury of offering beautiful beaches, wildlife, and scenic national parks. Jacksonville continues to grow as a retail and distribution hub. Downtown has seen new investment, and pent up demand for retail has pushed ahead new developments. In close proximity is St. Augustine, the nation's oldest city and a historical giant. Expect great things for Jacksonville in the future,

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2008 at 0:00 PM, USF_Rockstar said:

In Florida I'd have to go with Orlando. Orlando is on the right track and has room to grow. The only problem with Orlando is it's economy being based on tourism so there are a lot of unskilled low pay jobs.

Miami will probably continue to grow and just get bigger and bigger as the years pass but it's already well established.

Tampa, I don't really expect to see a lot of growth here. The epicenter for business is New Tampa rather than downtown. The city already has sprawl galore and a lot of traffic. I just don't see it growing a whole lot in the near future.

St. Pete, this city is more or less maxed out as it is. It will probably start to grow up more once the real estate market improves.

Jax, tons of room to grow but I don't know whether or not it will.

Eight years on, it's time to revisit these predictions ...

Orlando - vigorous population growth, but downtown going sideways.

Miami - EXPLODING, global city.

Tampa - sleepy, but stirring,

St Pete - has arguably become the best downtown in Florida.

Jax - moribund.

• 1 year later...
On 5/13/2009 at 9:45 PM, krazeeboi said:

Hampton Roads has more people in its MSA than Charlotte does.

Multiple years on from this one, but couldn't be more untrue.

Charlotte: 2,525,000 with a 13.91% growth since 2009 and Hampton Roads: 1,725,000 with a 2.89% growth rate since 2009. Charlotte could legitimately have 1m more people after the 2020 Census. 

• Thanks 1