Clemson Architecture Center

krazeeboi

I've tried to find it... It was in the Greenville News's Pickens County Weekly Sampler thing that I get for some reason. But it turns out that info was also incorrect. Thats the Greenville News for you I guess.....

It is, in fact 82 acres in N Chas. Here is the real info from Clemson, which I actually trust to be correct.

Here is the link: http://clemsonews.clemson.edu/WWW_releases...091605main.html

That link provides alot of info about what Clemson is going around the state and all of htis money they they were recently awarded.

Some edited excerpts:

North Charleston City Council gave Clemson 82 acres of land for its new Restoration Research Campus.

The review board awarded Clemson $10.3 million in matching state funds to enhance the university

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that is for the Restoration Research Facility....a separate and distinct project from the Architecture Center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is precisely correct. I looked for the article in P & C, and here it is:

Grant helps Clemson create campus in Charleston

This project by Clemson will bring in 90 full-time jobs and a $5.3 million annual payroll. This comes from the forefront of the restoration of the Hunley submarine. The CAC is still slated to be built downtown, so I'm currently breathing a sigh of relief. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:angry: Aw, man! Can people in my hometown ever get a clue? Where did you get this information, Spartan? That's news to me. I'm telling you guys, the north city just takes everything new and modern away, and Charleston WILL end up becoming a big urban museum if they keep this up.

Hate to break the news to you, but it's already a small "urban museum". Old-line Charlestonians have a very unhealthy obsession with the distant past.

It may be a museum, but its a really cool one. Charleston is the only city in the South that I have been to that people have to line up to cross at the pedestrian crosswalks. Its like New York, but with out the skyscrapers and Yankees.

...ok, maybe some yankees

Hate to break the news to you, but it's already a small "urban museum". Old-line Charlestonians have a very unhealthy obsession with the distant past.

That is why new-line Charlestonians need to step up and take over in the development process. I agree, there have been conflicts with the "blue bloods" that mostly live DT, and the "modernists". This Ansonborough/CAC conflict is no different.

I'll give the residents this: they did say that they had no problem if the CAC was built in the planned Concord Square development which is currently still going through the necessary paperwork. I guess I'd be OK if it was built there...you could definitely build a more modern building in that new project.

• 2 months later...

Well, more criticism for this center has now reached past DT Chas and into Cola. This new Charleston County Legislative Delegation Historic Preservation Committee is just another layer of bureaucracy adding opposition to the center, and they're planning on getting Clemson President James Barker to meet with the group soon to discuss the issue.

Mcashlv does have a point...these Ansonborough residents are absolutely elitist, pompous, and arrogant for opposing the center. It currently is a dirt parking lot! :blink: Is that really important for an urban neighborhood to have?!?! Actually, I think it is embarassing for the neighborhood to have a dirt parking lot in the middle of an urban environment, let alone downtown. Clemson has already reduced the size by 6,000 square feet, and these people are constantly dissatisfied. Now, according to this article, the CAC is starting to get statehouse opposition.

[url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=66953

I am so sick of notoanythingborough. They beotch and moan and complain about anything that is ever proposed in their neighborhood. When the theatre conversion was proposed last year you would have thought they were going to build nuclear plant in the neighborhood. They are a bunch elitist pricks. Its a CITY neighborhood. Live in Dunes West if you want peace and quiet all the time. Sheesh.

I find it interesting that the Statehouse is showing opposition to this development. Hmmm... VERY interesting. I wonder... If this were USC planning to build a new architecture center in Charleston, would the opposition be so stiff? A university's origin should have no effect on where it decides to build an educational facility, IMO. I feel your anguish, my friends. Almost anything is better than a dirt parking lot. :blink:

I agree with yall ^^. I know that the mayor is really excited about this project and that he's very involved. I also know that Clemson is trying to be very sensitive to the neighborhood's wants and concerns. People need to realize that this is a big deal. Many cities would love to have this i'm sure, but there's no rival to Charleston's history and historical architecture.

I find it interesting that the Statehouse is showing opposition to this development. Hmmm... VERY interesting. I wonder... If this were USC planning to build a new architecture center in Charleston, would the opposition be so stiff? A university's origin should have no effect on where it decides to build an educational facility, IMO. I feel your anguish, my friends. Almost anything is better than a dirt parking lot. :blink:

Its only the Charleston Delegation that is whining...I think that would be the case no matter which university (or anything else) were making the proposal. If anything, this area has a Clemson lean...much more so than USC.

Its only the Charleston Delegation that is whining...I think that would be the case no matter which university (or anything else) were making the proposal. If anything, this area has a Clemson lean...much more so than USC.

South Carolina overall has more of a Clemson lean. I graduated from USC and grew up a Gamecock fan, but I am convinced more people in SC pull for Clemson.

I grew up a USC Gamecock fan as well, but have long since shed those ties. I do support our home teams against most others, but I have a very hard time pulling for Steve Spurrier. I never have liked him, despite the fact that he's a proven winner as a college head coach. I have begun to follow Clemson more and more because of Tommy Bowden's great character and leadership. They have a rare jem in this man. :)

But back to the topic at hand: I think it is rediculous that people would prefer a piece of dirt over highly progressive and profitable development. To consider such land "untouchable" is beyond all common sense.

Yeah, I agree. And let's not forget that Charleston is McConnell territory. :blink:

I dunno, I find a lot more Carolina fans down Charleston way than I do Clemson fans. Consistently. I went to a sports bar down there (not in a tourist area) on a night where both Clemson and Carolina were playing (not each other though), and there were many more Carolina people present than Clemson. Maybe its one of those things like how you see cars the same as yours all the time?

Clemson's ties to Charleston are in its architectural program. Its had a presence down there for many years. I don't think USC has anything like that in the Charleston area.

We're in the South Carolina forum here, so Carolina's true identity is implied :P

I didn't mean that which affilitation an architectural center had was important. Clemson's architectural program is very good, and a Charleston center will only help it. I am certain the negotiations will work out.

my experience has been that this area strongly leans to Clemson. I rarely run into other SC grads, but I run into Clemson grads/supporters all the time. Now I deal with a lot of Architects and Clemson being the only arch. school in the state, the majority of them are Clemson, but even the local paper seems (to me) to lean to Clemson.

I am so sick of notoanythingborough. They beotch and moan and complain about anything that is ever proposed in their neighborhood. When the theatre conversion was proposed last year you would have thought they were going to build nuclear plant in the neighborhood. They are a bunch elitist pricks. Its a CITY neighborhood. Live in Dunes West if you want peace and quiet all the time. Sheesh.

Voyager, I couldn't have said it any better. I especially like the nickname for the neighborhood! :lol:

Really, I wish something could be done to beat some common sense into these snobs. But like I have said before about this neighborhood, they are truly obsessed with the past. They are practically isolationists among a dense, integrated urban environment. The Concord Park development is another example of their idiocy. They have thrown opposition to this development as well, saying they they want Concord Park to remain as it is...a worthless patch of green grass! I don't think they understand what it means when they are living downtown. Valuable land in DT such as the CAC lot and the Concord Park has to be utilized and densified.

Right now, because of the lack of foot traffic in the Concord Park vicinity, there is literally an activity deadspot on East Bay Street. The nearby attractions such as IMAX and SC Aquarium have good activity, but they are physically disconnected with the rest of the tourist area because of the park. Imagine how much more robust the activity will be once the Concord Park is developed! Yet, if it were left to this neighborhood, they would rather let areas like this die-off.

I am so sick of notoanythingborough. They beotch and moan and complain about anything that is ever proposed in their neighborhood.

I;m sure you've all heard of NIMBYs, right? Not In My Back Yard.

Well, this group can aptly be described as BANANAs- Build Absolutely Nothing ANywhere Anytime.

Archived