Icon on Bond

torgo

I'm not sure if you are thinking along the lines of a road-side motel with weekly and monthly rates (Grand Inn), but there are a number of extended stay hotels that are very nice.

Staybridge Suites, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Residence Inn by Marriott, Element by Westin and Candlewood Suites are just a few. With the expansion of the Medical offices on Michigan, this area is a great bet for an extended stay hotel. Currently the closest extended stay hotel with full kitchens would be on the SE side by the Airport (Staybridge, Homewood and Residence are all there).

In addition to the normal extended stay guest being very educated, they bring their expense accounts and per-diems with them. If both of the Monroe North hotels get built, I think this area would boom with delis, restaurants, and entertainment venues. Although I am more excited about the former WAM project, I still think this Staybridge would bring a lot to the area.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to work at Intercontinental when the Staybridge Brand was developed. It is a very nice hotel brand, attracts an affluent/business crowd (not riff raff) and will be a great addition to the 'hood. It will help create the kind of neighborhood everyone wants, people on the streets and possibly encourage other small businesses, like restaurants to open nearby. A win for the city, rather than an empty building.

I thought I was going to bring some surprising news to the forum but I see I've been beaten too it be Chris Knape. Well I have a little more info then the one line about the hotel. The Moch's were at the meeting of the Monroe North Business Association this morning to talk about the hotel.

They said they were set to begin on the hotel this fall. It will be a 137 unit extended stay hotel operated under the Staybridge Suites name, which is owned by the InterContinental Hotel Group. The building will be nine stories but slightlt shorter than Icon. It will have a brick facade "similar" to that of Icon. The hotel will include suites, one bedroom and two bedroom units. Each unit will have their own kitchenette.

The hotel will not have it's own restaurant. Only a coffee shop. They still plan to build a restaurant on the third corner they own but that is a different project.

It's funny that the Chis Knape's Blog mentions they have a potential buyer for Icon on Bond. The Mochs didn't mention that this morning. They did say that they are doing well with leasing units and right now they have about 20 people living in the buildings (there are 118 units). Yesterday alone they had 6 calls from people interested in leasing units.

I think that covers everything I heard this morning.

I thought I was going to bring some surprising news to the forum but I see I've been beaten too it be Chris Knape. Well I have a little more info then the one line about the hotel. The Moch's were at the meeting of the Monroe North Business Association this morning to talk about the hotel.

I used to work at Intercontinental when the Staybridge Brand was developed. It is a very nice hotel brand, attracts an affluent/business crowd (not riff raff) and will be a great addition to the 'hood. It will help create the kind of neighborhood everyone wants, people on the streets and possibly encourage other small businesses, like restaurants to open nearby. A win for the city, rather than an empty building.

Pure speculation, but I wonder IF Icon is sold, the new owners would come in and make adjustments to the building to make it more marketable (like fixing the facade and adding a couple of first-floor bays for a small restaurant, dry cleaner or *bucks)?

Joe

Pure speculation, but I wonder IF Icon is sold, the new owners would come in and make adjustments to the building to make it more marketable (like fixing the facade and adding a couple of first-floor bays for a small restaurant, dry cleaner or *bucks)?

Joe

• 9 months later...

From what I've heard, the place was constructed pretty well. Somebody will get a sweet deal and make it happen. I think at the price point he was asking, location (w/ an empty, buildable lot) would have killed him with or without the bubble.

I still think the area will boom as the city grows.

Joe

From what I've heard, the place was constructed pretty well. Somebody will get a sweet deal and make it happen. I think at the price point he was asking, location (w/ an empty, buildable lot) would have killed him with or without the bubble.

I still think the area will boom as the city grows.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived