Introduction

Russell B

I figure I'll introduce myself now that I have posted a couple of times. I would do it on the main board but I'll probably hang mostly around here. I found this site when searching about the matthews bridge project.

I'm a Civil Engineering student at the University of Oklahoma. I may end up getting my masters in Urban and Regional Planning or Structural Engineering; I haven't decided yet. I took an interest in Jacksonville because of its vast potential. I also was impressed with the Duval County consolidation idea. It seems like it would make things more efficient when cities and counties don't have to spread the costs of projects between each other. Things like the skyway, matthews bridge and planned light rail/BRT projects interest me the most due to the civil engineering involved. I also hate driving so I wish there was a much larger transit system in the US. I like most of you have visions of what could be made of Jacksonville, but thats for another time.

It sounds like the mayor doesn't understand the concept of present worth which is unfortunate. Projects like the courthouse should be completed to their full extent. Jacksonville has a great location and the riverfront should be taken advantage of.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figure I'll introduce myself now that I have posted a couple of times.  I would do it on the main board but I'll probably hang mostly around here.  I found this site when searching about the matthews bridge project.

I'm a Civil Engineering student at the University of Oklahoma.  I may end up getting my masters in Urban and Regional Planning or Structural Engineering; I haven't decided yet.  I took an interest in Jacksonville because of its vast potential.  I also was impressed with the Duval County consolidation idea.  It seems like it would make things more efficient when cities and counties don't have to spread the costs of projects between each other.  Things like the skyway, matthews bridge and planned light rail/BRT projects interest me the most due to the civil engineering involved.  I also hate driving so I wish there was a much larger transit system in the US.  I like most of you have visions of what could be made of Jacksonville, but thats for another time.

It sounds like the mayor doesn't understand the concept of present worth which is unfortunate.  Projects like the courthouse should be completed to their full extent.  Jacksonville has a great location and the riverfront should be taken advantage of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen Brother.. Wlelcome to the Forum!!

:thumbsup:

Well said, Russell. Welcome to the forum...

Jacksonville has so much potential, it's scary. I no longer live in the city, but it's still home to me. Seems to me as if the current Mayor is somewhat clueless, but due to not living in town anymore, I don't know everything that I need to know to form a complete opinion on him.

I do know that I love and miss my home, and I want it to flourish in any and every way possible. If Peyton is holding the city back, then he needs to be voted out of office during the next election.

Okay, off my soapbox... welcome to the forum, Russell! :->

Russell, I would go for structural engineering over URP. That might just be my personal bias (I am a structural engineer) You sound interested in transportation based projects, so both fields are worthy.

Peyton is very short sighted. We decided to tax ourselves in exchange for civic improvement. The administration needs to get off their butts and give us what we've paid for.

Welcome to the forum. If you've got any questions about structural engineering as a profession, email me.

Archived