Downtown Population Density

monsoon

Despite all the new impressive construction, I did some quick calculations and came up with the following numbers:

• Downtown Area = 5.4 sq miles

• Downtown Population Estimate 2004 - ~8500

• Downtown Population Density - 1574 people/sq mile

Population Density Comparison (people/sq mile)

• Downtown - 1574

• Charlotte - 2232

• Mecklenburg - 1466

Did I get something wrong or is the downtown population density that much less than Charlotte in general, and not that much better than Mecklenburg?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are correct. I went back and looked again and I get 1.92 sq/miles for downtown. (Area inside I-277)

So that results in the following correction.

• Downtown Area = 1.92 sq miles

• Downtown Population Density - 4427 people/sq mile

• Downtown - 4427

• Charlotte - 2232

• Mecklenburg - 1466

That would explain where I had the calculation wrong.

Despite all the new impressive construction, I did some quick calculations and came up with the following numbers:
  • Downtown Area = 5.4 sq miles

• Downtown Population Density - 1574 people/sq mile

[*]Downtown - 1574

[*]Charlotte

How exactly did you get 1.92 square miles?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Using a GPS calculator I took the average distance from I-77 to the no name I-277 x the average distance between the John Belk Freeway and the Brookshire freeway. Its close enough for government work. I screwed up the first time as I had it set to kilometers.

28202 (100%), a small part of 28203 (maybe 20% of the Zip area), and about 20% of 20204 comprise the I-277 loop. There is actually another Zip not listed on this map. It is 28288. For example, the building where I work is 401 S Tryon CLT, NC 28288. If you take just 28202 and 20% of both 28204 & 28203 you have a population of :

28202--- 6,591 * 1.0=6,591

28203----9,925 * .20=1,985

28204----5,224 * .20=1,044

Total Sum = 9620

(there is also a small part of 28205 & 28206, but the number would be less than 10%)

Here is a link to the Zip Map. The lines are thick and there is some overlap. You also have to remember that the bulk of the existing residential is on the edge of the loop. That is soon to change as more residents will fill in the voids of center city)

http://www.charlottechamber.com/files/Meck.ZIPS.pdf

That is a special zipcode.  It should not be used to determine population density.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are right MB. It is designated for the banks since they receive a ridiculous amount of mail. It has no bearing on the pop #'s

A2

You know I just thought about something. According to J&W's info they are expecting to have over 5,000 students enrolled by 2007. Is there some kind of idea as to how many of those students will live on or near campus in the loop. I would guess at least 50%. That would boost uptown pop stats by over 2500. If that were to be correct, is it possible we could hit 20,000 within "The Loop" by say 2008/2009. Again, just curious. ;)

A2

You know I just thought about something. According the J&W's info they are expecting to have over 5,000 students enrolled by 2007.  Is there some kind of idea as to how many of those students will live on or near campus in the loop. I would guess at least 50%. That would boost uptown pop stats by over 2500. If that were to be correct, is it possible we could hit 20,000 within "The Loop" by say 2008/2009. Again, just curious. ;)

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say the number is about 55%-60%.....so being conservative, that adds about 2,750 students....remember though that over 500 of that total already live on campus, and that 550 more will be moving into Citiview Tower, and in my previous estimates, they have been included, as has future growth......I don't think we'll see 20,000 in uptown until 2011-2012 at the earliest, but who knows. No one ever predicted it to grow at the rate it is now.

I'm at home so I have no access to any GIS software - but perhaps Atlrvr would volunteer?  Besides, not everyone would trust my findings... ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would trust you teshadoh. You seem to throw out valid info anytime you post. The magic number I am waiting on is 12,500. That # is when we will be on the radar for major retail. We only have acouple thousand to go. We should get that by the end of 06', possibly First of 07'

A2

Too crowded? If Boston can handle 100,000 people in one square mile, I'm sure Charlotte will be about to handle that over the years if we ever get to that point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that number real??? 100K in one square mile !!! :huh: They only have 560K in the actual city limits (granted the whole city of Boston Proper is only 50 Square miles! Tiny in land area).For some reason that number STILL seems a bit

S t r e t c h e d !

Ok....using GIS the number area I came up with using the interior lane of I-277 is 2.50 sq. mi. exactly, after netting out NCDOT controlled land and Elmwood Cemetary, I came up with 1.92 sq. mi., and netting out the Stadium and land on the other-side of Morehead that is generally percieved as being outside of downtown, I cam up with 1.72 sq. mi.

As far as Boston, 100,000 in 1sq, mi. seems high, but the city does average around 13,000/sq. mi. New york has some block groups that are close to 200,000/sq. mi. (but of course these areas are much smaller than a sq. mi., so I'm not sure how sustained that density is), and Philly has some areas I believe that contain over 70,000 in an actual sq. mi.

As far as what would feel comfortable, I think 30,000 to 40,000 is reasonable.

Archived