One Downtown Memphis Pic

sleepy

I've posted this one on other forums, but not here I believe. Anyway, I think it's my all time favorite downtown Memphis photo. No flash or dazzle, but dozens and dozens of 100 yr. old restored-converted residential units.

Looking south at the South Main Historic District. Much of what you see--the low rises in particular--are apartments:

31220929.jpg

Used with permission of the copyright holder Paul Ryburn at http://www.memphiswallpaper.com/

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neato Torpeado!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. The cool parts of downtown Memphis stretch south off into the horizon, which is the state of Mississippi, from whence came many interesting things in American culture.

Most newcomers to Memphis arrived via Greyhound--and still do. Elvis among them. lol

The flotsam and jetsom floated north.

I would say the stronger ties are definately between Memphis and Mississippi. Thats not to say that Memphis does not have a strong pull and influence over northeast Arkansas, but its seems that alot more of Mississippi looks towards Memphis as its key city, which I would say would have to do heavily with the historical ties between the cotton trade and Memphis, and the resulting economic, cultural, and social interaction between the two.

I know that in Jackson, Mississippi you can by the Memphis Commerical Appeal off the street, which IMO is indicative of how far south the sphere of Memphis goes. I would be suprised if you can buy the CA off the street in Little Rock, or anywhere west of lets say Jonesboro.

Thats just my take, others may disagree.

Just out of curiousity would you say that Memphis has closer ties to Mississippi or Arkansas?  I know there's West Memphis in Arkansas but I have gotten the impression there's a lot more growth towards Mississippi.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, Mississippi no doubt. There are 8 counties in the Memphis metro and 4 of them are in Mississippi. DeSoto County MS has a pop. of about 127,000, up from 107,000 4 yr. ago. There are 3 fairly large suburban towns there--over 20,000 pop each--which share street names and so on with Memphis.

Culturally, and family-wise there are just a lot of connections between the 2 states. For example, Ole Miss' largest alum assoc. is in Memphis; you can buy the Memphis newspaper in convenience stores as far south as Vicksburg, etc. A friend from Jackson grew up with his parents getting home delivery of the paper.

There's an old saying that Memphis is the capital of north Mississippi and New Orleans is the capital of south Mississippi. I guess Arkansas is just more dominated by Little Rock.

Interesting--Ole Miss used to play Tennessee in Memphis-it was a home game for Ole Miss.

The Mississippi River is just a big divide psychologically. West Memphis is just out there somewhere past the cotton fields and swamps.

I can certainly see that. I also know that not much has been going on in West Memphis for quite a while. Although I'm wondering with the growth that seems to be going on around Marion if that might eventually start things going more on the Arkansas side of the metro area. And yes with Arkansas being a rather small state and with a more compact shape as opposed to Tennessee, Little Rock does seem to dominate quite a bit of the state.

Archived