Arcadia Redevelopment

Spartan

That is very sad.

This is the kind of situation where government can actually be a useful thing. North Carolina has a historic mill tax credit to encourage people to keep these properties up. South Carolina needs to step it up before we've lost every one of them. I'd be interested to know how many still exist and how many there used to be.

South Carolina has had textile revitalization tax credits for a long long time.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After success with Dollar General building on Hayne Street and Blackstock Road, Arcadia will now also be getting a Family Dollar store.  It will be located on Spring Street at the former Frankie's Grill site (across from Arcadia Elementary School and next to Signmasters and Roseart).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

After years of no activity, I figured the Arcadia Mill redevelopment project was dead.  But this article about renovated textile mills says that work is beginning again on 60-80 apartments that will be completed in 2017.  Has anyone been by there lately to see if anything's happening?  I hope this project is indeed back on.

• 1 month later...

Another blurb about the Arcadia Mills renovation in this article about Pace Burt (and mostly covering Greenville developments).  It describes the project as "still in design phase with projected start mid-2016 and finishing in 2017. Arcadia will have approximately 110 units."  Looking forward to this finally happening.

I noticed the "Reserve at Park West" modern apartment complex on the other side of the RR tracks from the Spartan 16 theater is expanding with several new buildings, so there's certainly plenty of demand in this area.

• 1 year later...

Dug up this thread, because the Arcadia Mill renovation may finally happen (4+ years after it was first proposed).  It seems more plausible now because developer Pace Burt just sold Mayfair Lofts (in Arcadia) for $10.59 million, so he actually has a decent amount of cash on hand now.  The article says that the plan for this mill is 80 loft apartments, and that Burt is currently waiting for approval from the SC Historic Preservation office before he can start.

Arcadia has so much potential.  The area would really benefit from a comprehensive plan and some public investment (sidewalks).  Unfortunately, it being in the county makes that unlikely.

• 5 months later...

According to this article, the Arcadia Mill renovation is actually moving forward!  The $9 million project is now planned to have 70 loft units.  They've now filed a site plan with the county, and awarded the construction contract to Clayton Construction.  The project will also include an arts complex (in the mill office) in partnership with the Chapman Cultural Center called "Creativity Mill".  I can't wait for this to FINALLY get underway.

• Like 1

@mainonmain Jesse Bobo Elementary is in city limits, so the mill is definitely less than a mile from there.  There have been A LOT of projects built within that 1-mile range since the Spartanburg Water annexation agreement that have yet to be annexed.  How long can they wait?  I'd like to see them annexed ASAP so they can start producing revenue for the City (and boost population figures).

Here's the H-J story on the mill renovation.  The project should start in February and be completed in about 9 months.  The article says 2BR units of 1500 sq ft should rent for about $1000 per month.  That seems like a pretty good price for that much space.

• 10 months later...

A little over a week ago, I went to an open house / tour of the Mayfair Art Studios at Arcadia Mill #1.  Chapman Cultural Center is spearheading the development in partnership with the apartment developer.  The ground floor will have glass, metal, pottery, and dance studios; while the 2nd floor (phase 2, I think) will have more studio space (for visual artists perhaps, I forget).  Renovation for the apartments was coming along, too.  Here are some pics:

Well, first a map:

arcadiamill2.jpg.57ba61114b849a12bf0678354a85888d.jpg

Future studio space upstairs:

IMG_2486.thumb.JPG.d93db7b9a564ed563c2aabb756954aa9.JPG

Cool ramp to get up there:

IMG_2493.thumb.JPG.18ee437e6016e60e8d7e9f87ff3bbc78.JPG

Renovating some warehouses. I don't know what they will be used for.

IMG_2487.thumb.JPG.e93c5a93ed57998d5307f80e0afeb456.JPG

Windows starting to go in the main building (apartments).

IMG_2491.thumb.JPG.07e8b77a6d4eb9d94908a82a355fbf48.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Got an e-mail from the Chapman Cultural Center which had a link to a full website specifically for the Mayfair Art Studios.

http://www.mayfairartstudios.org/

Lots of great information on what programing and opportunities the facility provides (also floor plans), with more to come as it gets closer to opening.  This will definitely be a cool place!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

County Council will vote tonight on whether to certify a site behind Mayfair Mill as a "Textile Mill Site" under the SC Textiles Communities Revitalization Act.  The developer, Southern States Resources, LLC, plans to acquire the property and redevelop it in early-2022.  Here's a conceptual plan for this site I found a few years ago (Mayfair-Mills-Land-Siteplan-02-2019.pdf). It was mostly single-family, so I suspect that's what they'll do.  Development has really been heating up lately. Lots of large "infill" parcels being snatched up.

1666727238_MayfairMillredevsite.thumb.jpg.d590f4ec53b58e4d3f151d51d5479980.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Community Revitalization Partnership Committee of Una Saxon and Arcadia will be presenting an infrastructure plan at the next County Transportation Committee meeting.  The improvements they're requesting can be seen on the map below.  The New Cut Road underpass of the RR tracks desperately needs replacement.  It's a one-lane underpass built in 1918 that constantly floods, on a pretty heavily-traveled road.  Item D below suggests a bridge as a replacement.  The other improvements would also be nice, but that should be the top priority, IMO.  I don't know how likely it is that any of these will be done (perhaps federal infrastructure dollars can be used), but I applaud this group for advocating for a historically overlooked area.

1876029554_Una-Saxonpotentialroadprojects.thumb.jpg.275e44ef244ee3ce8d18aa2b78d8163a.jpg

Edited by westsider28
corrected street name
  • Like 3

On 1/11/2022 at 6:36 PM, westsider28 said:

The Community Revitalization Partnership Committee of Una Saxon and Arcadia will be presenting an infrastructure plan at the next County Transportation Committee meeting.  The improvements they're requesting can be seen on the map below.  The New Cut Road underpass of the RR tracks desperately needs replacement.  It's a one-lane underpass built in 1918 that constantly floods, on a pretty heavily-traveled road.  Item D below suggests a bridge as a replacement.  The other improvements would also be nice, but that should be the top priority, IMO.  I don't know how likely it is that any of these will be done (perhaps federal infrastructure dollars can be used), but I applaud this group for advocating for a historically overlooked area.

Follow-up on this: apparently the meeting was yesterday.  The New Cut Road underpass is still an underpass (I must've misunderstood that) with a second tunnel, so each is one-way (w/sidewalk in new one).  Hopefully stormwater/flooding issues would be addressed in this plan, as well.  Estimated cost is $8 million:

2021627612_NewCutunderpass8M.thumb.jpg.730895ea596017ca6294a6e3523a99b6.jpg

Pedestrian bridge over RR tracks at Sibley Street is estimated at $3 million:

1331905702_Sibleypedbridge3M.thumb.jpg.affe4f62c827b920caf607c4106172b2.jpg

Widening of Seminole Drive and adding sidewalk is estimated at $5 million:

1271648579_Seminolewide-side5M.thumb.jpg.5f203379ddb3877231f81bd2e512c9a2.jpg

Still think the main focus should be on New Cut Road, and the county should apply for federal funds ASAP.  Potentially lots of money available for this type of project.  I hope it's taken seriously and continues along the process to make it a reality.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wow, I wasn't expecting that level of detail. Good for Una/Saxon. I agree that New Cut Rd should be the priority, but only if they make the sidewalk twice as wide under the bridge.  

The only way these could happen is if the County forks over a lot of $$.

Alternatively SPATS could add them to their planning list, but its hard to say how high of a priority funding would be relative to other projects in the area. Still, you gotta start somewhere.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2022 at 10:27 PM, Spartan said:

Wow, I wasn't expecting that level of detail. Good for Una/Saxon. I agree that New Cut Rd should be the priority, but only if they make the sidewalk twice as wide under the bridge.  

The only way these could happen is if the County forks over a lot of $$.

Alternatively SPATS could add them to their planning list, but its hard to say how high of a priority funding would be relative to other projects in the area. Still, you gotta start somewhere.

According to the Community Revitalization Partnership Committee of Una Saxon and Arcadia, "The five infrastructure projects we presented to the CTC Committee and SPATS Committee were put on the long-range plan.  Funding has to be found first."  Good to see this positive step taken.  I hope the County applies for federal funding for some of these projects.

Edited by westsider28
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

At tonight's County Council meeting, Wofford students presented a study of Arcadia/Saxon/Una that found at least 150 abandoned homes in the area.  The number of abandoned and condemned houses in a four-mile radius of the three communities is the highest concentration in Spartanburg County. 

I hate that the only reaction by Council seemed to be the typical "demolish the condemned homes".  Is there any proof that an overgrown empty lot is better than a structure (that in some cases can still be saved/renovated)?  I feel like we are too quick to demolish (in the US in general, really).  I also think that the County is poorly equipped to properly deal with large swaths of essentially "urban" blight.  The City has more experience, but this is all outside City limits.

Anyway, it says that Wofford will identify who owns the properties and how the properties are distributed in neighborhoods. 

I've already looked into this a bit on GIS and found that over 200 properties (mostly in Una) are owned by the Buff family (mostly Curtis, but also Margaret, Clifford, and Ray).  They essentially appear to be slum lords.  I hope Wofford looks into this in-depth, because I feel like there has to be an strange/interesting story here.  Google didn't turn up anything about them.  Very odd.

573124824_buffprops.thumb.jpg.aa8808cc807966c527ea7e8c02e69605.jpg

Edit: GoUpstate also has an article about the Wofford study

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

That is interesting. That part of town is so isolated - I feel like the solution is a major road realignment or two to help open it up.

That said, the way real estate is going these days the proximity to 85 might make it a new haven for Greenville commuters who want cheaper real estate :lol: