Icon on Bond

torgo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one. Yeah, he is a first-class a-hole in my books. People like him and Azzar can move somewhere else for all I care. Hey, I have an idea! I hear there is a great paperplant in Parchment back on the market... ;)

I'm surprised the project isn't back up to 22 stories due to huge amount of BS that Moch has piled on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this may sound naive, but doesn't anyone here have any press contacts, or can we invite a press editor or reporter to start reading some of this? the grpress is notoriously weak on investigative journalism (and the various gemini pubs are even weaker), as most of their stories (other than crime) like to really stroke the powers that be, but here is a perfect example of how they could profile some of the shadier property developers (a long series) to expose them to some much needed public scrutiny, and hopefully get the various planning boards and authorities to take their job a bit more seriously...

<_<

^The planning commision loves to screw with Moch.  He just seems to know how to screw them back.  I recall them trying to stop his project a couple of times and him winning.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remeber in 03 when the project was first approved by the city Commission (I think Planning Commission denied him), I was talking with one of the city planners and they said that they were all quite nervous about Moch and this new project. I guess several times before he has proposed big projects with no financing. Moch just said "Oh, I'll get it, don't worry" and nothing was ever built. They knew what he was like and that the project might turn into a big cluster____, which it sort of has

^The planning commision loves to screw with Moch.  He just seems to know how to screw them back.  I recall them trying to stop his project a couple of times and him winning.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's mostly because many on the Planning Commission think about positive development but the City Commission just thinks about development. The CC's eyes light up any time anyone proposes something and they tend to overide many of the recommendations of the PC.

That's mostly because many on the Planning Commission think about positive development but the City Commission just thinks about development.  The CC's eyes light up any time anyone proposes something and they tend to overide many of the recommendations of the PC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont know if I would say the planning commission thinks about positive development, more like over-cautious suburban-style development maybe. Certainly some of their decisions have been rather mind boggling.

Other then the Moch Project, the city Commission has been realatively smart about city planning.

I dont know if I would say the planning commission thinks about positive development, more like over-cautious suburban-style development maybe. Certainly some of their decisions have been rather mind boggling.

Other then the Moch Project, the city Commission has been realatively smart about city planning.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some decisions have been questionable but the Planning Commission does try to follow the master plan and city ordinance. Master Plan's are supposed to serve a purpose. The City Commission pays no regard to either one. With the CC there is no grand plan for how to regulate development. It's a whatever we feel is right on a given day attitude.

Some decisions have been questionable but the Planning Commission does try to follow the master plan and city ordinance.  Master Plan's are supposed to serve a purpose.  The City Commission pays no regard to either one.  With the CC there is no grand plan for how to regulate development.  It's a whatever we feel is right on a given day attitude.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The City Commission is struggling with this very issue right now out on the Beltline. Lynn Rabaut is pretty upset about this Lifestyle Center, that was not apart of the master plan for that area. The city commission does have a tendency to override the master plan in favor of what is perceived as "a good thing for the moment."

Anyone see the commercial from Icon on Bond? Boy, hes really marketing his condos to death. I've seen more advertisment for this development then I have for the Riverhouse project....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He has ads on TV? I don't know why, but I think that is hilarious :lol:

Anyone see the commercial from Icon on Bond? Boy, hes really marketing his condos to death. I've seen more advertisment for this development then I have for the Riverhouse project....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Moch needs the extra advertising to make up for his bad reputation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw it about a month ago. He has to market them to death because they aren't on the river, many of the units have poor views, the floor plans need help (have you seen the plan on the inside corners of the project), the design isn't the greatest, the street level stinks, the ren-zone benefits will start to phase out two years after its built, and most importantly IT'S JOE and he just comes off as someone that can't be trusted.

I thought he was starting in the fall of 2003, wait wasn't it spring of '04, no I think it was fall of '04, well that isn't right either, it was spring of '05 with a revised project, wait- that changed to august of '05, than that changed to Sept 1, now we are looking at another 6-8 weeks. Anyone seeing a pattern here? 2006 isn't that far off. I hear it's favorable to start in the winter anyway. Riiiight

And the other part of that is that Riverhouse is gonna go up soon, and it looks like a nicer building, nicer floor plans, better view, and its close to Monroe North and downtown, and the starting price on riverhouse is apparently 10K lower than Fort Moch. If I were in the market for one of those, I would go with Riverhouse in a heartbeat. Apparently, so would everyone else.

According to the wzzm13 website Joe said he has deposits on 38 of 118 units. I can't imagine he would start construction with only 32% of the units reserved. I wonder if they are reservations or purchase agreements. I agree completely that I would go to Riverhouse before the Mochness Monster. I think any one of the projects proposed downtown looks nicer than Icon. I'm a big fan of how Union Square is turning out. I think the penthouses are going to be fabulous.

Personally im not a big fan of either plan. Mostly because im afraid it will turn into another Celebration village mess. My personal opinion is that if a shopping center (be it a mall, or "lifestyle center") is to go anywhere it should be near the city's core. Either in downtown, or close to it.

I just dont like seeing development that would be good for Downtown to end up way out in what I consider "the burbs" (I know its technically still GR, but that area is also very suburban in its design)

Archived