Largest martial arts event ever held in North Amer

Largest martial arts event ever held in North America coming to Honolulu

12.jpg

Rumble World Entertainment Announces K-1 World Grand Prix 2005 in Hawai'i

Event will feature Akebono vs. Hong-man Choi and B.J. Penn vs. Renzo Gracie

HONOLULU, HAWAI'I June 20, 2005 -- For the first time in history, Fighting & Entertainment Group Inc. (FEG Inc.) and Rumble World Entertainment (RWE), will bring the K-1 World Grand Prix 2005 to Hawai'i's shores on Friday, July 29, for what promises to be a stellar card. The event will be the largest martial arts event ever held in North America and will be held at the 50,000-seat, 104-acre Aloha Stadium in Honolulu.

The event is part of a partnership between Japan-based FEG Inc., the managing company behind the K-1 Corporation, and Rumble World Entertainment, the promotional group behind the Rumble on the Rock events.

aloha stadium

Main events for the evening include Hawaiian Sumo legend and Yokozuna Akebono (6'8" 484 lbs), a K-1 veteran, who will make his Hawai'i debut against Korean superstar Hong-man Choi (7'2" 353 lbs) under K-1 rules. Hawai'i's own lightweight and welterweight champion B.J. Penn (5'9" 170 lbs) will return to take on Brazil's legendary Renzo Gracie (5'10" 185 lbs) for the night's highly anticipated Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) bout.

K-1 World Grand Prix's prestigious eight-man tournament will follow and will also be held under K-1 rules. All bouts will be held in a boxing ring and not in a cage.

Tickets to the event are priced at $35, $65, $75-$150, $200, and $300, and doors will open at 6 pm. Fans who cannot attend the event in person will be able to watch the event on Pay-Per-View - live in Japan and delayed in the U.S.

A preliminary press conference will be held in late June to offer interested media the opportunity to interview some of the fighters while they are in Honolulu. Details on the press conference and where tickets may be purchased will follow later.

:P

Source: The Brazilian Cultural Center of Hawaii News

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived