Where are the good Coffee Houses in Charlotte?

monsoon

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a big fan of supporting local businesses, and the closest locally owned coffeehouse to me is the dilworth playhouse. It is an interesting place, has good art, and has a full lineup of events, open mic night, live music, wine tasting and coffee cuppings. It is next to the elder art gallery on South Blvd (across from the old trolley barn).

http://www.dilworthplayhouse.com/

Oh, I have a good one! On Central Ave in Plaza Midwood, just past Fuel at Pecan Ave, Milan's Cafe and Nova's Bakery. This used to be Coffee Central, but now it's got new owners and the coffee shop and bakery are in one store. They have lots of different beans you can buy and grind yourself and they usually have many varieties of coffee brewing all day. They still make all the fancy stuff too if regular coffee is not your thing.

I haven't been, but the SK Netcafe on Elizabeth Ave is always crowded.  And of course there's always Smelly Cat in NoDa (they have really good pound cake, too.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

is the name Smelly Cat a play on the "smelly cat" song Phoebe from Friends would sing in the coffee shop?

I haven't been, but the SK Netcafe on Elizabeth Ave is always crowded.  And of course there's always Smelly Cat in NoDa (they have really good pound cake, too.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I second SmellyCat coffee shop. I meant to mention it earlier, but it slipped my mind. There's more seating there than in many coffee shops and there is some outdoor seating, too. Also, there are often dogs inside or out front, which is always a plus for me.

• 7 months later...

There was a nice little article today comparing some of the area chains and their food and atmosphere.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ent...ng/14192620.htm

Actually that was typical poor Observer reporting. It's supposed to be a report on where to go for good coffee and they end up only judging the 4 big coffee chains. It's like doing a survey of Wendys, McDonalds, and Burger King. Wonder how much advertizing these places put in the paper?

I like Caribou on East. It may be a chain but its one of the most friendly and diverse coffee houses I have ever been to, even more so on Wednesday nights. Nice laid back atmosphere and employees are geniunely dedicated to good service and are unpretentious. Starbucks up the block has a much more yuppie whitebread vibe in my opinion.

There is a coffee shop on North Davidson near the Cats Building in the Garden, It's called "Heck Yeah" and it is cool with good coffee. They get there coffee from Counter Culture which also has a coffee tasting facility here, and one in Durham. I believe this is the only coffee shop in Charlotte that uses Counter Culture as their vendor, but I could be wrong. Anyway Counter Culture knows their stuff when it comes to coffee beans. There was another post on these forums about the Counter Culture Coffee tastings here. Heck Yeah also has a cool feel to it, as it is decked out with bicycles on the inside,art, and a counter that looks like it is made out of a canoe, with records on them. Plus it is part of the Garden that is on North Davidson. This coffee shop is deffenitly a diamond in the ruff in my opinion.

Heck Yeah Map

Counter Culture Website

There is a coffee shop on North Davidson near the Cats Building in the Garden, It's called "Heck Yeah" and it is cool with good coffee. They get there coffee from Counter Culture which also has a coffee tasting facility here, and one in Durham. I believe this is the only coffee shop in Charlotte that uses Counter Culture as their vendor, but I could be wrong. Anyway Counter Culture knows their stuff when it comes to coffee beans. There was another post on these forums about the Counter Culture Coffee tastings here. Heck Yeah also has a cool feel to it, as it is decked out with bicycles on the inside,art, and a counter that looks like it is made out of a canoe, with records on them. Plus it is part of the Garden that is on North Davidson. This coffee shop is deffenitly a diamond in the ruff in my opinion.

Heck Yeah Map

Counter Culture Website

Did Heck Yeah used to be Java Rose? If so, whenever I try to go there now it is always closed. I was there when it was Java Rose and they had good coffee, loved the art and vibe there, and really enjoyed walking around the rose garden, but have not been able to patronize them since they are always closed when I go. Are they closed on weekends or something?

Im not sure if they owned Java Rose or not. But there current hours are:

M-F....................7am-7pm

Saturday........... 10am-7pm

Closed Sunday

I know there are 3 guys that run the place, and they probably wanted reduced hours due to the amount of employees they have(themselves) and low traffic area.

In LA county (and to some degree OC) it seemd like most coffehouses had "no talent nights" where locals would come in gig for a bit. Several of them were more like open mics-- where somebody would just play a few sets, then another performer followed up. Some places even charged admission one or twice a month and split the pool with a "winner".

I guess that's easy to do in an entertainment magnet like LA. But even the chain places like Diedrich's and Natalie's seemed more open to this. The chains here strike me more as strictly coffee-and-pastry shops.

Im not sure if they owned Java Rose or not. But there current hours are:

M-F....................7am-7pm

Saturday........... 10am-7pm

Closed Sunday

I know there are 3 guys that run the place, and they probably wanted reduced hours due to the amount of employees they have(themselves) and low traffic area.

That's a little disappointing. I read all about Java Rose and was excited about being a frequent customer there after we move in. Maybe "Heck Yeah" will be cool too, but the hours are reduced and the name isn't nearly as good. I wonder if they will continue to have gallery space and local musicians as Java Rose did.

In LA county (and to some degree OC) it seemd like most coffehouses had "no talent nights" where locals would come in gig for a bit. Several of them were more like open mics-- where somebody would just play a few sets, then another performer followed up. Some places even charged admission one or twice a month and split the pool with a "winner".

I guess that's easy to do in an entertainment magnet like LA. But even the chain places like Diedrich's and Natalie's seemed more open to this. The chains here strike me more as strictly coffee-and-pastry shops.

I've seen this at Huntersville's Jackson's Java and the unnamed coffee house in Oakdale (Cornelius). There is usually someone at these places on the weekends making music.

Archived